PDA

View Full Version : G5 memory

mactarheel
Oct 2, 2003, 07:19 PM
I've always used OWC memory in my mac without any problems. With the cost of the new memory for the G5 (and considering I'm virtually broke since the purchase) I'm debating trying another brand. I was looking at crucial and kingston. I'm glad to see all of your recommendations so far. Everyone please keep posting your experiences.

I've been using a program called "Do I need more memory?" to determine how much memory I need to upgrade with. I've only set the alarm off once when I had about 7 programs open and opened photoshop and the program said I was about 35mb short. How much does everyone recommend putting in to start? I currently have the basic 512mb total.

Also, has anyone had their apc backups alarm go off for overload? I have a 500VA with only the G5 on it and I'm setting the alarm off several times a day. How large of a backup is everyone using for their G5?

Thanks!

mislabeledstar
Oct 2, 2003, 10:50 PM
how much memory you need completely depends on what your doing....... the more memory the better..... if i could afford to max out, i would, but i can't, so it's a matter of cost vs. need and finding a middle ground

shadowfax
Oct 3, 2003, 12:05 AM
if the most intensive thing you do is occasionally or frequently dabbling in photoshop, i think 1GB of RAM should cover you perfectly. i wouldn't get much more, though. if you really needed more than 1 GB of RAM, you would more than likely not be asking us, heh.

MacBandit
Oct 3, 2003, 01:06 AM
www.ramseeker.com they specialize in finding the best prices for ram for Macs.