Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
I'm having some weird problems (annoyances). First, I don't think that Quartz Extreme is on. When I watch DVD's, I can't see through the menu's, and when I put it into the Dock, they don't continue to play. Maybe I just don't know what to look for either. Another thing is that my PowerMac makes little squeaks every second (on time too), and is emmited from the very back of the machine, near the power plug. Does anyone know why I am experiencing these problems? If so, what can I do?

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I don't think QE is an on/off thing. It just exists. Maybe because they're new, and the OS version is kinda strange, they made some mistakes in it.. It'll be worked out.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
mmmdreg, you can turn QE on and off with third party apps. it just seems like it is off for no appearant reason, but i can't download anything from versiontracker, so i can't tell yet. that is deep man.:p

wbrowne1

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If the ticking noises you hear are the same as the ones I hear they can be disabled by downloading CHUD tools from versiontracker. Apparently if you disable NAPing then they go away. The fans will spin a little faster, but there are no longer any cricket noises coming from your comp.

The noise is a clicking that only happens when the computer isn't doing any CPU intensive tasks, and gets louder if you go into the energy saver control panel and switch processor performance to highest, right?

check here for more info.

hope that helps :)

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
about your QE problems--that's really not supposed to happen. i can't begin to imagine why it would. have you called apple about it?

by the way, mmmdreg is right about QE, it can't be turned off without an apple app called "Quartz Extreme," which doesn't come with your computer. you might also have trouble finding it. you don't need it, though, 'cos it's only good for turning it off. if it isn't already on, the program won't help you.

again, i would call apple.

AngryAngel

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
If QE is active, the cursor has a drop shadow.

I've experienced some wierd things going on with 10.2.7- such as selecting files in list view in the Finder- if you click on the top item, then shift-click on the bottom item (to select all between them), it leaves out a few random files (or it appears to- the highlight colour doesn't appear). Select all will select all the files though. Wierd. I've also had Safari crash much more frequently than on other machines.

I'm sure Panther will fix these things- apart from anything else, the highlighting looks totally different (has rounded corners).

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by AngryAngel
If QE is active, the cursor has a drop shadow.

I've experienced some wierd things going on with 10.2.7- such as selecting files in list view in the Finder- if you click on the top item, then shift-click on the bottom item (to select all between them), it leaves out a few random files (or it appears to- the highlight colour doesn't appear). Select all will select all the files though. Wierd. I've also had Safari crash much more frequently than on other machines.

I'm sure Panther will fix these things- apart from anything else, the highlighting looks totally different (has rounded corners).

No, the cursor has a dropshadow if your graphics card supports certain features. QE has nothing to do with it, except that many machines that support QE also support cursor shadows.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
My G5 won't play movies when they're minimized to the dock, I wouldn't be worried... I'm sure it will be fixed for Panther.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
thanks

my g5 doesn't have the noises any more, although i haven't been able to get through to apple about QE. QE just makes things run much smoother (in my experience)... Oh well... Panther is in 11 days or so, yey!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.