Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fkntotalkaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Alright it looks as if .mkv files will play back using the newest version of nitotv. With a hacked version of Apple TV running NitoTV it will use the best option to play all new formats. It uses mplayer to play .mkv files, and will be able to have Dolby Digital have pass though?:confused: Mplayer also handles ts-video folders, .as well as Divix/xvid avi.

zero_bit

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2005
http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/NitoTV

Guys is anyone doing this patchstick approach to playing .mkv files? I love my apple tv so much I have sold my ps3, xbox 360 elite with HD-DVD and considering ditching the mini to.

Enabling SSH on the AppleTV requires either opening it up or a freshly formatted external drive with OS X on it. Either way, it's a huge pain in the rear, and nitoTV is somewhat of a hack (it's a bit error prone), although it has some very nice features.

I wish someone would hack FrontRow to add such features as interacting with SNES9x and using mplayer to play .mkv files. Or maybe someone has? Can someone point me to a Mac Mini as a media center forum? I'm about fed up with the AppleTV.

Help!

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
Enabling SSH on the AppleTV requires either opening it up or a freshly formatted external drive with OS X on it. Either way, it's a huge pain in the rear, and nitoTV is somewhat of a hack (it's a bit error prone), although it has some very nice features.

I wish someone would hack FrontRow to add such features as interacting with SNES9x and using mplayer to play .mkv files. Or maybe someone has? Can someone point me to a Mac Mini as a media center forum? I'm about fed up with the AppleTV.

It does not require opening the appletv or an external drive. All you need is a usb flash drive (at least 512mb) and the patchstick img.

Also im pretty sure you can install nito for frontrow on leopard, if thats what you meant?

zero_bit

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2005
It does not require opening the appletv or an external drive. All you need is a usb flash drive (at least 512mb) and the patchstick img.

Also im pretty sure you can install nito for frontrow on leopard, if thats what you meant?

All the guides to install nito that I've found said it required SSH, and to enable SSH it seemed like quite a chore.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant! Do you have any links that talk about that?

fkntotalkaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
All the guides to install nito that I've found said it required SSH, and to enable SSH it seemed like quite a chore.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant! Do you have any links that talk about that?

I am pretty sure it is USB flash. Other forums discuss this as a simple process:apple:

eeboarder

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2005
Wyoming
I just modded my AppleTV without opening. Added 1 TB hard drive via USB. Sure is sweet.

Anyways, not so sure about mkv. I use Sapphire for everything, and then NitoTV for VIDEO_TS folders.

fkntotalkaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
I just modded my AppleTV without opening. Added 1 TB hard drive via USB. Sure is sweet.

Anyways, not so sure about mkv. I use Sapphire for everything, and then NitoTV for VIDEO_TS folders.

Would love to get my Apple TV playing video_ts folders. Maybe you can post a link or advice on how to do this. :D

Nosoforos

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Does Nitotv also play High definition .TS files like the ones found in the newsgroups? In frontrow you can now play .ts files from normal dvds, but my HD ones are unsupported

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.