PDA

View Full Version : DVD question: 2 drives= 2 regions?

willow
Oct 2, 2003, 03:18 PM
Hello!

I plan on buying a powermac, finally :D (i have contemplating switching for quite some time now...)
I should choose a DP 1.25 G4.

I have one question:

If i put two DVD drives in the tower, will I be able to lock one in Region 1 and the other one in Region 2? Or is the region lock a software setting that applies to the whole system?

I really need to be able to play both Region DVDs...

Thanks a lot for any help!

MacsRgr8
Oct 3, 2003, 01:55 PM
I think you will get 2 regions.
The drive itself which gets the region code, not the OS...

ColoJohnBoy
Oct 3, 2003, 02:08 PM
Yep, you'll be able to set two different regions. The drives on my PowerBooks have each said, the first time I put a DVD movie in, that it will code the drive to whatever region, that I may change it up to five times, and then after that it will be locked to the selected region. It may be different with the tray drives, I don't know.

idkew
Oct 3, 2003, 02:33 PM
there are utilities out there which will allow you to either make your dvd drive regionless or let you change them any time you want, as much as you want...

they COULD mess your drive up, but to me at least, it would be worht the risk to try something free rather than buying a second drive...

do a google search.

idkew
Oct 3, 2003, 02:50 PM
there is a lot of info out there for you...

look at google here (http://www.google.com/search?q=region+dvd+firmware&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)

good site here (http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php)

Kwyjibo
Oct 3, 2003, 03:08 PM
the cool thing about the powermacs is that if you bust a driveu don't bust the machine like u do in a laptop.... i have a modded xbox that plays all regions.. i don't even need to use the feature but its an option

idkew
Oct 3, 2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
the cool thing about the powermacs is that if you bust a driveu don't bust the machine like u do in a laptop...

why would a drive be/act any different in a powerbook than in a tower? if i felt it necessary, i could take out my dvd/cr-rw and my laptop would work fine.

Nermal
Oct 3, 2003, 06:43 PM
If you're considering getting a second drive, I recommend the Asus DVD-E616, it's fully compatible with OS X, and has unlimited region code changes. Don't know how well it would work in Apple's case though - you reset the region code by holding both buttons while rebooting the system.

idkew
Oct 4, 2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Nermal
If you're considering getting a second drive, I recommend the Asus DVD-E616, it's fully compatible with OS X, and has unlimited region code changes. Don't know how well it would work in Apple's case though - you reset the region code by holding both buttons while rebooting the system.

well, you can boot a g4 tower while it is open, so it is possible...

willow
Oct 4, 2003, 05:10 PM
Thanks a lot everyone!

I will try to make the drive region-free if I find the appropriate firmware update.

And if not I obviously will use a second drive as the lock applies to each drive as opposed to the whole OS.

So good news! :D

Thanks!