Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
It's got a little too many scratches, a dead pixel (liar seller :( ) and the UMD drive seems knackered.

I don't know much about the PSP but if I hear the drive constantly spinning, the little disc loading bubble is going and nothing happens at all (going on 10 minutes now) after I've gone at it with a little cleaning kit - is it broke?

I'm thinking about building a Pandora battery now, telling the seller I'm going to return it and buying myself a slim later today. I'll lose a bit of homebrew till it gets ported but it seems like the best option. Much rather get a brand new system now.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ That sucks. That's always the risk with used items on ebay....
Get onto the seller / paypal / ebay and your CC company.

Does the Slim with alternative 3.17 M33 firmware not run all the homebrew stuff then ? I know it runs all the emulators and ISO's...

At least you'll be get getting a new machine, with 12 months warranty and better battery life and improved UMD read speed.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I've emailed the seller. He seems like a nice chap and even if he doesn't kindly accept a refund there are always plenty on buyer protection things on eBay.
I'm building a Pandora battery now. It's a 40 step process just to make the thing!

How is the Slim compared to the old model, btw? Get me all excited :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ Mine only shipped yesterday, so it's gonna be end of next week, or maybe the week after (depending on how many days off the postman takes during the holidays)

Fingers crossed it's all resolved quickly for you.

What's a pandora battery anyway ?

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I hope you get your money back for the bad PSP. That kind of seller give all the honest sellers a bad name!

Anyway the new PSP-Slims are prettier :D

I'm pretty sure the pandora battery is specially designed to put the PSP into a special test mode where you can flash the firmware, even if the PSP is bricked. Probably the method used by Sony to do this in extreme cases.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I think he's a good seller. Has a good rating at least and was very helpful in emails.

Well I'm trundeling along building a Pandora for a slim. I really hope this works as I've only got a small window before I have to send the PSP back! Don't usually have much luck with these things.

And yes the Slims do look very pretty :) I really wanted one but I was told so few homebrew apps worked on it - then I found out too late that most of them have been updated to work again :eek:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I see you can buy a pandoras battery for $38 AU (£16.80) including shipping and a 1GB Duo Card with the firmwares on it.

Would that not be easier than building one ? Or maybe I'm just too frickin lazy. Even though I have modded a few consoles in my time (PS2, Slim PS2, Xbox, Wii) I have only ever done so to simply allow import play, so never got into this homebrew or backup scene.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Holy Christ the Slim is a thing of beauty!

I'm in love.

Fingers crossed - about to get M33 on it.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
eah the slim is a lot better. The buttons are nicer, the d-pad was way better, the weight is a lot better than the psp 'phat' and some newer games do load a couple seconds sooner which is nice.

Good luck hacking it :eek: I wasn't brave enough to hack mine, only my ipod :p

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
3.71 M33-4 is now on my brand spanking new PSP. Honestly though this is a huge update over the old one. Yea the buttons are really something nice!

Oh yea, had to buy some package. Got Star Wars something-or-other with it. I think Squadron is in the title. It was only £5 more than the usual base price.

Super cheeky of Sony not to include a memory card though. A 32mb one just for saves would have been nice...

Brb I'm going to get all romantic with it.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
3.71 M33-4 is now on my brand spanking new PSP. Honestly though this is a huge update over the old one. Yea the buttons are really something nice!

Oh yea, had to buy some package. Got Star Wars something-or-other with it. I think Squadron is in the title. It was only £5 more than the usual base price.

Super cheeky of Sony not to include a memory card though. A 32mb one just for saves would have been nice...

Brb I'm going to get all romantic with it.

congrats on the purchase! ithought they came with a memory card though? maybe just in the US, i don't know.

be gentle now! :p

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I'm amazed the PSP isn't significantly more popular than the DS. Could be me, but the last truly great game I played on the DS was Dawn of Sorrows. Nothing this year has really grabbed my attention whereas the PSP has built up a steady library of good games (but not amazing, nothing I've played yet even comes close to DoS - on both systems!).

I like how easy all the homebrew stuff is now. It's a cake walk compared to what it used to be.

Cave Story on the PSP is just my dream come true.

FF7 here I bloody come!

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Sad to hear about your PSP jimmi but enjoy it none the less...The PSP slim is damn light and the buttons are very responsive. I'm feeling the need to slap that custom firmware on my PSP slim.

How come your psp didn't come with a memory stick.....mines came with a 1gig card.

Bless

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Sad to hear about your PSP jimmi but enjoy it none the less...The PSP slim is damn light and the buttons are very responsive. I'm feeling the need to slap that custom firmware on my PSP slim.

How come your psp didn't come with a memory stick.....mines came with a 1gig card.

Bless

yeah i thought it was supposed to come with a memory stick. maybe only in the US?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I'm amazed the PSP isn't significantly more popular than the DS. Could be me, but the last truly great game I played on the DS was Dawn of Sorrows.

Last great game I played was Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Don't know where you're living :p

ChrisK018

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Washington, DC
I'm amazed the PSP isn't significantly more popular than the DS. Could be me, but the last truly great game I played on the DS was Dawn of Sorrows.

I seem to recall you championing the DS, and buying, then quickly returning a PSP a number of months ago. What has precipitated this massive shift?

I have both, and like 'em fine, but in a pinch I'd go with the DS.

Mr. Sexy

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
You can make Pandoras battery in under 5 minutes, if you hardmod it. That's the easiest way, and goood luck with homebrewing your PSP, I've been doing it since 1.5.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I'm amazed the PSP isn't significantly more popular than the DS. Could be me, but the last truly great game I played on the DS was Dawn of Sorrows. Nothing this year has really grabbed my attention whereas the PSP has built up a steady library of good games (but not amazing, nothing I've played yet even comes close to DoS - on both systems!).

You must have been under a rock! :p And Dawn of Sorrow came out "two" years ago. How come you haven't played Portrait of Rune? In it's own respect it's a great game. And what about Magical Starsign?!!! :mad: This game is GREAT and all of ye monkeys are just ignoring its glory. It's certainly better than FF 3, FF 4, and putrid vomit like Childrend of Mana, or most of Square Enix's puke these days.

Lots of great games on the DS, you're just bored and spent too much time nibbling on your foot or something. :p

We'll race to see which version of CaveStory gets done first, the PSP or DS. :) SO nyaaaaa. :p :p :p

<]=)

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Last great game I played was Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Don't know where you're living :p

beat me too it(also, I really want to get Contra 4) - but thats all off topic.

Congrats jimmi on the purchase welcome to the "Dark side" ;)
(I'm assuming you got the white PSP with Vader on the back)

FYI: I believe the daxter bundle does infact come with a memory stick.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Oh heavens no! Went for the black one as I mostly play at night, mostly.

I've been living a lie with the DS! Some games were good, notably New Mario and DoS (did not like PoR one bit :eek: ). But I'm so friggin addicted to GTA:LCS and LocoRoco that it isn't funny. I've got a slew of games hitting my face this Xmas so it's only going to get worse. I found Pokemon Pearl to eventually turn into a terribly mediocre game in the end, I just totally gave up and used repel potions at that snow area. No fan of the new Zelda either. Contra 4 hasn't grabbed me like "Super Probotector" has on the VC. All this big titles haven't stuck!

The DS's reign is over for me till the next uber-stellar game.

:eek:

... Oh come on! As if I'm known for my consistent attitude to systems and games :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.