PDA

View Full Version : iBook shuts down when it should be asleep!

MacBoyX
Oct 2, 2003, 12:51 PM
Has anyone seen this with their iBooks?

I have a 900Mhz G3 iBook and from time to time, I put it to sleep, stick it in my bag and when i get it back out, it's off, not asleep.

I've checked the crash logs and can't find anything. It happens from time to time, it's not really that annoying but when I want to get it out to do something real quick it sucks to have to wait for it to boot.

thanks...

macboyX

latergator116
Oct 2, 2003, 02:21 PM
could your battery some how be coming loose?

MacBoyX
Oct 2, 2003, 03:24 PM
Not that i know of. It just did it again this time I was taking it out of the bag and it was asleep and by the time I put it down and opened it up...it was off :(

macboy X

frescies
Oct 2, 2003, 03:48 PM
Ive got the same Ibook, and that certainly never happens to me... And I beat the hell out of the thing when its asleep...

Well... no not really.....

I just cart it around in my backpack and whatnot

iJon
Oct 2, 2003, 04:07 PM
do you put it asleep when your battery is low. on my 12" powerbook if i put it to sleep when the battery is near empty, over night it will shut off. i guess the light drains it out over night.

iJon

latergator116
Oct 2, 2003, 04:18 PM
Well i remember on the origianl powerbook G4 some of them had batteries that would come loosed. you probably cant notice the difference, but there might be a small defect which causes it to loose a connection. If you have a warranty i would call applecare immediatly

MacBoyX
Oct 2, 2003, 05:42 PM
Thanks to everyone for the help and info.

my iBook is almost never put to sleep when it's battery is low. I usually charge it over nite and then throw it into my bag in the morning.

If it is the battery I should be able to duplicate it. But I can't :(

The helpful people at the apple store said...if I can't show them the problem occuring they can't trouble shoot.

Eh!

macboyX

shadowfax
Oct 2, 2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by iJon
do you put it asleep when your battery is low. on my 12" powerbook if i put it to sleep when the battery is near empty, over night it will shut off. i guess the light drains it out over night.

iJon this happens on my 15 incher too when the battery is almost dead. it's not the light that drains it so much as powering the RAM, i think. a combination of both, probably.

coolbreeze
Oct 2, 2003, 07:20 PM
This happend to me a lot shortly after I got my iBook 900...even after 10.2.6. Lately, the problem has mysterously disappeared...

It was a royal pain. You'd put it to sleep, only do discover it was dead when you wake it (sounds funny talking about a computer like that).

I guess for now, the issue is gone for me. I know there was a huge thread on apple's forums about this. Lotsa people pissed and apple never responded to the issue. ?Dunno. Maybe yours will work itself out like mine did?

Good luck.

spaceballl
Jan 29, 2004, 05:23 AM
I have an iBook G3 700 and this problem just started with me... any luck fixing it?
-Kevin

virividox
Jan 29, 2004, 05:41 AM
17" here, havent experienced that, except one time when i left it sleeping for more than a day, i think it was 3 days, when i left for the weekend, but then that was expected.

MacBoyX
Jan 29, 2004, 09:01 AM
Wow dug this one up from the archives huh?

Well my iBook has moved to a new home but it is one of my closest buddies so I can tell you that I found right before I sold it that it was infact the BATTERY.

If you picked up the ibook by the right front and basically put the weight of the machine on the battery it would just STOP. Turn off Dead. So best I can figure this is what was happening in my bag.

He had a problem with the hinge and he sent it in for service and he mentioned that as a problem. They replaced his logic board while it was back and suddenly no more issue. I am not convinced that the logic board was at fault (I swear they are replacing the bad ones with good ones whenever one comes in for service!) but it took care of it.

Do the test, and get it in for service if it keeps happening.

Hope that helps

macboyX