PDA

View Full Version : symmetric multiprocessing software

BIGgui_X_
Oct 1, 2003, 09:35 PM
I want to know if there is any website where i could find apps , or games, that takes advantage of symmetric multiprocessing. I just received a dual G4 and want to try every software i can with those 2 cpu'S !!

thanks

benixau
Oct 2, 2003, 12:56 AM
are you using MacOS X?
If so you are already running SMP aware software.

To stress test the system and the OS just launch every app you have from biggest to smallest (Photoshop -> iTunes -> iPhoto -> safari for example) and watch how the system does not loose responsiveness until most of the apps are processing and then most of the slowdown in going to be in your RAM/HDD.

RAM = Life Blood
Lots of Life Blood = Lots of Energy

Marble
Oct 2, 2003, 01:19 AM
I believe he means single multithreaded applications like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Quake 3, and Adobe Photoshop. Others are out there, but they don't come to mind immediately.

benixau
Oct 2, 2003, 08:10 AM
i guess - but the average user does not have photoshop or Quake 3.

On the other hand all users have at least 3/4 of the iLife suite .....

ExoticFish
Oct 2, 2003, 09:19 AM
there are people who don't own quake 3???? they should be ashamed of themselves!!!!

:eek: :)

BIGgui_X_
Oct 2, 2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Marble
I believe he means single multithreaded applications like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Quake 3, and Adobe Photoshop. Others are out there, but they don't come to mind immediately.

Yeah ! sorry for my bad english !
I suppose there is alot (not THAT much but) of software that use both processors (like altivec fractal, for example). I know apple had a page for apps like that before. I'm sure someone knows a web page with some single multithreaded applications for osX. I would like if a site like versiontracker or macupdate has a page like that ! I would sure help me decide wich software to buy if one is using both cpu's and the oter dont !

I have quake 3 and iTune, at least ! it's a good start

thanks for your help