PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 1.42GHz Power Problems - HELP!

bbarnhart
Dec 19, 2007, 09:07 PM
I've got an iBook G4 1.42GHz with power problems. I will run fine off a battery, but it will not charge. I received and replaced the DC power board, but it would not power up. I got a new AC adaptor (Newer) and when I plug it in to the iBook, it makes a clicking sound and the light on the adaptor flickers with the clicking. It will not turn on.

But, it will still boot and run off a battery. So, the question is, did I have a bad AC adaptor that ruined my new DC power board? If I unplug the DC power board and plug it into the new AC adapter, it doesn't click.

I don't know if the motherboard needs to be replaced, it will still boot and run off a battery. Very frustrating. Am I missing something? Any help appreciated. Thanks

noodle654
Dec 19, 2007, 09:30 PM
Try to run Apple Hardware test. Last time I checked the iBook 1.42GHz DVD's check the Logic Board and all that. Hopefully that can tell you whats up with your iBook.

bbarnhart
Dec 19, 2007, 09:35 PM
Try to run Apple Hardware test. Last time I checked the iBook 1.42GHz DVD's check the Logic Board and all that. Hopefully that can tell you whats up with your iBook.

That's worth a try with the battery. I see what happens. Thanks

noodle654
Dec 19, 2007, 09:36 PM
Good luck. HWT drains battery very...very...fast. Good luck!

bbarnhart
Dec 19, 2007, 09:45 PM
Battery didn't make it. Bummer. Thanks

noodle654
Dec 19, 2007, 09:53 PM
Well, I am all out of ideas. It would be odd that a new power supply wouldnt work. It seems like the logic board failed in that general plug area. Maybe somebody else has something that could help.

bbarnhart
Dec 19, 2007, 09:59 PM
From what I've been reading, it now sounds like a PMU failure (Power Management Unit). That would require a motherboard swap.

Warbrain
Dec 27, 2007, 02:17 PM
From what I've been reading, it now sounds like a PMU failure (Power Management Unit). That would require a motherboard swap.

I'm having power issues as well. When I plug in my iBook with the power adapter I get an odd buzzing noise and it won't charge the battery but when I power up from the battery that buzzing doesn't occur. I noticed, however, that I would sometimes get a connection and slightly charge the battery depending on the angle of the connection. Hopefully mine is just the DC-in board, which I have ordered and plan on replacing, and not a PMU failure like yours. If that's the case, looks like I'll be selling mine in as best of condition as I can and buying a new computer...

Thanks for this info.

bbarnhart
Dec 27, 2007, 02:27 PM
Yeah, still haven't fixed the iBook yet. Not sure what to try next. I fiddle with it every few days to see if something will work. At this point, I'd settle for just knowing what the problem is. I'm assuming the logic board is bad (PMU), but it's an expensive part to try out. Maybe I'll call up iResq.com (they are close to where I live) and see if we can work out a deal.

I'm having power issues as well. When I plug in my iBook with the power adapter I get an odd buzzing noise and it won't charge the battery but when I power up from the battery that buzzing doesn't occur. I noticed, however, that I would sometimes get a connection and slightly charge the battery depending on the angle of the connection. Hopefully mine is just the DC-in board, which I have ordered and plan on replacing, and not a PMU failure like yours. If that's the case, looks like I'll be selling mine in as best of condition as I can and buying a new computer...

Thanks for this info.

Does the buzzing noise come from the power brick or the computer? Does the light ring around the dc plug glow?

Warbrain
Dec 27, 2007, 02:55 PM
Does the buzzing noise come from the power brick or the computer? Does the light ring around the dc plug glow?

It come from the computer. I can't tell you about the light ring as my power adapter burned out about 5 months ago and I have a third-party one from OWC. My computer still recognizes that there is something plugged in, though, which might be a good sign. It's possible that it's not getting a complete signal.

bbarnhart
Dec 27, 2007, 03:23 PM
When I plug the in the Newer(TM) power brick into the iBook, I think the DC power board makes a distinct click sound, and then power brick begins to make a different clicking sound. Never powers up.

Warbrain
Dec 27, 2007, 03:41 PM
When I plug the in the Newer(TM) power brick into the iBook, I think the DC power board makes a distinct click sound, and then power brick begins to make a different clicking sound. Never powers up.

Now I don't think that's happening to me. I think mine is strictly a connection issue in which it's getting some power but not the proper connection. Like I said, I'm hoping that a new DC board solves it. At least I was able to back up all my data yesterday.

bbarnhart
Dec 27, 2007, 04:02 PM
OK. Thanks for your comments and help and keeping the post fresh. I hope the DC in board fixes your problem. I bought my DC board at welovemacs.com. It was $49.95 and they had them in stock.

Warbrain
Dec 27, 2007, 04:07 PM
OK. Thanks for your comments and help and keeping the post fresh. I hope the DC in board fixes your problem. I bought my DC board at welovemacs.com. It was $49.95 and they had them in stock.

I got mine from mac recyclers for 39.95. 50 bucks seems to be the going rate, though. I just happened to find a deal. I hope that whatever you decide to do works out.

Warbrain
Dec 27, 2007, 06:17 PM
I figured out what my problem is...

my DC-in isn't getting a full connection. By jamming a piece of paper I can get a total connection and charge my old battery. Abuse the old, take care of the new when I get the new board it...

At least I know the problem now.

bbarnhart
Dec 28, 2007, 08:11 AM
I got mine from mac recyclers for 39.95. 50 bucks seems to be the going rate, though. I just happened to find a deal. I hope that whatever you decide to do works out.

Do you have a URL for mac recyclers? Is it Macrecycling.com?

Warbrain
Dec 28, 2007, 11:42 AM
Do you have a URL for mac recyclers? Is it Macrecycling.com?

http://www.macrecycling.com

My part is to be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully it gets here. My tools, on the other hand, won't be getting here until the 4th. :mad:

bbarnhart
Dec 28, 2007, 12:25 PM
I think all I used was a very small Phillips screwdriver and a small plastic stick. The stick was used to help remove the bottom case. I don't remember if I used a Torx. Actually, I think I used a Torx for the bottom case screws. You can a set of them at Home Depot or Lowes.

Warbrain
Dec 28, 2007, 12:35 PM
I think all I used was a very small Phillips screwdriver and a small plastic stick. The stick was used to help remove the bottom case. I don't remember if I used a Torx. Actually, I think I used a Torx for the bottom case screws. You can a set of them at Home Depot or Lowes.

I was told that I would need a #8 Torx, a #0 Phillips and a spudger. I figured that I would order them and they'll get here when they do. I'm just happy that I'm able to charge right now. I've got a folded up concert ticket pushing on the plug in such a manner that forces it to make a connection. It's nowhere near perfect, but at least I can get power to the battery now.

Warbrain
Jan 2, 2008, 09:40 AM
Replacing the board worked with mine. Good deal. Thanks for your knowledge.

bbarnhart
Jan 2, 2008, 09:53 AM
Glad you got it to work. I'm still working on mine. Not sure why logic boards cost $400. The laptop isn't worth much more than that.

georgenx
Nov 18, 2009, 07:02 PM
I have excatly the same problem.
A clicking sound not buzzing nose. you have a a green light when you push it half way in , push it all the way and then click, pull it back out and green light comes back very strange. Its not the DC board as i replaced this and same old problem it is as if its shortening out but then resets itself maybe from the power adapter. Any updated ideas

bbarnhart
Nov 18, 2009, 07:52 PM
Sell it on eBay for parts. I got a few hundred dollars for mine. You can sell the whole iBook or you can take it apart and sell the parts.

georgenx
Nov 19, 2009, 11:48 AM
So here is where I am. I think its a cracked or weak solder joint on the Power Managment Unit Board.

I think apple call it a PMU99 board or it has an alias another name a Mitsubishi M16C/62F microprocessor.

http://akiba-pc.watch.impress.co.jp/hotline/990911/image/77201.jpg
http://everything2.com/title/PMU99
So let me go down this route and i will let you know. Its got to be a better way than carving up a mac they are my babies.