PDA

View Full Version : firewire drive

mrjamin
Oct 1, 2003, 07:20 PM
Hey.

I have a LaCie 80gb 7200rpm firewire drive. I'd like to be able to use it on my PC and my mac, but at the moment it doesn't seem possible. The most obvious way around it would be to format it using an MS-DOS filesystem (although it has crappy overheads and truncates filenames) but that didn't seem to work. Any other ideas? Is there any way of enabling NTFS support in OSX? I know you can recompile linux kernels to enable working with NTFS volumes, but is there a similar method for OSX?

Lanbrown
Oct 2, 2003, 10:41 AM
Have you used FAT32? OSX supports it, but not NTFS.

PaisanoMan
Oct 3, 2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Lanbrown
Have you used FAT32? OSX supports it, but not NTFS.

You can try the opposite approach, and access an HFS+ volume from Windows with special software. Just a thought.

mrjamin
Oct 3, 2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by PaisanoMan
You can try the opposite approach, and access an HFS+ volume from Windows with special software. Just a thought.

tried using transmac but that was rubbish - you could only use the drive like a cdrw. didn't know about the fat32 thing so will probably go with that

joeyjojoe
Oct 3, 2003, 02:00 PM
i wouldn't rely on fat32, regardless of what apple says, the combination of mac+fat32 is much less reliable than mac+hfs. you should use MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com) on the windows machine you want to have accessing the drive.