Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nerveosu

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2001
everyone has heard about a possible apple pda.. well I want to speak out on this. From my everyday life point of view there is a need. See Attached.

How much computer hardware do you guys carry along with you during the day. Post you pics.

Do you think they will try to incorporiate a phone.. i don't think it is nesessary.

-bill

Attachments

• help_me_out.jpg
    help_me_out.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,520

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I've found that I really don't need a pda. I have had access to a few, and found that I only used them briefly, and then after a short time, only for games. I have the iPod, which I use a hell of a lot more then I ever used a pda. As for my cell phone, I get a new one every two years :D, so I don't want it incorporated into another device.

Just my take on it. I seriously doubt that I would use a pda, even if it was created by Apple. Unless, it would run the full version of FMP. THEN I would have a real use for it.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Originally posted by AlphaTech
I've found that I really don't need a pda. I have had access to a few, and found that I only used them briefly, and then after a short time, only for games. I have the iPod, which I use a hell of a lot more then I ever used a pda. As for my cell phone, I get a new one every two years :D, so I don't want it incorporated into another device.

Just my take on it. I seriously doubt that I would use a pda, even if it was created by Apple. Unless, it would run the full version of FMP. THEN I would have a real use for it.

i agree completely... i jumped in fairly early into the pda craze with a palm 3 (just a three.. no extra letters at the end!) but stopped using it fairly soon because it was pretty much worthless

nothing like notes on my hand :) there ain't no substitution for a real palm!

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Palm is not a PDA...

Let's all repeat...the Palm is only a poor attempt at a PDA. If your vision of a PDA is a Palm, then you've been given a poor vision of what a PDA is and can do.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
I need it all rolled into one.

I carry a phone, a palm, and iPod, and sometimes when forced, a stupid pager. I also usually carry a digital camera, but a quality camera would make my dream device too big...

These devices share too many similarities not to be incoporated.

LCD - All
Memory - All
Communication - Phone & Pager
Organization - Phone, Palm, iPod
Battery - All
Sync - Palm, iPod, Phone

There should be one device....I'm looking at those Samsung phones, but also the [teenagerish] Danger HipTop, but nothing does all tasks with the elegance that Apple would deliver.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Nipsy, keep dreaming, because that is the only place that you will find all of those features in one place. At least for the foreseeable future. MAYBE in a few years something will be out, MAYBE. There are too many pager companies and systems out there for a single device to work with all of them. Cell phone standards change every few years at the longest, and they can be different in different parts of the country/world.

I can't see Apple wasting their time, and energy, on a device that has a smaller niche then even the iPod does. Besides the fact that such a device would have to cost several hundred dollars. Not many people would be willing to spend that much on one item that wasn't a full fledged computer. Look at how people complain about the price of the iPods. You want to add a few hundred or more to that in order to add features that very few people would actually use??

Personally, I have a pager (provided by, and paid for, work), cell phone (mine), iPod (5GB version that I paid for) but have 0 use for a pda type device. In order for a pda type device to be at least somewhat attractive (or useful) to me, it would have to have too many features for it to be cheap. It would need to be able to run enough full fledged applications for me to actually use. Like a FULL/regular version of FMP, Outlook, excel... not slimmed/stripped down versions, the real deal.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Nipsy, keep dreaming, because that is the only place that you will find all of those features in one place. At least for the foreseeable future. MAYBE in a few years something will be out, MAYBE.

I'd love to see one soon, but I have to agree with AlphaTech, it ain't going to happen. Go take a look at the OQO and see what happens with them. This small handheld - with out the phone - will be the iPod for the PC world. Things are going to change, but Apple's made its move for now and they'll keep it as it is. Maybe if enough iPod hacks come along, things might develop sooner, but until then you're going to need a bigger carrying bag.

nerveosu

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2001
I would have to disagree with the gentemen who thinks a pda is worthless. I use all day long for multiple purposes. Mostly keeping track of information from clients and staff. The memo pad and email sync funtions are very valueable to me.

If it just had a hard drive.

-bill

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Then you are the exception to the rule. Never mind the fact that pda sales have been dropping for some time now, with the makers scrambling to revive a gasping market.

If we see an Apple pda before 2010 (if ever) I will be very surprised.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Nipsy, keep dreaming, because that is the only place that you will find all of those features in one place. At least for the foreseeable future. MAYBE in a few years something will be out, MAYBE. There are too many pager companies and systems out there for a single device to work with all of them. Cell phone standards change every few years at the longest, and they can be different in different parts of the country/world.

Actually, the Danger Hiptop does them all (save pager) now, and I've seen & used a prototype. They will have the device rolled out by Christmas. I could easily have my paging service rerouted through SMS (which the Danger does) on a client to client basis.

The bad part is that it doesn't do them well.

If Danger put a HD in their device, and unleashed Ives on it, I would gladly pay $1000 for it. I paid $549 for my Palm Vx when they came out, because it was LESS to carry, everyday, day in, day out. I'm almost ready to pay that much for an outdated B & W Palm in a Samsung phone, because it is less to carry.

I don't care too much about cell phone standards, because I can know that my phone (post 2001) will work anywhere in the world. I don't need Tetris and pictures, I just need a phone. I still have my first generation Motorola brick, and it still works. New standards are great, but they don't kill the old standards. Also, at a $1000 price point, I could replace this device every 2 years, beacause to have the convenience, ease of use, and saved time (not to mention LESS TO CARRY), I'd pay $1.75 a day.

People complain about iPod costs, but people of means just buy them. The same would be true of the Apple ubër device. It may not be a market maker in total sales, but imagine the mindshare...like the NexTel revolution.

BTW, Alpha, do you wear all that crap on a toolbelt?

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by kishba

i agree completely... i jumped in fairly early into the pda craze with a palm 3 (just a three.. no extra letters at the end!) but stopped using it fairly soon because it was pretty much worthless

I gotta stand up for the PDA here, if used properly, it can be a damn handy device.

Outside of the obvious phone number value, I can find all my stupid Air Miles numbers, I know which books I own (about 3000), and I check a realtional db so I don't accidentally buy a dupe (DVDs & CDs as well).

I have my schedule, my local transit schedules (and route maps), my baseball team's schedule, my snow/surf report, my tailored news, my résumé, and a universal remote control.

It's all in how you use it. I could carry most of this in my wallet, but in case you've not noticed from my previous 8 trillion posts, I'm big on having LESS TO CARRY!

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Nipsy is right. The rest of you guys just have no imagination. But you know what? you shouldnt have to. The companies developing these products need to make them so that they easily fill are needs, and do not require any imagination.

What i really want from a handheld is a wireless terminal for my desktop. It woudl still need all the normal pda features (+hard drive) but would need a remote desktop function built-in.

I agree that something like this is not likely for a VERY long time, but it is certainly possible by today's technology. A ibm 5GB microdrive, bluetooth, airport, high speed wireless modem, lithium polymer battery, remote desktop, newton handwriting recognition. Its all there already and wouldnt cost much to make. the big cost would be that hard drive.

I still think a cellphone should be separate though, but thats because i think with such a device the cellphoen could be reduced in size to a earbud size device with some of the bulk placed behind the ear like an old fashioned hearing aid. Big button the top of the device to answer. rings only in your ear. dialing by voice or via handheld. basically the handheld with control the device but all cellphone specific hardware would be in the ear.

Bluetooth between the phone and handheld. bluetooth to your stylus and other ear bug for music. airport for local networks. wireless modem for roaming. control your desktop wherever you go from the palm of your hand.

o and the bluetooth stylus. i figure many people will still want to take note on paper, but woudl like everything also in their handheld for searching and organization. so attach a "stylus" (which would just be a pen sheath) to your pen or pencil and write away and everything is communicated to the handheld as well as put on paper.

make sure a good bar code scanner add-on is possible for industry. give it a scaled down osx (which shoudl be easy do to the unix core). And you have amazing function for under $1000.

I mean if the hip top folks can put out their convergent device for under $100 im sure you could pack some more features in and keep it below $1000. If they release it after OSX develops some more and makes further inroads into new markets then such a device would sell better than the iPod.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Nipsy
BTW, Alpha, do you wear all that crap on a toolbelt?

Actually, the motorola Timesport phone is rather small (about the same size as the startac was, but with better features). The pager I have from work is even smaller. I usually have the phone clipped to my belt, and pager on my pocket, since I only wear it at work. If they could make the combo device as small as the TimeSport phone, I might consider it. I don't want anything larger, because it has several features that I MIGHT use once in a while. How many devices do you carry with you on the weekends?? I bring my cell phone, just in case I either need it, or want to, call someone.

Like I said before, for pda functions/features to be of ANY real use to me, it needs to be able to run a full version of FMP (NOT the version that has it's nuts cut off). A barcode scanner would be nice for work, since we have barcodes on all computers, monitors, scanners and anything worth more then a keyboard or mouse. It would have made taking inventory much easier, but not that we have finished that, it is easy to maintain it.

Currently, my cell phone weighs in at a few ounces, as does the pager. With that little to schlep around, it's no biggie.

Who would want to shell out $1000+ every two years to update a multi-function device?? That's nuts. Then there would be the task of transferring all of your information from the older one to the newer one, getting all of the services transferred too. That might not be as easy as you think. I know, when updating cell phones, they have to program the new one to the one your calls come to. It is a little easier if you keep the same phone number (which they would prefer you do), but still can take 30 minutes or more at times to switch (depends on how busy they are, and how good they are).

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
I'm the happiest man ever!

I do not have to carry anything most of the time. When I was a kid I had the oportunity to have about all I wanted I I did carry so many things with me at all time that for some time now I'm sick of wearing anything non-organic with me.

I have my cell phone, there I have my phone numbers and a calculator, sometimes I carry my agenda just because I have more phone numbers there. That is it.

I spend a lot of time searching in the internet for softwares and hardwares to make my livefe much more easier. Right now I'm doing about everything with my Pismo. I just need to get a faster and bigger HD for it. I have the G4 400 for rendering and that is it. I will not gonna buy anything else to carrie around. It is so anoying to leave thing in the car or in the studio, etc.

I preffer to save money and get simplier rather than buying and updating stuff.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Apple should make a device that incorporates everything I carried in my pockets today:
  • Wallet
  • Keys
  • Phone
  • Pen
  • Spare change and notes that I'm too lazy to put in my wallet
  • Sunnies

Attachments

• pocket.jpg
    pocket.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,161

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
apple will eventually have to have a pda when a pda one day becomes the only personal computer out there

at work, we will possibly resort back to dummy terminals and software may one day only reside on the net for a monthly fee like television

the desktop computer with its own hard drive and ram and laptops will likely be seen as huge eyesores of yesteryear

when i first got a cell phone, it weighed several pounds and everybody thought that thing was so small and sleek because it didn't have to be plugged into a car...there was no term cell phone a year earlier, they were called car phones:D

so a personal computer will be a pda and i think the desktop computer will be a dummy terminal with a hardrive and software which is rented over the airwaves and the computer will simply be called a terminal or workstation

telecom is swallowing up computers day by day and this is just evolution

i am a teacher part time and i have seen the field go from data processing majors, to computer science majors, and now the term telecommunications majors is popping up more and more in education circles

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Jef, I hope you are wrong. There is something very satisfying about having a computer at home, or work, that can be totally independant of the net. What happens when the network that you are on goes down (happens too often for some places), or you run out of IP addresses (we have that happen often in our Boston location)?? Without everything on a stand-alone system, you would be screwed (and not be able to work at all). Network speeds are not where they need to be to support everything hosting off the net (either internet or intranet).

My TiBook is a hell of a lot smaller then a terminal could ever be. Not to mention the fact that it can go anywhere, even if there is not high speed internet connection. I could go out to the middle of nowhere (provided they have electricity) and work. Give me a phone line, and I can check email too.

All in all, I think that terminals will not make the kind of come-back you are talking about. Independant systems give people more options and choices then terminals ever could, or can.

ejm625

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2002
I own a handspring visor and use it regularly for the address book, date book, calculator, note pad, and to-do list. But other than those things, I'm not really interested in paying the $20 or so to buy programs for it. Call me cheap but other than what they put in the Palm OS, there's not much else to do. Ok a few games and all, I got over having games on it after a few months. I was impressed by the OQO device. I think Apple could step it up a notch and make a similar device running one of IBMs new G3's (G4 would be nice, but lets be realistic) and a modular (less bloated) version of OS X that would be capable of running most Desktop apps.
To add to this. I don't want an all in one device now. I take my iPod to the gym. God forbid one day I drop it and it dies. Well after I get done crying, I'll go out and buy another one. Well picture a cell phone/PDA/MP3 player strapped to my waist being dropped and broken. You lose all three at the same time. I think what's more important is that these devices be able to talk to each other efficiently.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
ejm625, good points. I actually have one of Handspring's visors sitting on the floor in my closet right now. It lost functionality for me, when the syncing software wouldn't run under OS X. Now that it is available, I MIGHT resurrect it and see about using it for some things.

If Apple was to do a smaller system, I would like to see them use one of the low power consuming processors. Be that a G3 or one of the new G4 chips. Maybe they are waiting until one that uses even less power, and produces less heat before stepping into that market. Granted, many people love their iBooks, and the new ones are nice (a hell of a lot better then the clam shell ones). Personally (since it is a personal computer), I prefer to have as much power inside my computers as possible. I am hoping that Apple makes us all weak in the knees at MWNY with new PowerBooks and towers. I would be very happy with either/both. Only issue I would have, is needing to sell my current PowerBook G4 system (500MHz, 1GB RAM, would put the 20GB drive back into it and configure it as the buyer wants). When the announcement goes out at MWNY, if there is a new PB, then I will probably be looking to sell this one ASAP and get the new one.

I revel in being a MacAddict :D

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
I got this from an inside source. My source is VERY reliable and this thing looks like it will revolutionise how we think.

sinbushar

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Jersey
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen
I got this from an inside source. My source is VERY reliable and this thing looks like it will revolutionise how we think.

.....in primary colors:D :D :D ...it was lame..but still:D

adel

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Jef, I hope you are wrong. There is something very satisfying about having a computer at home, or work, that can be totally independant of the net. What happens when the network that you are on goes down (happens too often for some places), or you run out of IP addresses (we have that happen often in our Boston location)?? Without everything on a stand-alone system, you would be screwed (and not be able to work at all). Network speeds are not where they need to be to support everything hosting off the net (either internet or intranet).

My TiBook is a hell of a lot smaller then a terminal could ever be. Not to mention the fact that it can go anywhere, even if there is not high speed internet connection. I could go out to the middle of nowhere (provided they have electricity) and work. Give me a phone line, and I can check email too.

All in all, I think that terminals will not make the kind of come-back you are talking about. Independant systems give people more options and choices then terminals ever could, or can.

Of course a dumb terminal can't do all the work a "big" workstation can do, but already today you don't need the power of a normal workstation for many tasks, especially the daily office stuff. A Thin Client is enough to run a web-browser and the standard office-apps. No need for a lot of CPU/GPU power. They just need to organize information. Information that is on servers and hosts somewhere.
Pros like us, in the need to have raw power right at their desks are a minority in the future. At least in business life. So keep that in mind.

Of course your TiBook is a nice piece of Hardware, but it is just a Computer, liker any Terminal. I don't see why a Terminal couldn't be even smaller than that, since it is hosting less components!?

In a few years in inhabited areas the net will be always there at any place, using new wireless technology that we maybe even don't know so far (e.g. UMTS in Europe). So as long as you are not at a camp site in the middle of nowhere (you wouldn't have electricity there anyway, right? And if, they will provide the net through the power-cables) that "not being able to connect" shouldn't be an issue.

Of course it is nice to have a stand-alone-machine at home, that can run just for itself with all the software you need, but the question is, is it necessary and even if, is it necessary for everybody? The software industry is killing itself by being forced to produce yearly updates to keep the company running, because that's the only way they make cash.

What I see for the future is, that you will rent Software for a certain time, but not buying it anymore, like today. This way the software manufacturers can concentrate more on features the people really need, instead of pumping up their apps with stuff nobody really needs to have an excuse to sell an update. This is just the beginning.

What all this has to do with the "terminal discussion"? Well, people won't install software anymore (in most cases), they just use the stuff they need at any place at any time. They pay per use or per year/month/week. The cases when you don't have access will be so seldom, that it is probably almost never an issue anyway. Bandwidth will still develop as well as reliability of the network infrastructure. How often do you have to repair and maintain your car these days compared to models 50 years ago?

I am pretty sure the next few years will bring a big change in how we use computers and related devices. We just entered the stone-age...

And one day the use of a "terminal" will give your more choices than a stand-alone-system ever could, or can.

Greetings from Europe,

groovebuster

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
groovebuster...

One, I want the internet provider of MY choice, not one forced upon me.

Two, Widespread high speed internet is many years away. Even then, you will need to sign up for it.

Three, m$ tried to have the subscription base for windblows, not gonna happen. Too many people screamed about their proposal where if you didn't get it, they were going to charge you even more. People (at least in the US) don't like to be forced into anything.

Four, internet via electrial wirings?? Not all that viable at this point. That MIGHT work within your home, provided you have the necessary hardware to do it. You still need to get the source signal into the house.

I don't know how they think over in Germany, but we are free thinkers over here. I want more options/choices, not less. If I want to go someplace with nothing other then a power generator (off the power grid) and use my laptop to do up some 3D projects or photoshop work, I want to be able to.

As for the annual updates, I know of only one product that ASKS you to update a subscription after the one year of free service is up. That is NAV, and even then, you can deny it and still get the updates. I know more then a few people using old versions (more then a few years old) of Photoshop, Quark, and Illustrator (among other applications) because they didn't FEEL like updating to the newer versions. It is not uncommon for software companies to allow you to update from any version within the past several years to the latest at the update price. That includes BOTH Illustrator and Photoshop. For Illustrator, I believe that you can update from version 7 (forward) to version 10 for the update price. I went from version 8 to 10, without buying version 9 and had no problems updating.

I can't think of any additional holes to shoot through your posting at this point. Maybe more will come to me as the day progresses :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.