PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Touch Sound Balance Problem

GarethW
Dec 17, 2007, 03:49 AM
Recently I purchased an ipod touch, which worked perfectly for a short time. The problem is, one day I turned it on, plugged in the ear phones, and the sound only goes to one ear piece! ie. a sound balance problem.
If I remove the 3.5 connector by a half centimetre, the sound is perfect but it's not practical as the connector doesn't stay in the one place - it pops out. Any suggestions as to how to fix it? Or do you think Apple will repair it as its still in warranty? The problem is also, i've jail broken it. Someone please help! Thanks, Gareth.

Cache
Dec 17, 2007, 04:45 AM
Just restore it and take it back. They shouldn't give you a hard time returning it at all. Don't know if they'll give you a brand new one or sent this one in for repairs, that kind of depends on the store.

GarethW
Dec 17, 2007, 05:00 AM
Thank-you for the reply. Restoring the ipod, even though it's been jailbroken, won't cause any problems? It will simply look like the original state? Ta

dagored
Dec 17, 2007, 07:18 AM
Thank-you for the reply. Restoring the ipod, even though it's been jailbroken, won't cause any problems? It will simply look like the original state? Ta

Correct

BigCanoe
Dec 17, 2007, 08:19 AM
Same problem here. Mine was doing that, then it started working again, then it was broken again. I took it to the Apple store, they tried it...and it was working again. And now, its broken again. Heading back to Apple this week.

GarethW
Dec 18, 2007, 02:33 AM
Its good to hear that I'm not the only one with the problem.. please tell me what the apple store say when you return!
Ok.. I've restored the ipod and it's nearly 100% back to the original state. A slight problem remains though.. when I jailbraked it, I downloaded a different background/screensaver type thing, it's still there! I want the original 'world globe' back. How can I get it? Thanks.

shigzeo
Dec 18, 2007, 07:57 AM
maybe you need to see if it is the earbuds. check with another pair of headphones. this does not usually happen with sources to suddenly fix and then break again. check that first.

BigCanoe
Dec 18, 2007, 10:08 AM
maybe you need to see if it is the earbuds. check with another pair of headphones. this does not usually happen with sources to suddenly fix and then break again. check that first.

Sadly, its not that. I have tried it with several pairs of headphones, it just seems flaky in its flakiness

GarethW
Dec 19, 2007, 05:59 AM
Yeah, I've also tried different earphones etc.. they don't make a difference.
I'll just return it.
Please continue to report any similiar problems on this thread.
Thanks!

BigCanoe
Dec 19, 2007, 01:21 PM
Back from the Apple store. The Genius checked it out, verified the mono output problem, and authorized a replacement. He went in the back, came out with a fresh 16gb touch. A few minutes later, I was on my way. Pretty nice and easy!

LordEntropy
Dec 19, 2007, 02:41 PM
Back from the Apple store. The Genius checked it out, verified the mono output problem, and authorized a replacement. He went in the back, came out with a fresh 16gb touch. A few minutes later, I was on my way. Pretty nice and easy!

When you say new was it a full new box or one n a brown cardboard box which I believe is a refurb?

BigCanoe
Dec 19, 2007, 02:42 PM
Neither ;)

It was in a white cardboard box, with the ipod only. So a refurb I think, yep.

GarethW
Dec 20, 2007, 02:27 AM
It's encouraging to hear that apple gave you a replacement so easily. I guess that it's a shame, however, to hear that you were given a refurb.. I guess that's the procedure though.
I phoned the apple store yesterday, as there are no apple stores in N.Ireland, a courier is picking my ipod up on Monday and I'll get a replacment within 10 working days (so they say!).

Big T
Jun 17, 2008, 03:37 PM
it is jack output that is the problem i think. I think i recked mine by stacking a normal jackstick too hard into the jackstick output. there only comes sound out of the right earplug, and sometimes weekly in sterero.

Troels from Denmark. (16gb touch)

dtadams24
Mar 17, 2009, 10:44 AM
ok first off i'm glad i'm not the only one this has happened to bc technology doesn't like me lol

xbox got 3 rings of death twice and phone completely fried 3 memory cards so i had to send it off. so i didn't know if it was just my luck or what that the touch screwed up

but from what it sounds like you guys are under warranty when yours messed up right?

alas mine is not under warranty anymore therefore im not sure if apple will just give me a refurb.

anyway i can fix it on my own or pay some pawn shop or will apple take it back and replace it?

bbailey123
Mar 27, 2009, 10:49 PM
I'm having the same problem, i was wondering i still have the box and everything, its still in warranty but i dont have the receipt, is that going to be a problem?:confused:

maddogharper
Mar 31, 2009, 04:20 PM
I haven't heard about these problems before but it seems there are a hell of a lot of these things cocking up all over the place, and if the touch wasn't such a cool, fun, useful and user friendly, thing I wouldn't bother with apple again....

In my experience an ipod touch has a fault free life span of around 6 months, I'm now on my 3rd in a year and a half. That in mind, I feel it is way over priced, I'm just glad I don't have to rely on it in an emergency like some of these poor suckers that bought the iphone, as it must have similar faults as it is the same thing with a phone in built. So either get your act together Apple or bring the price down, quality not quantity....

My tip for anyone buying an ipod or and electrical item really is buy it from Currys as they offer the "What ever happens policy" for all items bought from them, in short it's accidental insurance I guess, if I want something and I can buy it from there, (unless of course it's ridiculously cheap on ebay) I buy it from them as things always go wrong at some point;

And like the name suggests, "what ever happens" as long as it was an "accident" they will repair it for Free, unless of course they cannot repair it within 21 days in which case they will present you with A) a new one as with my "ipods" or in the case of my laptop last year, which cost me 500, B) they will send you a check to the NEW value, which some how they worked out to be 800, yes I was quite chuffed.... The cover lasts for three years, you can pay for the three years cover or like me I pay 3.50 a month and have now had two no questions asked 16gb ipod touchs replaced to my door and of course that store credit of 800. I find it very simple to claim, I give the faulty item to the store of purchase and they fetch my details off the system (as I am useless at keeping receipts) and they send it off and deal with it all.

I hope this is useful....
Mark Harper.:D

maddogharper
Mar 31, 2009, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about the receipt, you really need to prove it's in warranty, they should be able to deal with your enquiry via the serial number.
This will tell them if it is still in warranty or not and if it is they should be under obligation to put it right, be interesting to hear how you get on with that....

Mark.:confused:

Muncher
Mar 31, 2009, 05:47 PM
If the connector is a bit loose, you can push it back to the point where you'll only get one side. I get the same effect if I don't fully plug in my headphones.

islands
Jan 10, 2010, 05:12 PM
I am also happy to learn that others have had this same issues.
I purchased an ipod touch for my 18 year old son last June. The sound issues came up in November. He won't use it and he does not have another ipod, he is just over it.
He took it to the Apple Store Kahala and they would only plug in mac headphones which somehow worked at that moment. It did not work when we got home though.
I Brought it back they refused to replace it.
Sometimes I can only hear the music and very faintly the voices or one side does not work at all.
I am going back today armed with my ipod and his and every set of headphones we own. we should not be required to use their headphones in order for them to work properly.
I will bring up the fact that other people have the same issues. I have spent well over $10,000 on Mac products in the last 5 years. I am not leaving quietly unless I leave with a new ipod touch 16 gb.

TechnoBuddhist
May 26, 2010, 06:05 PM
just read this thread and was having identical problems! As a test before going to Apple shop I tried plugging in a pair of headphones that has 3 metal bands on the jack. 2 for stereo and 1 for voice(it was a voice enabled MID device). I guess a boom mic/headset is the same.

I plugged it in and I got perfectly balanced sound! I compared the ipod jack with this one and the 2 stereo bands line up at the end of the jack, but the cable end of the jack looked about 1mm too short on the ipod jack.

I figured that the ipod jack wasn't going in far enough because of this 1mm and causing the problem. However it was the rubber sheath that protects the jack was causing a 1mm overhang. I pulled off the sheath, plugged in the jack and VOILA solved.

I don't know if it was because I wasn't pushing the jack in as far as it would go that was causing my problem in the first place OR if it was somehow the act of plugging in the 3 band jack that fixed it!

Either way it's working again and I'm a happy bunny. I'll update this thread if it stops working and therefore not a good fix.