PDA

View Full Version : More Panther GM and Launch Info




MacRumors
Oct 2, 2003, 10:57 AM
More anonymous reports have been coming in...

- 7B85 is GM for Client
- 7B86 is GM for Server
- Apple Store Managers are out of town for a week surrounding October 24th, making it seem like an unlikely week for such a major launch, but no definitive info either way.



wrldwzrd89
Oct 2, 2003, 11:01 AM
I find this to be interesting news, IF in fact it is true. Since I questioned the reliability of these Panther GM reports ever since they started appearing, I'm not confident that this is true either. It does mean that Panther's release date might be announced soon, which to me is GREAT news. All the earlier I can get a G5 w/ Panther!

arn
Oct 2, 2003, 11:04 AM
yep,

hard to say if it's true... or just the same info making the rounds..

we'll see.

arn

iJon
Oct 2, 2003, 11:23 AM
maybe it will be a launch for the windows version of itunes. apple will hype that way more than panther.

iJon

mactastic
Oct 2, 2003, 11:24 AM
I wonder if we'll see another version of 10.2.8 or not. Panther seems pretty close now.

Powerbook G5
Oct 2, 2003, 11:32 AM
Let's hope this means Panther is announced soon, I can't wait personally to get my hands on a copy.

sickracer2015
Oct 2, 2003, 11:46 AM
Well I hope panther is announced soon for purchase and such. I am a current ADC member and we have yet to be seeded with these new builds.. I know i'll get it for free but im still willing to pay for it to support apple.. well I hope these are true and shortly the new builds are seeded to ADC members, Panther is great... unsanity and iconfactory are already working to have their great applications work inconjunction with panther...

ZildjianKX
Oct 2, 2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by sickracer2015
Well I hope panther is announced soon for purchase and such. I am a current ADC member and we have yet to be seeded with these new builds.. I know i'll get it for free but im still willing to pay for it to support apple.. well I hope these are true and shortly the new builds are seeded to ADC members, Panther is great... unsanity and iconfactory are already working to have their great applications work inconjunction with panther...

Can student ADC members download beta seeds too? I couldn't find them on their site when I logged in.

mustang_dvs
Oct 2, 2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
Can student ADC members download beta seeds too? I couldn't find them on their site when I logged in.

No, I'm pretty sure that Student ADC members are blocked from OS seedings.

If it's not listed in your Software Downloads, you don't have access to it. But hey, you still get releases for free.

Santiago
Oct 2, 2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by mactastic
I wonder if we'll see another version of 10.2.8 or not. Panther seems pretty close now.

Even if Panther is released, they will still issue an update to 10.2 to fix the security issues in OpenSSH and Sendmail that 10.2.8 addressed, plus the new OpenSSL vulnerability discovered this week. It's standard practice for Apple to provide such maintenance updates to no-longer-current revisions of the OS.

Freg3000
Oct 2, 2003, 03:59 PM
Having the store mangers "out of town" on 10-24/25 is not good news. How would someone find this out anyway?

I just want Panther now. :)

joachimlahti
Oct 2, 2003, 04:57 PM
Went by my local apple shop here in Finland yesterday just checking out the new G5 they had up for display. While I sat down and played around with the G5 a sales guy walked up to me and asked me if I needed any help.
So I asked him; When can I get Panther included if I buy a new G5? :rolleyes:
I didn't belive my ears when he just said; "Now, if you do a BTO order" and then continued to explain something about he had seen it preinstalled on a custom built dual G5 they got for someone working at the store. Lastly he added "It could really be any day now we get to put the Panther boxes out on our shelfs, but with apple(/Steve) you can never really say.;)"

nacl99
Oct 2, 2003, 07:30 PM
IF thats true basically your saying that the final Panther was done AT LEAST a week ago, and Apple has been lying to its Developers and ADC?


Lies, all lies
I'm sure he told you that but it cannot be true.

If you don't believe me I have an Apple PDA to sell yah!

iJon
Oct 2, 2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by joachimlahti
Went by my local apple shop here in Finland yesterday just checking out the new G5 they had up for display. While I sat down and played around with the G5 a sales guy walked up to me and asked me if I needed any help.
So I asked him; When can I get Panther included if I buy a new G5? :rolleyes:
I didn't belive my ears when he just said; "Now, if you do a BTO order" and then continued to explain something about he had seen it preinstalled on a custom built dual G5 they got for someone working at the store. Lastly he added "It could really be any day now we get to put the Panther boxes out on our shelfs, but with apple(/Steve) you can never really say.;)" haha sure, either your a bad liar or your salesman is really dumb.

iJon

Golem
Oct 2, 2003, 08:25 PM
According to the head of IT at an company that also an apple reseller his info was saying 1st or 2nd week in november.

strangelogic
Oct 2, 2003, 08:26 PM
Maybe the old rumor about putting it out on 10/3 has a measure of truth? Put it on their site on 10/3 for pre-sales?

macdop
Oct 2, 2003, 09:53 PM
I also noticed that Oct. 24th is the same as the ship date for my CTO Dual G5...very interesting...

bousozoku
Oct 2, 2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
Can student ADC members download beta seeds too? I couldn't find them on their site when I logged in.

No, you must pay for a Select membership before you can get operating system seeds legally.

Don't count on the release prior to the 3rd week of October.

Ambrose Chapel
Oct 3, 2003, 06:51 AM
the register is now reporting GM status, but it seems like they are just rehashing AI and MR postings:

Mac OS X 10.3, aka 'Panther', is ready for primetime, Apple has declared, according to a variety of sources cited by a range of Mac-oriented web sites.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/33188.html


(thanks to macminute for the link)

joachimlahti
Oct 3, 2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by iJon
haha sure, either your a bad liar or your salesman is really dumb.

iJon

Well I'm not trying to make something up here anyway... :(
I just told you what I was told, or perhaps a little less, forgive me for that.
The reason one could get panther installed with BTO systems was that there is some sort of delay in the channel of BTO machines. This delay I've today confirmed with an other mac dealer in town, all BTO systems that have been orderd on or after 22nd of september are being delayed by two to three weeks in delivery due to (officially) "unknown reasons".
NOTE!! This is said not to effect orders of standard configurations which are already boxed and have Jag 10.2.7 already installed.

Fadl
Oct 3, 2003, 07:39 AM
Are student developers going to get a copy of Panther for free? Like the way they receive monthly developer tools?

Actuary
Oct 3, 2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by joachimlahti
The reason one could get panther installed with BTO systems was that there is some sort of delay in the channel of BTO machines. This delay I've today confirmed with an other mac dealer in town, all BTO systems that have been orderd on or after 22nd of september are being delayed by two to three weeks in delivery due to (officially) "unknown reasons".
NOTE!! This is said not to effect orders of standard configurations which are already boxed and have Jag 10.2.7 already installed.

I just ordered mine on Monday (9-29-03) and my order status still says "on or before 10-15-03". My order is a dual 2G with dual 250GB hard drives, 1GB of RAM, and the 9800 Graphics card. It was an education order if that make a difference. Have they not updated the order statuses with this delay yet? Thanks,

JesseJames
Oct 3, 2003, 11:54 AM
I need Panther now. I just bought an Epson Perfection 2400 scanner and it needs OS 10.2.x to run.
I'm running OS 10.1.5 right now. I'm not going to buy Jaguar and then see Panther pop onto the market a few days later.
Freaking Epson. I knew I should've bought a Hewlett Packard.

Multimedia
Oct 3, 2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Actuary
I just ordered mine on Monday (9-29-03) and my order status still says "on or before 10-15-03". My order is a dual 2G with dual 250GB hard drives, 1GB of RAM, and the 9800 Graphics card. It was an education order if that make a difference. Have they not updated the order statuses with this delay yet? Thanks, Actuary and I are in the same boat. I also ordered my Combo-Bluetooth BTO + BT Keyboard Monday with an on or before date of 10.15. However I don't believe it. I can only cite a handful of people who have gotten their G5 on or before their first "on or before" notice date. Moreover, I HOPE THEY DON'T ship it to me in that time frame because I want Panther inside.

I was disappointed when i saw that early date appear. It is unlikely to hold. Why should we get ours in only two weeks when everyone else has been waiting months for thiers? It doesn't make any sense. I want to suffer long and hard and get Panther inside. I delayed by order as long as I could. I wanted the Bluetooth keyboard in my order. I have developer download priviledges. So I couldn't rationalize waiting to place my order any longer. But I'd still like a black furry set of CDs rather than my own home brewed variety. :p

Matrix9180
Oct 3, 2003, 03:17 PM
I do believe you will get Panther final CDs.. whether they'll be black and furry or not I don't know... I really think they'll just be going with that metal X logo... at least that's what the WWDC Panther CDs had on them...

Rocketman
Oct 3, 2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000
Having the store mangers "out of town" on 10-24/25 is not good news. How would someone find this out anyway?

I just want Panther now. :)

I consider the fact they are all busy at once evidence they are all training on a new product or three. It seems to me Apple managers are the new middleware between you and Apple these days at least for one entire growing channel.

I predict they are training on windows compatible iTunes and Panther and the new iBooks. There was even a rumor for a while of a dual 1.8ghz G5 tower and it is about time for that to pop, if it was real.

But how can you go wrong with all new shipping Powerbook G4's and Powermac G5's in relative abundance?

Rocketman

Dr. No
Oct 3, 2003, 08:09 PM
Has anyone used a recent Panther build? How are they?? A lot faster than Jaguar?

Multimedia
Oct 3, 2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Dr. No
Has anyone used a recent Panther build? How are they?? A lot faster than Jaguar? I've been running the last developer release - 7B74 September 20 - for a couple of weeks now. It's fast, reliable and appears to be pretty bug free. On this old 500 MHz Cube it is significantly faster than 10.2.6 was. I still have 10.2.6 running on a 450 Cube and I can feel the difference.

I think the best part about Panther is that older slower macs will benefit the most from its adoption. If objectivity is involved, many more 9 users will finally make the switch to OS X via Panther. Only OS 9 Bigots will not switch.

mxpiazza
Oct 4, 2003, 12:23 PM
i know for a fact that not ALL apple managers are out of town the 24th-25th, because apple's new store at Legacy Village in Lyndhurst, Ohio (10 minutes outside cleveland) opens (along with the whole legacy village complex) on friday, october 24th. those managers are actually training right now at the Easton Town Center Apple Store in Coulumbus, Ohio, i know because i was talking to them about it when i returned my g5 for the new powerbook. i'd go to vegas that panther is released on the 24th... no better way to open a new store!

SoGood
Oct 5, 2003, 05:13 PM
Anyone know if 7B85 Gold is compatible with Palm and its hotsync softwares?

4412441
Oct 6, 2003, 09:29 AM
Seems really fast - and stable.
Havent run into any major problems as far as major applications go - including the ones you see in my dock (dont mind serial box lol...)

Really fast - especially on my underpowered iBook with limited RAM.

killergator
Oct 7, 2003, 08:00 PM
Currently 7B74 is the only version of Panther preview available to developers on the adc seed site - I just checked.The photo above looks mighty fishy to me. There hasn't been a lot of movement since this release came out. hmmm makes you wonder....
Panther Rocks so far..... and no don't ask me to give you a copy:p

4412441
Oct 7, 2003, 10:26 PM
Well I don't really know what you mean by fishy, but '85 is definately much improved over '74 as I had that installed earlier.
The intro screen and music are different from the other builds, loos -- and feels very smooth overall. So yes - there is a 7B85...

BTW - Have torrents?? ;)
(change extension from .txt to .torrent)

4412441
Oct 7, 2003, 10:27 PM
... I don't know if I can subit two or theree attachments to each message...

4412441
Oct 7, 2003, 10:29 PM
so here they are :=)

then go to:



change extensions to .torrent, double click, burn with disk copy and enjoy lol

Mike

[Admin Edit: illegal distribution of files is not allowed on MacRumors]

4412441
Oct 7, 2003, 11:06 PM
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that it was illegal to post torrenst... Im still going to buy my copy!

Just more to prove that I'm not the kind of person to waste my time doctoring photos to brag about build numbers - thats all.

Whoops
Mike