PDA

View Full Version : FSX with my iMac

Muncher
Dec 19, 2007, 10:31 PM
I just loaded FSX on my iMac today, set the settings to medium high, screen rez to 1680x1050, and let me tell you, it was smooth...

Do any of you guys have it? What are your results with flight simulator games on your macs?

psionmark
Dec 20, 2007, 04:14 AM
I'm running it under Vista via Bootcamp on a 17" MacBook Pro and it's pretty good. I get a slight pause sometimes during really hard turns in bad weather, but that's about it.

Flight Simulator 2004 is smooth as silk with all settings maxed out, as is X-Plane 9 under OSX :)

Cheers,

Mark

Thunderbird8
Dec 20, 2007, 09:22 AM
Hi Muncher,

Glad to hear it! I am looking at getting one of the 24" iMacs in the new year and running flight sims is the main (leisure) thing I'm looking forward to!

What sort of frame rates are you getting?

Muncher
Dec 20, 2007, 06:52 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but it isn't a slideshow or anything, so I'd guess around 20-25+ fps. The 2600xt really surprised me - my last computer had a 7600GT, and it lagged horribly, so my expectations weren't very high.

Thunderbird8
Dec 21, 2007, 06:17 AM
I wonder if my 24" will be slower than yours due to the system having to populate a larger screen..hmmmm.

psionmark
Dec 21, 2007, 09:59 AM
Hi Muncher,

You can check the frame rate by holding down the Shift key and pressing Z twice.

Cheers,

Mark

john.smith.05
Dec 30, 2007, 12:11 PM
Hi there,

I have one of the 2.2Ghz MacBooks (the black one) with the Santa Rosa chipset. Is anyone currently running FSX on one? I've installed Vista and have been experimenting with the graphics settings, but can't seem to settle on the optimum detail vs. speed.

If you're using a setup such as this, please could you let me know what detail settings you find work well for you?

Thanks!

psionmark
Dec 31, 2007, 03:10 AM
Hi there,

I have one of the 2.2Ghz MacBooks (the black one) with the Santa Rosa chipset. Is anyone currently running FSX on one? I've installed Vista and have been experimenting with the graphics settings, but can't seem to settle on the optimum detail vs. speed.

If you're using a setup such as this, please could you let me know what detail settings you find work well for you?

Thanks!

What kind of graphics card does the MacBook have? I'm running it on a MacBook Pro with the nVidia 8600 with some success.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Mark

john.smith.05
Dec 31, 2007, 05:15 AM
It's got the Intel GMA X3100, which shares the main memory. I imagine that that's the major bottleneck in the setup...

psionmark
Dec 31, 2007, 02:28 PM
It's got the Intel GMA X3100, which shares the main memory. I imagine that that's the major bottleneck in the setup...

Yes, that will be the bottleneck. FSX struggles with a powerful dedicated graphics card!

dimme
Jan 14, 2008, 08:35 PM
I have a MBP 2.4 which I run Flight Simulator X on. I am very pleased with the frame rates I get. It is about 20 with the all the settings on High except traffic which is set to 0. The machine does heat up a bit on long sessions. the GPU runes into the 80C's. What temps & frame rates are you folks getting with the 24" iMacs?

Thunderbird8
Jan 15, 2008, 02:38 AM
I would love to hear from someone actually running FSX on the top-end imac. I have heard it will run FS9 like a dream.

The flight sim forums are populated mostly by PC users who all have an opinion on the imac and FSX but they haven't got one....

Chuckypool
Jan 15, 2008, 03:19 AM
I'm running FSX under XP (bootcamp) and it seems to run fine. I haven't had time to play it very much but I've got most of the settings set as high as they'll go and it seems pretty smooth to me (though I've got nothing to compare it too!).

I've got a 24" 2.8 iMac - given all the complaints about the iMac graphics cards I wasn't expecting much from FSX but I was nicely surprised.

Chris

Thunderbird8
Jan 15, 2008, 10:59 AM
Are you running it full-screen on the 24"?

JDR
Jan 27, 2008, 08:35 AM
I just loaded FSX on my iMac today, set the
What are your results with flight simulator games on your macs?

For one soild year I used X-Plane (8.20-8.50) on my iBook G4. I had to lower the settings for it to be useable, in addition to doubling the RAM. After considering that, it ran great. It's also a fabulous flight simulator-- intensive, though. Once had a flight from Mumbai, India to Chicago, IL nonstop for 16 hours--the fan was running for 90% of that time.

I would recommend X-Plane over FSX and day...but that's just me :D.

Regards,
JDR

dimme
Jan 27, 2008, 12:48 PM
I am lucky enough to have x-plane 8.x and Flight Simulator X. They are both good products. X-plane has a better flight model, but I prefer Flight Simulator X as my all around choice. Both have pretty hefty hardware requirements and generate lost of heat.

Chuckypool
Jan 27, 2008, 04:44 PM
Are you running it full-screen on the 24"?

Yep, have it on full-screen.

Thunderbird8
Jan 28, 2008, 02:12 AM
Thanks Chris, that's encouraging. Have you had much time to use it since your earlier post?

I am about to get a new imac and wonder what settings you are using?

I quite like the ides of the autogen stuff and 'realism' features of FSX.

Cudadown
Jan 28, 2008, 07:33 PM
iMac 2.4 24" w/2 gigs Ram

I run FSX thru bootcamp (vista). With the settings at med to med-high, 1920 fullscreen, high traffic level, I average around 25fps and much higher when at altitude over mountains or ocean. Looks absolutely amazing. Only shows any stuttering when over large cities but its alot less than my pc stuttered. If I lowered the traffic settings I could probably raise the graphics a little higher but I like the realism of busy skies.

I am coming from (Nov, 07) a PC that was a Athlon 62x2 3200, 2 gigs Ram, Ati 1950 pro with 256 and this iMac blows it out of the water.

I currently try to find time for;
FSX
BF vietnam
Med Total War 2
Silent Hunter 3

All run much much better than my pc ever did.

p.s. Forgot to mention I did install new drivers for the 2600 Pro and it made a nice difference. Crysis demo runs very well.

dimme
Jan 28, 2008, 07:53 PM
iMac 2.4 24" w/2 gigs Ram

I run FSX thru bootcamp (vista). With the settings at med to med-high, 1920 fullscreen, high traffic level, I average around 25fps and much higher when at altitude over mountains or ocean. Looks absolutely amazing. Only shows any stuttering when over large cities but its alot less than my pc stuttered. If I lowered the traffic settings I could probably raise the graphics a little higher but I like the realism of busy skies.

I.

Thats great to here I am hoping to pick one up in a few weeks if things go right with the job. Are there any heat issues on long flights. I run now on a MBP SR and the thing really heats up after 15min. If it's not too much trouble could you post your CPU & GPU temperatures.

ewisone
Jan 28, 2008, 10:13 PM
Hi there, was wondering whether anyone has played IL-2 1946 on a 24" iMac? I was trying to play it on Windows XP with BootCamp (MacOS X), however, when I turned on "advanced" graphics settings (reflective water, maximum ground detail) an annoying stutter developed. The frame rates are still acceptable, however, the experience is anything but smooth. I am using standard Apple drivers and have been unable to update them (hoping Apple will do this soon). Also, the computer's temperature climbs rapidly (to temperatures above 65C). What are other peoples experiences with this exceptional piece of software?

Chuckypool
Jan 28, 2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks Chris, that's encouraging. Have you had much time to use it since your earlier post?

I am about to get a new imac and wonder what settings you are using?

I quite like the ides of the autogen stuff and 'realism' features of FSX.

Unfortunately not much free time for playing games recently (new baby, summer holidays, new job, yada yada).

I cranked up just about all the settings as fair as they would go (except maybe weather and traffic) - will check tonight if I get a chance as I may have then adjusted them back one notch on the settings.

My iMac did seem to run a bit hotter (just to the touch, wasn't monitoring the temperature or anything) and the fans were running a bit more than usual but nothing to get me worried.

I did install updated graphics drivers from the ATI website and couldn't really notice any difference (I'm no expert as you're probably gathering). I've got 2gb of RAM as well which might help things along.

I say go for it, even if it doesn't meet your expectations fully for FSX you'll still have a fantastic machine.

Thunderbird8
Jan 29, 2008, 01:19 AM
Thanks again - wow this is exciting. I was going to wait for the next update to see (on the off-chance) if Apple would update the imac graphics but maybe now I won't...

Cudadown
Jan 29, 2008, 04:27 PM
I would post my temps for you but I dont have any temp checking software for windows. I do not believe they get too hot though. I have a habit of reaching up there every now and then. I dont remember it being much warmer then normal.

I will try and get a prog for monitoring temps in windows and post them maybe tomorrow. Today I'm trying to dip my feet into Final Cut Express :eek:.

FleurDuMal
Mar 10, 2008, 09:56 AM
Hey. I'm thinking of getting a hi-res 17" MBP, and this is one of the games I would like to play on it.

Does anyone know how the new MBPs perform with FSX?

What settings do you have to kill to get an acceptable level of performance (around 20-25fps)?

Also, if the native 1920x1200 resolution is too much to drive, how does it scale down to lesser non-native resolutions?

How does it fare with the add-ons and the texture/environment/city packs that I assume are available for it?

Is it better to run under Vista or XP?

psionmark
Mar 11, 2008, 02:40 AM
Hi,

The main frame-rate killer for me is the water, so I've notched that down a bit. Other than that, I'm getting between 20 and 50 fps, although it's not as smooth as FS9.

I'm running it at 1440x990 on XP. Tried Vista but it caused more problems than it solved.

If you get it, be sure to apply Service Pack 1 and probably 2.

I haven't tried the add-on texture packs yet.

Cheers,

Mark

ARKI1980
Sep 8, 2008, 08:45 AM
I recently bought my very first Mac. It is an iMac 24", 2.8Ghz with 320 GB Hard Drive, 4GB Ram, and the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 w/ 512 MB....

My question is: I've heard that I can actually play Flight Simulator X on the iMac. What do I need to do in order to do that. I read something about Leopard, Vista 64 Ult. and Boot Camp. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm new to this whole Windows to Mac transformation thing.

dimme
Sep 8, 2008, 09:09 AM
I recently bought my very first Mac. It is an iMac 24", 2.8Ghz with 320 GB Hard Drive, 4GB Ram, and the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 w/ 512 MB....

My question is: I've heard that I can actually play Flight Simulator X on the iMac. What do I need to do in order to do that. I read something about Leopard, Vista 64 Ult. and Boot Camp. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm new to this whole Windows to Mac transformation thing.

Yes you need eopard, Some flavor of windows. and Boot Camp. I use XP on my Mac Pro and it runs pretty good. I never tried it on a imac. If you do not want to do the windows thing give x-plane a shot. It has a higher learn curve but when it is all set up I like it beter that FSX, but you can't go wrong with eather.

ARKI1980
Sep 8, 2008, 09:21 AM
Well, the iMac I just bought comes with OS 10.5 Leopard and Boot Camp. I was wondering if I would get the best gameplay with XP or Vista. And then there Service Pak 1 and 2. What would you recommend? And Once I get Windows running, can I play any other Windows games as well?

dimme
Sep 8, 2008, 08:32 PM
Well, the iMac I just bought comes with OS 10.5 Leopard and Boot Camp. I was wondering if I would get the best gameplay with XP or Vista. And then there Service Pak 1 and 2. What would you recommend? And Once I get Windows running, can I play any other Windows games as well?
I like XP only because I own it and do not want to pay for Vista. And yes once you have windows installed you have a windows machine and you can play all the games and get all the other windows stuff including viruses. If I did not own windows XP I would buy Vista, you can get a OEM version for less $$$.

Muncher
Sep 8, 2008, 11:34 PM
I like XP only because I own it and do not want to pay for Vista. And yes once you have windows installed you have a windows machine and you can play all the games and get all the other windows stuff including viruses. If I did not own windows XP I would buy Vista, you can get a OEM version for less $$$.

The viruses do not carry over to the mac side. Only Vista 32-bit is supported in Boot Camp; if you buy 64-bit, you will be without drivers (bad :().

Zortrium
Sep 9, 2008, 12:29 AM
The viruses do not carry over to the mac side. Only Vista 32-bit is supported in Boot Camp; if you buy 64-bit, you will be without drivers (bad :().

Not true - the 2008 Mac Pros came with 64-bit Vista Boot Camp drivers, which can also be manually downloaded and used to run 64-bit Vista on other Macs. A few weeks ago I used this method to get 64-bit Vista running on my 2008 iMac and it runs wonderfully (games and all). I know that people have also gotten 64-bit Vista running on Macbooks.

Thunderbird8
Sep 9, 2008, 03:04 AM
I have vista 64 bit pro under bootcamp and let me tell you, it TRANSFORMED the performance of FSX under windows. It was more like a hardware than a software update.

ARKI1980
Sep 9, 2008, 07:14 AM
Dimme, thanks for the info.....I looked at both X-Plane and FSX and they both look good to me... I'm deciding to get the X-Plane for now just so I don't have to buy a new Windows XP or Vista... If, for some reason, I'm not happy with X-Plane, I'll switch over to FSX.... But at least I know I have the chance to switch over to FSX if X-Plane isn't all what it's cracked out to be....Thanks again

ARKI1980
Sep 9, 2008, 07:18 AM
By the way, can anyone tell me what joystick would be good for X-Plane?.. I'm not a pilot or an expert in these games...I wouldn't mind something simple with 6 to 8 buttons...I looked at Logitech, Saitek, and CH... I liked the Logitech Freedpm 2.4 Cordless....Any comments on it?

dimme
Sep 9, 2008, 07:34 AM
By the way, can anyone tell me what joystick would be good for X-Plane?.. I'm not a pilot or an expert in these games...I wouldn't mind something simple with 6 to 8 buttons...I looked at Logitech, Saitek, and CH... I liked the Logitech Freedpm 2.4 Cordless....Any comments on it?

Check out X-plane.org hey have all the answers about Xplane!

bgahan
Sep 15, 2008, 04:51 PM
Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well. I'm a pilot and have been with MS flight simulator for years. I fly the Airbus, 737-300/700, and 757 add-ons primarily. These are the add-on companies.

Feelthere (737-300)
PMDG (737-700/800/900)
PSS (Airbus/Boeing 757)

Recently just bought a 24" iMac. Here is the configuration:
Duo Core 2.8GHz
4GB memory
512 8800GS

Running boot camp with XP and FS2004 is a joke. I get great frame rates but I get a complete freeze which appears to be related to the sound or graphics. I believe it is the sound.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I should mention I'm running Boot Camp 2.1 with XP Professional SP2. (SP3 had same issue).

Does anyone know how to resolve this by chance?

Brian
Phoenix

dimme
Sep 15, 2008, 09:38 PM
I have a mac pro with XP Pro SP3 & FSX and I get freezes almost every time I go to the menu bar. Most time I have to reboot. Never been able to figure it out so I don't use FSX much. Sure would like make it work. I am too cheap to upgrade to Vista.

Thunderbird8
Sep 16, 2008, 01:13 AM
I'm afraid you will have to get Vista, which cured the problem for me and also made a huge improvement in performance. Get an OEM copy, it's legal with a Mac as it's classed as a system build.

dmr727
Sep 16, 2008, 01:17 AM
Anyone getting consistent 60+ fps out of FSX? If so, what hardware and settings are you running?

I've been out of the flight simulator game for awhile, but high frame rates have always been a priority to me.

psionmark
Sep 16, 2008, 01:43 AM
I'm afraid you will have to get Vista, which cured the problem for me and also made a huge improvement in performance. Get an OEM copy, it's legal with a Mac as it's classed as a system build.

Do you know where I can get an OEM Vista?

Mark

psionmark
Sep 16, 2008, 01:45 AM
Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well. I'm a pilot and have been with MS flight simulator for years. I fly the Airbus, 737-300/700, and 757 add-ons primarily. These are the add-on companies.

Feelthere (737-300)
PMDG (737-700/800/900)
PSS (Airbus/Boeing 757)

Recently just bought a 24" iMac. Here is the configuration:
Duo Core 2.8GHz
4GB memory
512 8800GS

Running boot camp with XP and FS2004 is a joke. I get great frame rates but I get a complete freeze which appears to be related to the sound or graphics. I believe it is the sound.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I should mention I'm running Boot Camp 2.1 with XP Professional SP2. (SP3 had same issue).

Does anyone know how to resolve this by chance?

Brian
Phoenix

I'm running FS2004 with a huge array of add-ons on a MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz, 4Gb RAM, 256Mb 8600) and it's flawless - never had a problem with it.

You could verify it's the sound by disabling the hardware and testing it. If it is that, you might be better off with a USB sound card.

Mark

ARKI1980
Sep 16, 2008, 07:24 AM
I just got X-Plane V9 yesterday...Tried installing it, but some point in the installation, there's an error that it cannot extract a specific file. The CD was a little scratched....Could it be that.... Or is there something wrong with my iMac...I mean my iMac is literally 3 days old..... HELP!!

pwn247
Sep 16, 2008, 08:26 AM
I just got X-Plane V9 yesterday...Tried installing it, but some point in the installation, there's an error that it cannot extract a specific file. The CD was a little scratched....Could it be that.... Or is there something wrong with my iMac...I mean my iMac is literally 3 days old..... HELP!!

Have you tried contacting the X-Plane support? :rolleyes: This is discussion about Flight Simulator on a Mac- not a support page for an application. :p

It's like buying a Dell and going to HP for tech support.

dimme
Sep 16, 2008, 01:51 PM

I had a similar problem I email Xplane support and they got me going. Happy X plane flying!!

ColeUK
Oct 10, 2008, 10:20 AM
Hi guys need some advice.

Looking to move across to Apple and buy an imac, Specs below:

Imac 24"
3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2 GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS w/512MB GDDR3
Apple Mighty Mouse
Wireless keyboard (British) & User’s Guide (English)
Mobile Me (Phone is due for upgrade and im getting an iphone)

I grew up playing FS so im looking to play this again on the Imac, could you please tell me what i need and need to consider with FS and the imac.

Are the specs mentioned gonna give me some great gameplay?

So far i understand:

- Install Vista onto bootcamp (I presume i need to create a HD partition for this?, how much should I allocate, I will eventually install addon's both scenery and aircraft.) can the partition be changed, increased/decreased

- ReadyBoost - Will this benefit the imac and gameplay?

What else do i need to think about or consider?

Should I wait for a possible Imac spec upgrade in early 2009?

econoline06
Oct 10, 2008, 03:36 PM
I'm running it under Vista via Bootcamp on a 17" MacBook Pro and it's pretty good. I get a slight pause sometimes during really hard turns in bad weather, but that's about it.

Flight Simulator 2004 is smooth as silk with all settings maxed out, as is X-Plane 9 under OSX :)

Cheers,

Mark

X-Plane 9 can be configured with setting levels that will choke ANY system, I don't care how high end it is, what settings are you using? The performance is okay on my iMac 2.4GHz (256 Radeon 2600) but I wouldn't call it amazing, especially during inclement weather.

econoline06
Oct 10, 2008, 03:37 PM
Do you know where I can get an OEM Vista?

Mark

Buy it............just a suggestion :rolleyes:

dimme
Oct 10, 2008, 10:23 PM
I grew up playing FS so im looking to play this again on the Imac, could you please tell me what i need and need to consider with FS and the imac.

I too have been flying FS since my commodore 64. I still use FSX once in a while but I like Xplane much better, and I don't have to hassle with windows.
Give x plane a try!

Infrared
Oct 12, 2008, 08:07 AM
X-Plane 9 can be configured with setting levels that will choke ANY system, I don't care how high end it is, what settings are you using?

I suspect both flight sims are quite poorly written. When you
consider the general lack of polish and the hardware demands
compared to other games, it is quite embarrassing. I think we
can forgive Austin a little because he has not the resources of
Microsoft. But how does one explain the jaggies on the GPS here:

That's simply rubbish. There's also digital noise in the GPS image.

And the knobs on the radio control panel point the wrong way!
They're not aligned with the panel plane normal vector. I mean,
how difficult is it to come up with decent quality 2D images?

Then again, at times FS-X can look quite lovely. But it should do:
it makes Crysis level demands on a system. It even uses 100% of
4 cores (that's 4 x 2.8GHz on a Mac Pro) just to display the free
flight menu... I mean... *speechless*

Thunderbird8
Oct 13, 2008, 02:05 AM
Sitting with a bunch of IT guys at a recent flight sim meeting watching FSX start up and run the menu screen, looking at the system resources in use, and they all asked the same question:

What's it doing?

Having said that it's all I fly with! ;)

flcnfxr
Oct 13, 2008, 05:43 AM
Hey guys... new to this so hopefully I'm putting this comment in the right place. I have a new Macbook Pro and partitioned the hard drive to run Windows on one side. Made sure I left plenty of space for FS X and am only running one other very small program on the Windows side. FS X has started and run great for the first 4 months that I have had the machine, but suddenly will not initialize. I click the desktop icon and the "title screen" opens with the hourglass but that is it. I can end the program and send an error report, but I do not get a status of the fault from the MS site. I've removed and reinstalled the entire program, but it still does not work. Any suggestions? Stuck at Kunsan AB Korea for a year without FS is going to kill me! Help?

flcnfxr
Oct 13, 2008, 06:23 AM
There are some error report contents: Unfortunately this is all I have to go on.

...LOCALS~1Temp\WERedf7.dir00\fsx.exe.mdmp and ...appcompat\txt

FYI: I have installed FSX Service Pack 2

Thanks for any help you can provide!

dimme
Oct 13, 2008, 07:33 AM
There are some error report contents: Unfortunately this is all I have to go on.

...LOCALS~1Temp\WERedf7.dir00\fsx.exe.mdmp and ...appcompat\txt

FYI: I have installed FSX Service Pack 2

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I would try reinstalling on top of you old FSX.
BTW there is a great tool called winclone which allowes you to back up your windows partishion. So if you do have a problemin the future you just reinstall the backup.

econoline06
Oct 13, 2008, 10:15 AM
I suspect both flight sims are quite poorly written. When you
consider the general lack of polish and the hardware demands
compared to other games, it is quite embarrassing. I think we
can forgive Austin a little because he has not the resources of
Microsoft. But how does one explain the jaggies on the GPS here:

That's simply rubbish. There's also digital noise in the GPS image.

And the knobs on the radio control panel point the wrong way!
They're not aligned with the panel plane normal vector. I mean,
how difficult is it to come up with decent quality 2D images?

Then again, at times FS-X can look quite lovely. But it should do:
it makes Crysis level demands on a system. It even uses 100% of
4 cores (that's 4 x 2.8GHz on a Mac Pro) just to display the free
flight menu... I mean... *speechless*

I agree. Though I am not a FSX user so I cannot comment on it, X-Plane 9 really needs an overhaul in regards to performance. I first tested it on a quad-core 3.something GHz Mac Pro with the highest end ATI card they had out then (it was the 512 MB card from Apple, the name escapes me). I figure, wow this computer has got a ton of horsepower right? So I crank up the settings (not maxed out, but still on "extreme res" that sort of thing) and the frame-rate was absolutely horrid. I'd be surprised if I was getting 20 fps! There have been refinements and it usually runs adequately on my iMac, but I would still really like to see Austin get his crew in gear and optimize it.

Davieis
Jan 31, 2009, 07:20 AM
Hi Guys,

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead.

I have a question for all those running FS2004 on their macs. Everyone seems to say that the performance is 'smooth as silk' and runs so great on them although I cant seem to get acceptable frames/smoothness at all on my 20" iMac (2600Pro, 3GB Kingston Ram, 2.4Ghz C2D). When I add AA and put display settings on medium-high it is awfully jerky and un-smooth when flying even a default aircraft. I am running XP SP2 through Bootcamp and downloaded the Bootcamp 2600XT drivers from the ATI web site.

Could anyone give me some tips on how they've gotten FS to run acceptably on their iMac/Macbook rigs?

Am I using the correct graphics card drivers? I must be doing something wrong as I hear nothing but positive results of FS9 running on the latest iMacs.

Some help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

David

luidao1
May 7, 2010, 05:45 PM
Hi Guys,

Im new in the Mac world but very old on the Microsoft FS. My first version of MFS was the FS 5.... 1993. I never was rich enought to have a top computer to run the software consequently never had a huge FPS. However I decided to buy an iMac for my business things and made a research about FSX on that. Found a lot of things which encourage me to go ahead and try this experience.

I can say now.... FSX runs very good under Bootcamp and Win XP.

If you dont use add-on aircrafts and sceneries, the FPS with highest quality on everything and without tweak the fsx.cfg will runs around 25 fds.
Installing add-ons and tweaking I got the average of 13 fps in a Mega So Paulo Scenery and Latin VFR Guarulhos Airport in the PMDG MD-11. It is already enought to flight but when I unchecked the antialiasing box, the FPS cames up to 18 on the ground and after clouds up to around 35.
During approaches on add-on airports and cities the average runs around 23 FPS.

I hope that my review helps someone. Im sure that my choice for an iMac was the best. Now I have all the amazing apple world in my hands and also finally flying the FSX as always dreamed.

luidao1
May 7, 2010, 05:56 PM
Hi Guys,

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead.

I have a question for all those running FS2004 on their macs. Everyone seems to say that the performance is 'smooth as silk' and runs so great on them although I cant seem to get acceptable frames/smoothness at all on my 20" iMac (2600Pro, 3GB Kingston Ram, 2.4Ghz C2D). When I add AA and put display settings on medium-high it is awfully jerky and un-smooth when flying even a default aircraft. I am running XP SP2 through Bootcamp and downloaded the Bootcamp 2600XT drivers from the ATI web site.

Could anyone give me some tips on how they've gotten FS to run acceptably on their iMac/Macbook rigs?

Am I using the correct graphics card drivers? I must be doing something wrong as I hear nothing but positive results of FS9 running on the latest iMacs.

Some help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

Im not sure what is your Mac device however I imagine that has a Core 2 Duo processor, right?
If yes, did you change the boot.ini file and downloaded some files to windows folder heading to enable dual processors?
If not follow these steps and will work:

You can do this two ways.
Option #1 - Hal / NToskrnl replacement
a. Make a directory called DUO on C:\
b. Copy halmacpi.dll (search your C:\ drive for this) to C:\DUO then rename it to hal.dll
c. Copy ntkrnlmp.exe (search your C:\ drive for this) to C:\DUO then rename it to ntoskrnl.exe
d. Make a batch file called go2core.cmd and put this in the file.

C:
CD\windows\system32
REN hal.dll hal.old
copy C:\Duo\hal.dll C:\windows\system32
REN ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.old
copy C:\Duo\ntoskrnl.exe c:\windows\system32

e. Run Go2Core.cmd from C:\duo directory.
f. Reboot and you should now see two processors in Task manager

Option #2. Add a 2nd boot option to your boot.ini file
a. Copy halmacpi.dll (search your C:\ drive for this) to C:\Windows\system32
b. Copy ntkrnlmp.exe(search your C:\ drive for this) to C:\Windows\system32
c: Remove the read only flag from c:\boot.ini (right click on file and remove check box)
d. Edit your boot.ini file to the following

#ORIGINAL boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

#EDITED boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Multi-Processor" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /HAL=halmacpi.dll /kernel=ntkrnlmp.exe

I got these instructions at: http://www.notebookforums.com/thread183802.html

Also, try to find some tweak tips on the internet. There are few helpfull

dimme
May 8, 2010, 12:31 PM
Hi Guys,

Im new in the Mac world but very old on the Microsoft FS. My first version of MFS was the FS 5.... 1993. I never was rich enought to have a top computer to run the software consequently never had a huge FPS. However I decided to buy an iMac for my business things and made a research about FSX on that. Found a lot of things which encourage me to go ahead and try this experience.

I can say now.... FSX runs very good under Bootcamp and Win XP.

If you dont use add-on aircrafts and sceneries, the FPS with highest quality on everything and without tweak the fsx.cfg will runs around 25 fds.
Installing add-ons and tweaking I got the average of 13 fps in a Mega So Paulo Scenery and Latin VFR Guarulhos Airport in the PMDG MD-11. It is already enought to flight but when I unchecked the antialiasing box, the FPS cames up to 18 on the ground and after clouds up to around 35.
During approaches on add-on airports and cities the average runs around 23 FPS.

I hope that my review helps someone. Im sure that my choice for an iMac was the best. Now I have all the amazing apple world in my hands and also finally flying the FSX as always dreamed.
Glad to here FSX is working out for you. If you get the chance give Windows 7 a try. For me it was a big performance boost, partly because FSX now saw all my ram.

arran13
Aug 15, 2010, 10:41 PM
i have just bought an imac installed windows xp sp2 32 bit on it via bootcamp and i camp get my graphics card to come along to this side! i dont know what to do, i've tried using the software several times but it still says there's nographics card, why?

dimme
Aug 16, 2010, 07:02 AM
i have just bought an imac installed windows xp sp2 32 bit on it via bootcamp and i camp get my graphics card to come along to this side! i dont know what to do, i've tried using the software several times but it still says there's nographics card, why?

Did you use the apple drivers?

maccompaq
Aug 16, 2010, 09:48 AM

Have you downloaded the Service packs for FSX?