Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChipSeraphine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
I've a ton of (MS) friends that play EVE, and I've been excited to join them-- but the latest client freezes everything up every 15m or so on my MacBook (running 10.4.11). I'm wondering if that is partially due to the lack of a real graphics card on the MacBook line.

Has anyone had suggess playing EVE on a MacBook Pro or MacPro?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I have, the framerate isn't spectacular, but it works without crashing for me.

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
The Mac version works fine and if you want shiny graphics, run it on Bootcamp. The Mac version doesn't have the premium graphics package. I'm running an old intel iMac.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
The Mac version works fine and if you want shiny graphics, run it on Bootcamp. The Mac version doesn't have the premium graphics package. I'm running an old intel iMac.

The promise is that the premium graphics package will be early 2008 (they didn't give specifics) when Transgaming gets their side a little more up-to-date to handle the DX9c calls they are using.

The thing that I find odd is that they must be using something kinda odd, since C&C3 is a DX9c game as well and works okay via Cider.

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
I tried the demo on my MBP in Bootcamp with XP, and it ran fine. I even installed the premium package for the demo and it was great. Then I realized that I have a real life to live, and if I want to keep progressing, I can not be wasting my time in the virtual world;) It really was addicting, and it seems like a great game, but not worth hundreds of hours of my life. If these were my college days again, I would have played this...

Rivix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2005
I know its a old topic, but does the Mac client support the premium graphics now?

lilrichie

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2007
I have it installed on my 24" and it appears to be premium graphics supported as it looks amazing.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I have it installed on my 24" and it appears to be premium graphics supported as it looks amazing.

Hate to say it, but you weren't running with the premium graphics.

Right now the only way to get them is to run EvE via Crossover. They still haven't gotten the premium content up on the Mac side yet.

Rivix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2005
Hate to say it, but you weren't running with the premium graphics.

Right now the only way to get them is to run EvE via Crossover. They still haven't gotten the premium content up on the Mac side yet.

Bah! Thats unfortunate. I'll probably install it through OSX anyway and switch to bootcamp because i'll have that installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.