PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a new logic board and harddrive for G5 iMac???

D ROCK
Dec 18, 2007, 05:03 PM
My buddy dropped his beloved 17" G5 iMac off the table and cracked the shell.... after bringing it in to get fixed they informed him that it would be 800.00 to replace the logic board and harddrive.....
Can we get one cheaper somewhere or do you know a cheaper way to replace his entire iMac.... maybe even an upgrade?
(as in where might we find a better iMac for less than the cost of replaceing his logic board at the shop?"

Queso
Dec 18, 2007, 05:06 PM
Have you heard of eBay (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=imac+g5&category0=)? ;)

D ROCK
Dec 18, 2007, 05:11 PM
No what is this ebay????
hahahaaa
yeah thanks for that helpful little tip... I have never used e-bay although I am currently searching right now on it for a new one for my buddy....
hahahaaa

you made my day with this excellent bit of wisdom.
Thanks.!

:o)

D ROCK
Dec 18, 2007, 05:11 PM
Anyone else know what prices should be?
for these parts or a newer iMac?

Queso
Dec 18, 2007, 05:15 PM
Hard disks are cheap as. Logic boards less so, because Apple don't offer them as spare parts. You're probably better off getting a second hand iMac G5. What model is your friends?

MacinDoc
Dec 18, 2007, 05:22 PM
www.welovemacs.com

gravyboat
Dec 19, 2007, 02:00 AM
My condolences. I've got a 20" G5 iMac with a fried logic board. The most reasonable place I found is DT&T Mac repair:

http://www.dttservice.com/imac/imacg5.html

Note that the prices are based on their being able to recycle your logic board. In my case not only were the capacitors shot but the board itself was damaged, so I was out of luck unless I wanted to pay $900 for a new board. Hope things work out better for you and your buddy.

je1ani
Dec 19, 2007, 02:31 AM
eff that throw an Intel C2D 2Ghz Logic board in there :D

D ROCK
Dec 31, 2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks to all for your help.
turns out my buddy would rather buy a macbook so I may get his old "broken" imac.
I appreciate the links as I have several older imacs that could use some upgrades or parts replaced.

also anyone know a reliable place to send his "broken" HD to get the files pulled off. they have no cash value but sentimental value on them is huge!
wedding pics etc....