PDA

View Full Version : failed hdd in ibook; what to do?

homeshire
Dec 20, 2007, 10:31 AM
i have hands on an ibook with specs as below. the hdd has failed and will not boot. i am way too stupid to hunt down a replacement hdd. i have zero experience here. could someone tell me a good replacement? don't need top of the line, just want to get the book functioning again. the failed drive is a hitachi ic25n060atmr04-0.

thanks

Eidorian
Dec 20, 2007, 10:32 AM
You really don't want to open up an iBook.

Cave Man
Dec 20, 2007, 12:11 PM
Here's a nice one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148130) (ATA-6 interface). But Eidorian's right - replacing an HD in an iBook isn't for the uninitiated. I did it once and it took me two hours. If you decide to do it, be sure you have no distractions for the duration and get yourself an ice cube rack to put screws in from each step of the process. Here's a good walk-through (http://www.faqintosh.com/risorse/en/guides/hw/ibook/g4hd/) (only 57 pages long). Let us know how it goes.

geissap
Dec 20, 2007, 12:21 PM
Indeed. Taking off the top case and bottom case with no experience is a bear. Apple using a special nylon tool to do it. It can be done but it's not an easy repair by any means. Apple will replace it for about 300 bucks. I'd say just go with Apple. Or buy your own HD and find a third party to put it in for you.

FJ218700
Dec 20, 2007, 12:30 PM
Indeed. Taking off the top case and bottom case with no experience is a bear. Apple using a special nylon tool to do it. It can be done but it's not an easy repair by any means. Apple will replace it for about 300 bucks. I'd say just go with Apple. Or buy your own HD and find a third party to put it in for you.

actually, it's not that bad. I replaced the HD on my 800 MHz ibook last week, took less than an hour. there are about 40 screws and three hex bolts (8 mm). All you need is a small phillips screwdriver, an 8 mm hex wrench, and a small flat-head screwdriver for prying. The worst part is disconnecting the powersupply and speakers from the logic board after the case is split.

just keep track of which screw goes where. There is a good guide on iFixit.

edit: just saw that you are talking about a G4, sorry, might be more difficult.

eman
Dec 20, 2007, 12:39 PM
If you are going to spend $300 - $400, put this money towards a macbook and sell your ibook on greedbay (ebay).

EvryDayImShufln
Dec 20, 2007, 01:33 PM
If you are going to spend $300 - $400, put this money towards a macbook and sell your ibook on greedbay (ebay).

I agree. Either change the hard drive yourself or sell the thing, its not worth paying that much money + the cost of a hard drive to get an old ibook working again.