PDA

View Full Version : I need an iPod aux car kit!

superspiffy
Dec 18, 2007, 02:10 PM
I've just had it with my FM transmitter. The quality is so bad especially when I drive around big cities (I live in LA) It's the only way to connect my iPod to my car because I don't have an audio jack unlike most cars that you can buy these days nor a cassette deck. I own a 2005 Honda Civic and the manufacturers already told me that they don't make or support an iPod car kit. I want one anyway. So what's a good kit to buy and how do I go about installing it myself?

GimmeSlack12
Dec 18, 2007, 02:15 PM
What kind of stereo deck do you have? Stock? If you do I'd look at buying a new deck with an Aux port on it. Installing decks is pretty simple (for tech savvy) and are fairly cheap ($100 - 150). It depends on the deck though.

superspiffy
Dec 18, 2007, 02:47 PM
What kind of stereo deck do you have? Stock? If you do I'd look at buying a new deck with an Aux port on it. Installing decks is pretty simple (for tech savvy) and are fairly cheap ($100 - 150). It depends on the deck though.

My deck is stock and is weirdly shape so I don't think you could buy another one from Radio Shack and replace it without leaving huge gaps on the sides.

GimmeSlack12
Dec 18, 2007, 03:03 PM
Pics or links and I could tell you right away.

slu
Dec 18, 2007, 05:13 PM

This is definitely the cheapest and possibly easiest way. No matter the shape of the radio. I have a Hyundai that had an oval shape deck and that was replaced.

Go here and look up your car: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OlEyfOpaMhK/app/car/mycar.aspx

They will give you choices of decks that will fit and detailed instructions for how to install it. You can get decks with aux in on the front for as little as $40.00 for a 2005 Civic.

SactoGuy18
Dec 19, 2007, 02:27 AM
You may want to check with a local car stereo installer--they can usually put in new car stereos that have the 3.5 mm auxiliary input jack, complete with adapters for your car. I know that Best Buy does this.

Also, if you have an iPod with the data port connector, consider getting a data port connector to 3.5 mm stereo phone jack connector cable. That way, you get true line-level output from your iPod, which improves sound quality and also lowers battery consumption since you don't have to crank the volume of your iPod to full to get enough audio output to your car stereo's auxiliary input jack. :)

biturbomunkie
Dec 19, 2007, 02:33 AM
chk this out: :)

http://limulus.net/blog/eric/2005/01/29/ipod_in_a_2004_honda_civic