PDA

View Full Version : Catamount Software's PocketMoney for iPhone

MacRumors
Dec 17, 2007, 08:48 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Catamount software (http://www.catamount.com/) has released a beta for PocketMoney (http://www.catamount.com/iPhoneApps/PocketMoney.html) for the iPhone.
PocketMoney was designed to do one thing and do it very well - track your finances quickly with the smallest amount of work. PocketMoney will help you keep your checking, savings, credit card and petty cash accounts in line.

Some screenshots (http://justanotheriphoneblog.com/wordpress/2007/12/17/pocketmoney-1st-native-personal-finance-manager-app-for-iphone/) are available of the beta application.

While it's nice to have a money application for the iPhone, the significance of this announcement for me was Catamount software's involvement in iPhone development. For those who aren't familiar with Catamount, they were a well respected Newton developer (http://www.catamount.com/NewtonApps/index.html) with a number of popular Newton applications (including PocketMoney for the Newton) in the late 1990s. Since the Newton's demise, it appears they continued development on the Palm (http://www.catamount.com/PalmApps/index.html). It's good to see that they are "back" developing for the iPhone. The release of the iPhone development kit in February will hopefully lure more 3rd party developers to the iPhone. For now, PocketMoney requires a Jailbroken iPhone to be installed.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/12/17/catamount-softwares-pocketmoney-for-iphone/)

RichP
Dec 17, 2007, 08:57 AM
I could see using this to keep track of a checking account, but I would be very leery of having any additional financial data on my phone.

Manatee
Dec 17, 2007, 09:02 AM
It's great to see PocketMoney for the iPhone! This is one of the apps I want when it is done via the SDK, and I can use it on my "as Apple intended" iPhone.

This is a great start toward making the iPhone competitive with other PDA phones like the Treo, Blackberry, and Win Mobile. I wish Catamount success on the iPhone platform.

vincebio
Dec 17, 2007, 09:06 AM
installed it, and promptly removed it when i saw how detailed you could enter your financial information....no chance!

DotComCTO
Dec 17, 2007, 10:31 AM
Very encouraging to see Catamount developing for the iPhone. I most certainly recall them from the Newton days. I am wondering why they're going the "jailbreak" route instead of the official SDK.

:confused:

--DotComCTO

nbs2
Dec 17, 2007, 11:09 AM
Very encouraging to see Catamount developing for the iPhone. I most certainly recall them from the Newton days. I am wondering why they're going the "jailbreak" route instead of the official SDK.

Probably using the jailbreak folks as beta testers. This way, when the SDK is released, they should have most of the bugs worked out and can go official almost immediately.

installed it, and promptly removed it when i saw how detailed you could enter your financial information....no chance!

How much protection does the software offer? Can you password/PIN protect the program?

As long as the software is on the phone and not web based, the only obvious threat is someone getting their hands on your phone. I keep a note with some account info in my Keychain - if the software can lock itself down in the same way, it could be worthwhile.

GoCubsGo
Dec 17, 2007, 11:49 AM
Well isn't PocketMoney a MS app? I used PocketMoney on my WM devices to track expenses as I travel. regardless of trademarks and such as long as it let me lock it down I wouldn't have too much of a problem using it again but only to track what I am spending while on a job or during vacations.

Seamaster
Dec 17, 2007, 01:03 PM
I used this on my Palm, back in the day. An excellent app, and the developer is very friendly and approachable. I wish him well with it.

DotComCTO
Dec 17, 2007, 01:37 PM
Probably using the jailbreak folks as beta testers. This way, when the SDK is released, they should have most of the bugs worked out and can go official almost immediately.

Makes sense to some degree - especially on UI, features, etc; however, I'd expect some amount of re-coding and QA when the official SDK comes out. I'd have to figure that the official SDK will be a good deal different than the unofficial one. I wonder whether the up-front beta testing is worth the additional effort. The one thing it does do is give Catamount a lead for mindshare. People in-the-know will know about Catamount's iPhone product. I guess it gives them more of a foot in the door.

:cool:

--DotComCTO

HardyMacia
Dec 17, 2007, 01:59 PM
Well isn't PocketMoney a MS app? I used PocketMoney on my WM devices to track expenses as I travel.

PocketMoney is not a MS app. It took a lawsuit against MS, but I do own the registered trademark for PocketMoney.

You probably used PocketMoney on your WM device. It's a been available for Windows CE/WM/PPC since 2001.

HardyMacia
Dec 17, 2007, 02:02 PM

How much information you enter is completely up to the user so you can be as detailed or not as you like.

HardyMacia
Dec 17, 2007, 02:08 PM

Exactly. I'm guessing the SDK isn't going to be much different than what I'm already using. There might be a few days of changes, but I won't be starting from scratch. My customers and myself have been patiently ;-) waiting for me to port the software (I can finally stop carrying around my Palm.). Plus there are a lot of users who have jailbroken their phones.

How much protection does the software offer? Can you password/PIN protect the program?

You will be able to set a password in 1.0. There is a currently a placeholder in the interface for the password still to be implemented.

Peel
Dec 17, 2007, 02:39 PM
This is great news! Thanks Hardy Macia for continuing to develope your great products.

I've been a user of MPG and PocketMoney since the Newton messagepad days, then on my Palm Vx. I've missed having access to these since I made the jump to the iPhone, so am very excited for the future, especially post-SDK release.

Timothy
Dec 18, 2007, 12:21 AM
Now...can Apple please bring back the Newton note pad? :-)

What else...some of the personal productivy apps on my Newton were near-perfect. :-)

gooddog
Jul 14, 2008, 12:44 AM
How much information you enter is completely up to the user so you can be as detailed or not as you like.

I've never used S/W of this kind before.

(1) Is there a free manual, on line, where I can get all the details ?

(2) Does using PocketMoney for iPhone 2.0 require me to trust any one
( say, your web server sysop ) with my banking passwords etc. as other
app's do ( e.g., A Personal Assistant ) ?
Or is it entirely within my handheld and so I trust only my
on line banks and the normal laws that give me some protection
from theft ?

I am not asking here for a character reference for your personnel : I just
want to know if it is a web-based app' or a strictly iPhone one.

(3) The "set password" for the app itself; what kind of encryption does it use?
For example, SplashId uses 256 bit Blowfish.

(4) Does the app' communicate with anyone else , behind my back, for any
purpose whatsoever, or just with the banks I intend ?

(4) Will it interface with SplashId to get my passwords ?

Thanks,

---gooddog

HardyMacia
Jul 15, 2008, 02:48 AM
(1) Is there a free manual, on line, where I can get all the details ?

There are several tips that guide you through using it for the first time built into the application.

I haven't created a user manual for it yet, but I've pointed some people to the user manual for the Palm OS version. They are different, but similar.
http://www.catamount.com/packages/Palm/PocketMoney/PM-PalmOS-Manual.pdf

(2) Does using PocketMoney for iPhone 2.0 require me to trust any one
( say, your web server sysop ) with my banking passwords etc. as other*
app's do ( e.g.,*A Personal Assistant*) ?*
Or is it entirely within my handheld and so I trust only my*
on line banks and the normal laws that give me some protection
from theft ?

Everything is on the device.

The only thing that happens off the device are the pie charts, but I give you two warnings that PocketMoney is going to use Google Charts to display the pie charts so you can choose not to use that feature.

I am not asking here for a character reference for your personnel : I just*
want to know if it is a web-based app' or a strictly iPhone one.

iPhone.

(3) The "set password" for the app itself; what kind of encryption does it use?
For example, SplashId uses 256 bit Blowfish.

It is stored as binary in the preferences...non encrypted. I suggest you turn on the iPhone security also.

(4) Does the app' communicate with anyone else , behind my back, for any*
purpose whatsoever, or just with the banks I intend ?

See Google Charts comment above.

(4) Will it interface with SplashId to get my passwords ?

No.