Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stabbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
I'm thinking of buying a Mac Mini in february. I need it to do the following things:

- Listen to music
- Watch videos
- Work with Office
- Guitar Pro
- ScummVM

And that's pretty much it. No surfing the net, no playing games and no photo/video editing. I have some questions about the 1.83Ghz version though:

1) Will I be able to do at least three of the above at the same time at full speed?
2) Will it run Office for Mac flawlessly? I've heard of some issues regarding the Mac version (installing Windows is not an option)
3) Can I easily put in the RAM (2GB) and Hard Drive (250 or 320GB) I want?
4) Are there any common technical problems with the Mac Mini?
5) Can I connect any external HD without problems?
6) Is there a good chance of a new Mac Mini coming in february? I can't wait 'till longer than that.

Thanks in advance:)

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
2) runs fine on my 1.66. Although iWork is growing on me.
3) Depends on your level of comfort with a putty knife and small screwdrivers
4) such as upgrades are not straightforward and require a handy person?
5) Well, ANY, is quite the generalization but yes it will handle most. Personally, I have two ministacks running RAID1 and provided my own drives.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I have a 2gz version...

1) I see no reason why it cant do 3 of these although ive never used Guitar Pro or ScummVM so dont know how processor intensive they are.

2) I run office 2004 and its fine. infact if you buy it now you can get a free upgrade to office 2008 when its released in jan or feb (just have to pay shipping).

3) you can upgrade to 3gb if you want. in fact you can do 4gb if you want to remain dual channel but you will only be able to use just over 3gb of that. I know you can upgrade the HD but dont know what the max size available is. I'd recommend keeping the internal as is and just getting some externals

4) I dont know of any common problems with the latest generation.

5) I have 3 external HD's connected to mine. 2 x 500gb Western Digital mybooks connected through firewire which i picked up cheap at costco and 1 with a usb enclosure ive had for years. they all seem to work just fine.

6) It possible something new will come out. just wait till macworld. its not that much longer to wait.

I love my mac mini :)

Stabbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Is it necessary to go with 2GB RAM, considering my low demands? I have 1GB now on my PC and Vista runs really slow. Does Leopard run better on 1GB? (I'm not gonna install Vista btw)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
you should be fine with 1GB, but since it is fairly hard to upgrade the RAM yourself I would have Apple do it to 2GB so you are good if you want to run something else in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.