Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
I've seen many postings about problems with Sony (HDD) camcorders and Macs not being compatible, but I expect at least some of these problems to be resolved over time.

If easy to use with an iMac running Leopard, I'm tempted to by a SONY DCR-SR52E. Can anyone tell if the problems are still present for this Sony? (If so, I will probably go for a Mini-DV instead).

Thanks!
/Erik

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Florida
Erik, I have several HD Camcorders and use MiniDV on all of them without any problems at all. If you are on the fence between MiniDV and HDD, let me urge you to go with MiniDV for the sole purpose of archiving.

Think about it. If you took 1 hour of HD footage, it would take up to 6-10Gb of footage, depending on what codec you use to capture it. It could be smaller (especially if SD is the camera in question), but still... it's taking up thousands of megabytes to archive and you'll need hard drive space for that. (or) You can archive with tapes. The price per tape is much cheaper than the price per GB and it is far easier to archive. I must have 100's of tapes all easily findable and if I ever need access to them, i just reimport them. I don't have TB's of data with archived video on them that I'll hardly ever use... I just have tapes.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
exactly. Im 100% with the above poster. While the idea of HDD is cool, archiving is a pain and even more so, when you go on a vacation, you can take 20 tapes with you but if your out of HDD, then you have to import your videos (if you have a laptop that you can take with you) and then record again while you could have just gotten more DV tapes.

I currently have an older sony mini dv and when upgrading, ill be upgrading to a new Sony HD MiniDV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.