Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justinm

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Orlando FL
I have a domain name that redirects to my dyndns account. When I go to my domain, it redirects to my dyndns account hostname. I have seen certain redirects such as mail.domain.com which i know is a redirect but in the address bar it stays the same (mail.domain.com) How is this possible?

:confused:

rhyndu

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2007
A Planet Orbiting Sol!
Well there are several ways: :)
NOTE: This information is given under the assumption that all requests are http - other things (like non-webmail) are handled VERY differently!

1. If the address in the URL bar stays the same even when you click to other pages, you are using frames. This is theworst approach as it does not allow screen readers and people with text-only/REALLY old browsers to view your page.
How it works: In essence, your NS sends all content from yourdomain.com silently to a page on their website that contains a <frameset> tag pointing to your domain.

2. If your host is using these things called A Records, your URL will change when you click on links in your site. What it does is whisper to the browser "I know you have typed in yourdomain.com but you should really get content from freewebs.com/yoursitewithlonguglyurl"!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.