Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-igor

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
So I am thinking of totally switching over to ableton live for pretty much everything. I am curious why most people don't use it as a main DAW but for generally a looping/remixing/programming tool. I think it's way less annoying than cubase, and it (i think) has all the features that pro tools m-powered, which i use now, has plus more automation abilities. So what are the real benefits of cubase, logic, pro tools, nuendo, etc. over live?

Also, I have live lite right now and if I decide to get it I will get the downloadable upgrade to live 7. I'm guessing that I won't be able to use it on two computers since that's what the website faq says. I heard somewhere though, that it is possible to use on two computers with no additional cost. So what is the case, is it possible? Is it only possible when it is ordered packaged in the box? Or not possible any way?

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
So I am thinking of totally switching over to ableton live for pretty much everything. I am curious why most people don't use it as a main DAW but for generally a looping/remixing/programming tool. I think it's way less annoying than cubase, and it (i think) has all the features that pro tools m-powered, which i use now, has plus more automation abilities. So what are the real benefits of cubase, logic, pro tools, nuendo, etc. over live?

Also, I have live lite right now and if I decide to get it I will get the downloadable upgrade to live 7. I'm guessing that I won't be able to use it on two computers since that's what the website faq says. I heard somewhere though, that it is possible to use on two computers with no additional cost. So what is the case, is it possible? Is it only possible when it is ordered packaged in the box? Or not possible any way?

I think you'd be better of asking this on the ableton forum :)

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
it (i think) has all the features that pro tools m-powered, which i use now, has plus more automation abilities.

in no way am i trying to dissuade you from a switch, since i believe that people should work with the program that helps their workflow the most, but i am curious about this: what is automatable in Live that isn't in PT-M?

-igor

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
in no way am i trying to dissuade you from a switch, since i believe that people should work with the program that helps their workflow the most, but i am curious about this: what is automatable in Live that isn't in PT-M?

Yeah that statement was kind of based on an ignorant assumption on my part...I tried to find out if PT-M can automate effects but could not figure it out, so I don't know if it is possible or not but I guess that I jumped to the conclusion that it can not. I haven't been able to do it at least. But anyway, live has more and better onboard effects than PT, and is much more intuitive to use I find.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
yes, you can automate effect parameters in PT. when you pop open the plug, you'll see a button labeled 'auto'. press that and you'll get a popup that allows you to specify which parameters you want to automate.

once you add and save those, you'll see them automatable in the edit window for that track (in the thing that lets you select volume, pan, mute).

-igor

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
well, thank you for the info. looks like I don't know anything.

but anyway, i'm still wondering if there are any benefits to using the traditional DAWs for audio editing over live.

natallica

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
I use Live for composing and arranging, but I don't like the mixer as much as the mixer in say Logic or Cubase. Therefore, I Rewire Live into Logic or Cubase and do a final mix in one of those.

-- N

-igor

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
seems like it will take over the world. it certainly has taken over mine.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
As far as I can tell, Live does not have a score (music notation) editor, correct me if I'm wrong, but that makes it a non-starter for me.

-igor

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
i know I was bored and joking. if you're actually offended, I apologize.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
seems like it will take over the world. it certainly has taken over mine.

Yes, mine too. It's probably the best investment I ever made. Throwing samples and loops in and out and just playing around brought back the joy of music making for me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.