PDA

View Full Version : Dead HD on 1st generation iMac G5 20"

maitestrella
Dec 21, 2007, 01:10 AM
Hello everyone, new member here, not very Mac savvy, my apologies in advance...

First the question, then the story:

Does anyone suspect that a dead hard drive in a 20" iMac G5 could somehow be related to the component failure described in the iMac G5 Repair Extension Program offered by Apple?

(http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302181)

Although the article does not list hard drive failure as one of the symptoms caused by this component failure, I am still concerned that it could possibly be related, based on the fact that it was purchased during the date range specified, and the serial number falls within the range specified.

So here's the story: A short while back, the iMac suddenly stopped booting. It only got as far as a gray screen with a small folder image in the center, alternating between a question (?) mark and the Mac Finder face. After asking around and checking a few forums, the ultimate consensus was that it was unable to detect the hard drive. So I took it to a Genius Bar; the fellow who was helping me tested the startup, then took out the hard drive and put it in an enclosure to test it, and concluded that the hard drive is dead. He pointed out that, even in the enclosure, it had no power at all; the only solution would be to buy a new hard drive.

I did some more online searching after coming home, and found quite a few forums discussing the above warranty extension, several of which cited the logic board as the problem component referenced in the article from Apple, and that there were bad caps in these models that were overheating. Sadly, I don't really know what any of that means... But should I be hesitant to simply replace the hard drive, for fear that the same thing could happen again? And does the fact that the article references power issues, combined with the fact that the Mac Genius told me that there was no power in the hard drive, mean that it could perhaps be related? Do I have a case to try and pursue the extension repair?

Thanks to everyone who made it all the way to the end of this post. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Sun Baked
Dec 21, 2007, 01:14 AM
Hard drives die all the time, the newer quieter models don't seem to have the reliability the noisy ball bearing in a coffee can sounding drives in the past had.

Nano Sour
Dec 21, 2007, 06:23 AM
Hi...

I have a similar story. Had a first gen 17" G5 that had to have the mother board replaced under the warranty program. About 2 months later had to have the HD replaced under my Apple Care Warranty. After another 15 months went by with no real problems other the loud fan speeds, I opened the box and noticed the capacitors were blown again. I called Apple Care and said I wanted the motherboard replaced again b/f the warranty ran out. Obviously it was just a matter of time b/f it failed again. Much to my surprise, they offered to replace the computer with a current 17 Intel machine at no cost. I was floored, but love my new iMac as it is a huge improvement over the PPC G5. Very quiet and fast.

I would check your capacitors on the motherboard and if they are popped out, I'd politely request it be replaced. They may offer the same thing.

Do a google search on "faulty iMac capacitors" and you'll find plenty of pictures of what you're looking for.

maitestrella
Dec 24, 2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks for your input, Nano Sour. Very helpful info. I don't mind replacing the hard drive, as long as the board isn't about to poop out on me too. I'll check it out.