PDA

View Full Version : How would I get a refurb in Denmark?

Hellseeker
Dec 18, 2007, 02:48 PM
Hello all!

This is my first post/thread/thing here... Not that it's a big deal, but I just thought I'd let you know :)

Anyways, to the point: I've been surfing back and forth on the web for a week or something now, and I think I've been on every single website with even the faintest trace of the words 'Mac' and 'Apple' in it. My mission is: to get a Macbook that I know I'm not going to regret. I know most people don't regret they've gotten a mac, but my pay's not the greatest, and I really don't want to feel that I've wasted 1500$ or more, if I could just spend a "few" more, and get the Mac of my dreams. I think I've narrowed it down, after weeks of thinking and questioning and answering etc etc, to a Macbook Pro. I know that's an awful lot of money for a guy like me, with literally no money, but I know how to get them - without breaking any law, that is. But this is also why I'm considering going the refurb way. I really don't see why not, most people don't complain, and there's a lot of money to save that way. Problem is, there is no refurb store in Denmark. Well, there is, but it's empty - as you can see http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/dkstore?node=home/specialdeals&OAS-EMEA-KWG-DK_REFURBISHED-DK&aosid=p202&esvt=GODKE&esvadt=999999-1125501-1052213-1&esvid=101115
Is there any way for me to get a refurb mac?

Thanks a bunch, in advance.

- Seeker

ktbubster
Dec 18, 2007, 03:49 PM
I'd look in the marketplace forum here.

Lots of mbps circle around, most are pretty much brand new or bought within the last few months so they have most of the apple warranty and are as good as buying refurb for the most part, if not maybe a better deal.

There have been a few 2.4s and a few 2.2s there recently. I'd definitely look into that.

You can probably get it for slightly below refurb price even, and have to pay shipping, but that isn't TOO much on a laptop, so I think that is a good option. :)

Like this guy (which is a 2.4 WITH applecare already for only 1300 pounds which is.. I believe quite a bit less then the new 2.2 model in the denmark store WITHOUT applecare... even with shipping.. good deal for you) ... being in Denmark it seems a lot of people in the UK or the US even with shipping would't be bad at all for you!)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=396534

or this guy

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=402321

heatmiser
Dec 18, 2007, 03:53 PM
How about shopping the Apple stores of other countries in the EU?

Hellseeker
Dec 18, 2007, 03:57 PM
Do you know if it's possible to get the Apple people to send me a refurb from some other store? Or do they decline to do such things?
And if they do, would you happen to know if I could in some way get them to change the keyboard to a danish one? I know it may be a bit too much to ask from them, but perhaps someone has a little experience on that point?

Hellseeker
Dec 18, 2007, 04:00 PM
How about shopping the Apple stores of other countries in the EU?

Uh, sorry, I missed your post. Is that even possible? I mean, I suppose they'd like you to use the shop that's meant for you? I bet it's a whole lot of trouble to them sending it from another country... But on the other hand, I'm not expecting them to produce some of them here in Denmark, so whether they have to send one to a store here, or to me, that's got to be pretty much the same? I suppose.

heatmiser
Dec 18, 2007, 04:07 PM
Uh, sorry, I missed your post. Is that even possible? I mean, I suppose they'd like you to use the shop that's meant for you? I bet it's a whole lot of trouble to them sending it from another country... But on the other hand, I'm not expecting them to produce some of them here in Denmark, so whether they have to send one to a store here, or to me, that's got to be pretty much the same? I suppose.

I'm not sure. If it's not an option, your best bet would be an authorized reseller online that also does refurbs. That's how I got my MB in the US.

ktbubster
Dec 18, 2007, 04:08 PM
You can probably get it anywhere and then get them to swap out the keyboard at some certified retailer, (I assume this is possible, you just have to wait for them to order the part I guess) It'll cost you a bit more, otherwise you are going to have to wait for your refurb store to get what you want or order a new one. It might be cheaper to get one elsewhere and get the keyboard swapped out (i'm just assuming this is possible)

Hellseeker
Dec 18, 2007, 04:11 PM
Hmm... I guess I'll have to call their hot line. Is swapping the keyboard a major expense, or will my wallet be quite comfortable with it?

ktbubster
Dec 18, 2007, 04:38 PM
I don't have experience with it, but it seems you can get a danish keyboard online in some places

http://www.welovemacs.com/15ibproke.html

apparently they buy back your other keyboard too? Not sure, I just googled some things.

But looks as if you can buy a replacement keyboard for 60-130 USD, sell the one you have for about 50 or so USB via ebay or something after it's replaced.

Looks like the average cost to get a certified relacement of the keyboard is about 50USD...

but I'd definitely just call the apple store and ask them about your problem. There may be a smaller fee for a genious to swap the keyboard, or if you purchase one wtih applecare, maybe they can help you.

I assume apple will try thier hardest to help you out. I'd ask them all your options... including getting someone to swap out the keyboard for you and how much that would cost, there is a decent chance the cost of swapping will still be less then the amount you'd have to pay to buy a new one, or the money you'd save buying from out of country (since it seems denmark pays quite a premium like most of europe for apple products)

either way... goodluck! And let everyone know once you figure it out, as the keyboard thing seems to be a problem more then you would think!

IChing
Dec 18, 2007, 06:19 PM
My kids live in Denmark, but usually shop in Germany for electronics, otherwise you are gonna pay a handsome price in Denmark as you well know. The German site has a refurbished book but it is 2000 euros. I would suggest looking locally on danish sites and newspapers or if you have American connections look into that. $1500 US dollars doesn't go very far in Denmark.

Hellseeker
Dec 19, 2007, 07:52 AM
Well, electronics are actually pretty cheap here in Denmark, our problem is the taxes... 25% on anything, whereas it's only 7% in Germany. Oh, and it seems like Apple doesn't care about that and just put the prices somewhere in the same level as satellites.

either way... goodluck! And let everyone know once you figure it out, as the keyboard thing seems to be a problem more then you would think!

I will. You've all been very helpful compared to the Windows fans I'm used to.

I've been thinking some more ( I really like to think :P) and I got the idea of maybe selling this baby... She's never caused me anything but problems. It's a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo T, with a P4 3.2GHz oc'ed to 3.59, 1GB DDR ram (upgraded to 2gb DDR2), an Ati Radeon x600 pro (dunno how much ram) which I upgraded to a nVidia GeForce 7900gt 256mb. The motherboard has been swapped twice, two first ones were original Fujitsu Siemens ones and they just died like flies. Now I got an ASrock 4CoreDual-VSTA (which is why I could go from DDR ram to DDR2 ram). I use it for everything... Bit of picture editing (Photoshop), 3d modelling, surfing and gaming (Flight Sim X, Crysis as soon as I get it and HL2 Engine based games). As far as I can see from the scores on http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=130879 the Macbook Pro with the 256mb 8600gt scores about twice as many points in almost everything compared to this one, so I really don't see why I shouldn't be able to convert completely to mac? Only reason may be possible bugs in Boot Camp or Parallels or whatever path I choose, but I really don't want to restrict myself, so would it be a dumb thing to do, converting completely to Mac? Most things I do can be done in OSX, it's just the gaming that's got to be in Vista or XP, but can I count on the Macbook to be able to run all my games?

Jiddick ExRex
Dec 19, 2007, 09:04 AM
Well, electronics are actually pretty cheap here in Denmark, our problem is the taxes... 25% on anything, whereas it's only 7% in Germany. Oh, and it seems like Apple doesn't care about that and just put the prices somewhere in the same level as satellites.

Lol!

Very funny. I haven't really found anything refurbed in the Denmark store either but more often than comon.dk has new 'used' offers of Apple laptops. Try that. :)

Hellseeker
Dec 19, 2007, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure I'll get a used computer. Something deep inside me is yelling "no way, you have no idea what they've done to it" every time I hear the word. I know I'd feel a lot better getting a new, or a refurb, since it's as new as a used one gets (and it's been checked).

Anyways, any comments on the "total conversion" question?