Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, could anybody please let me know how to change the MAC address of the virtual machine under Fusion? I want WinXP installed on my virtual machine to have the same address (set by me) every time it is run. Thanks.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Are you required to use the vendors range or not? Can I put any vendor in there?

You are limited to VMWare's range.

Plus, most software that is bound to a MAC address knows those ranges so you can't generally run them in a VM.

B

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
It doesn't appear that I am limited in this release. I'm seeing that I can put anything in there and you notice that the GUI ("Advanced Options") lets you put anything in. It doesn't try to prevent you can add for Vendor.

You are limited to VMWare's range.

Plus, most software that is bound to a MAC address knows those ranges so you can't generally run them in a VM.

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
It doesn't appear that I am limited in this release. I'm seeing that I can put anything in there and you notice that the GUI ("Advanced Options") lets you put anything in. It doesn't try to prevent you can add for Vendor.

Interesting. Does it actually work the way you expect it to?

I know in VMWare Player you can enter whatever you want, but it just masks it to be within the range when you run the actual VM.

B

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
ifconfig in linux shows the one I set and it's not in VM wares range.

Interesting. Does it actually work the way you expect it to?

I know in VMWare Player you can enter whatever you want, but it just masks it to be within the range when you run the actual VM.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.