PDA

View Full Version : Cursor jumps for no reason

grafikat
Dec 22, 2007, 09:57 AM
Strange problem since I got my MB back from the apple store (got a new hd). Now, every so often, the cursor will jump to a different part of the screen, often when I'm typing. You can imagine how frustrating that can be!

So, has anyone heard of this problem? (ARG! just happened again!). Was the case put back together wrong? Hiccup with the motherboard?

First gen white Macbook 1.83 with 2 GB, running 10.4.11

JMD123
Dec 22, 2007, 10:19 AM
Are you sure a second finger is not hitting the pad? Also is the pad dry and your finger dry?

Mydel
Dec 22, 2007, 10:29 AM
Are you wireless?? My cursor does that when airport is scanning or connecting to network. Also when drops connection and try to reconnect

Wireless Buddy
Dec 22, 2007, 11:27 AM
Strange problem since I got my MB back from the apple store (got a new hd). Now, every so often, the cursor will jump to a different part of the screen, often when I'm typing. You can imagine how frustrating that can be!

So, has anyone heard of this problem? (ARG! just happened again!). Was the case put back together wrong? Hiccup with the motherboard?

First gen white Macbook 1.83 with 2 GB, running 10.4.11

This may sound dumb, but are you sure you aren't resting your finger on the trackpad? I hate trackpad, but when I have to use it, I frequently accidentically put something on the pad and see the mouse jump.

Kilamite
Dec 22, 2007, 12:43 PM
Are you wireless?? My cursor does that when airport is scanning or connecting to network. Also when drops connection and try to reconnect

I get the same problem when I am not connected to a wireless network and AirPort is turned on.

CalBoy
Dec 22, 2007, 02:24 PM
My mbp has experienced this problem as well, and it all started after I put Leopard on.

AFAIK, there is no "solution" of sorts, but when it starts jumping around (if you're using a BT or USB mouse) unplug the mouse/turn off BT to make sure that the only input can be the trackpad. I don't know why, but if I wait a while (~30 seconds) and plug my USB mouse back in, it behaves again.

If the problem is with your trackpad, then I don't know what to tell you. I've played with all the speed settings, etc, and nothing has worked. Mine has gotten really bad at times (I'm forced to restart because simply touching the trackpad will launch Spaces/Expose repeatedly and do nothing else).

However, it's been much better since the update for mb/mbp keyboards was released. Download that if you haven't and tell us how it goes. :)

grafikat
Dec 22, 2007, 10:24 PM
I can assure you this is not due to resting my hand on the trackpad. I've been using this machine for a year, and the phenomenon has only started since I got it back from apple.

I am wireless, but again, this set up is exactly the same as before the MB went out for service. I have not upgraded to Leopard.

Mydel
Dec 22, 2007, 10:56 PM
I get the same problem when I am not connected to a wireless network and AirPort is turned on.

Yeah me sometimes too. I guess its something with airport. Maybe drivers. It's giving me some problems in Leopard. But also sometimes as far as I remember it happened in Tiger as well. They messed something up with airport drivers. Lets hope they fix it soon

CalBoy
Dec 23, 2007, 03:39 AM
only started since I got it back from apple...I have not upgraded to Leopard.

You don't suppose they dropped/messed up something while they were working on it do you? What did it go in for?

grafikat
Dec 23, 2007, 04:39 PM
You don't suppose they dropped/messed up something while they were working on it do you? What did it go in for?

I had gotten the blue screen of death, and it was diagnosed as a bad hard drive, which they replaced.

CalBoy
Dec 23, 2007, 11:05 PM
I had gotten the blue screen of death, and it was diagnosed as a bad hard drive, which they replaced.

I'm not positive, but (I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong! :p) isn't the HD located near the trackpad? Suppose the tech dropped something heavy while working and messed up the trackpad?

However, that doesn't really account for your BT troubles. :o

Where is MJ? We need his expertise!

Sorry, I'm not being very helpful. :o

Superdrive
Dec 25, 2007, 12:54 AM
I have had a cursor that jumps in small spurts similar to a second finger being set on the trackpad. The jumping happens when I'm holding in a position or even during the two finger scrolling. I've experienced this on two new MacBooks with Leopard.

CalPolyMBP
Dec 25, 2007, 10:52 PM
i seem to have a problem after the latest leopard updates with my mouse cursor becoming jittery after awaking from a long period (3+ hours) of sleep... this is when i'm using my trackpad too...

CalBoy
Dec 25, 2007, 10:55 PM
I have not upgraded to Leopard.

I I've experienced this on two new MacBooks with Leopard.

i seem to have a problem after the latest leopard updates.

This clearly isn't the problem, so my inclination is to assume that it is a hardware problem, not a software problem.

Kilamite
Dec 26, 2007, 07:01 AM
I had this problem (related to AirPort not being connected to WiFi) on Tiger, so it isn't Leopard related.

Consultant
Dec 26, 2007, 10:22 AM
Happens with 10.4.10.

Have not been using 10.4.11 long enough.

This with a wired mouse. I thought the mouse was dying, but read enough of these posting to know it's not a mouse issue.

We should all submit issue to http://www.apple.com/feedback

This may sound dumb, but are you sure you aren't resting your finger on the trackpad? I hate trackpad, but when I have to use it, I frequently accidentically put something on the pad and see the mouse jump.

The Apple trackpad are designed to ignore accidental inputs such as having the palm rest on / brushing against it. (That's why PC track pads are usually very small).

colinire
Jan 1, 2009, 03:28 AM
Hi,

I am using a new iMac 24" 3.06GHz, OSX 10.5.6 and am having exactly the same problem with my cursor jumping around. It's a wired mouse and obviously not being a laptop I don't have a pad to consider as part of the problem. It happens quite unpredicably but when it does I have to move the mouse around a lot to relocate the cursor and I am now suspicious that it actually disappears off the screen completely for a few seconds.

I have reported this bug to Apple.

Any more ideas?

MBPDiva
Jan 1, 2009, 01:14 PM
Strange problem since I got my MB back from the apple store (got a new hd). Now, every so often, the cursor will jump to a different part of the screen, often when I'm typing.

Sounds like a trojan. Maybe someone has hacked into your system and is operating the mouse from a remote location. Try cleaning your MB with a good anti-spyware app. I found a few trojans on my Macbook Pro. Nasty stuff. :cool:

Osprey
Jan 1, 2009, 02:50 PM
This may not be the same problem, but I thought it might help someone out. When typing on my husband's MBP that runs Leopard, I would have fits because the cursor would skip all around. I did what this said to do and it cleared up. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2302

Circle-5
Jan 30, 2009, 12:59 AM
Had the same problem for the past 6 months on my 24" iMac running 10.5. Tried two different wired mice and a wireless -- problem continues. iMac is about a year old and the problem started randomly, not after a Mac OS software upgrade. I can't imagine a virus doing this -- I think it's a hardware failure. The cursor jumps every few minutes without warning, which really cuts productivity when working on graphics. I tried hitting my head against the wall, but that just added several more cursors with the same problem. I don't know what else to do.

runplaysleeprun
Jan 30, 2009, 01:01 AM
Sounds like a trojan. Maybe someone has hacked into your system and is operating the mouse from a remote location. Try cleaning your MB with a good anti-spyware app. I found a few trojans on my Macbook Pro. Nasty stuff. :cool:

wait... what?

mcpryon2
Jan 30, 2009, 01:10 AM
I had this problem on my iMac from the first day I got it. This was my nasty refurb iMac, which is another story altogether. Basically, the wired mouse would jump from wherever I was using the pointer all the way to the bottom of the screen. This happened every 5 or 10 minutes, so it made the mouse pretty much unusable.

I purchased a wireless mighty mouse and never saw the problem again. I'm not sure if it was because the wired was optical and didn't like the surface or not. The wireless is laser and I could use it on my pants; I would actually lean back and use it on my leg just fine. So, I would guess it was the mouse itself.

It sounds like a hardware issue. I'd suggest turning down the scrolling sensitivity, if it's too sensitive it will register the rolling of your finger as a continued motion, resulting in a jump to where it thinks it should be. That's where I'd start troubleshooting.

peapod8
Feb 17, 2009, 01:33 PM
I tried hitting my head against the wall, but that just added several more cursors with the same problem. I don't know what else to do.

Hi: I am currently suffering from this problem and I would like to clear things up about it... This phenomenon happens regardless of anything else -- movement of the mouse, settings in the computer's preferences, whether I'm at the computer or not!

I feel very sure it's a virus. Someone (or something -- a bot of some sort) is trying to take control remotely of my cursor. Whoever suggested that is right-on...

Oh, in my case, not only does the cursor-point suddenly leave the window you're working (jumping to the desktop), whether that's something online or within a program.

Also, when you're selected inside of a folder window, all your folder windows close down completely right on their own.

This is a virus or a hacker in my machine. Very worrisome. :eek:

Can anyone suggest virus software? It think it's time for me

I'll take any suggestion --- I don't want to start hitting my head against the wall ... like some people...

wtttx
Mar 20, 2009, 12:08 AM
had the same problem pop up "for no reason" on my imac ... then I got to thinking, what have I added lately ... OnyX! I removed OnyX and I no longer have a cursor skip. Maybe that was it. Maybe not. But so far, no skips or jumping.

jacval60
Apr 25, 2009, 06:09 PM
My curser is jumping around on my macbook pro and I tried trouble shooting but when I open the Mouse control I do not have anything about tracking on there they say to check the box that says about tracking but it is not on my laptop. Now because I have a desktop also and my laptop I only bought 2 months ago and barely registered it today when I go to phone tech support they say I have to pay but they do not have my laptop on there just the desktop I bought in December. They will not give me the phone number I know once I talk to them I can tell them my laptop is not 3 months old. This is dumb even HP lets you talk to them without paying $349.99 for a year. They just charge you to get it fixed. Your help would be appreciated.

melbrant
Jun 3, 2009, 02:50 PM
I have a 20" Intel Mac running the latest OS. I am experiencing a jumping cursor in all text editing applications. I have changed from wireless key board and mouse with no change. Apple Care has not solved the problem.

jacval60
Jun 4, 2009, 01:52 AM
I have a 20" Intel Mac running the latest OS. I am experiencing a jumping cursor in all text editing applications. I have changed from wireless key board and mouse with no change. Apple Care has not solved the problem.

Check this out I hope this helps. The same thing happened to me and I found the answer but I can not remember where. It was some where on apple support. Did you go to system preference and to mouse and keyboard and accidently move some things? Go to application you know the two colored smiley face on the bottom of your desktop it is half blue and half light blue, it should be on your bottom left hand corner right next to the stamp click on that and then go to applications then look for system preferences click on that then click on keyboard and mouse then click on mouse and write down how everything is then try different things with it and if that does not work change it back But go to apple support and type in the apple support mouse curser keeps jumping around and see if you get a answer for it. I found it there it is some where. I think I might have it on my laptop it is in the other room I will check tomorrow and get back to you. Another thing you can do is type in google search engine iMac mouse curser keeps jumping and check all the answers and eventually you will find it. I just checked and there are a lot of people that have the same problem. When I typed it in google. If you are new to iMacs you should either get iMacs for dummies or Imac pro laptop for dummies which ever one you have. Like did you know that you are suppose to check your permissions once a week? I bought checkit2 for iMacs it is a system performance suite to keep your MAC healthy it cost $100.00 but it is well worth it it will check permissions for you and it has spring cleaning which it will get rid of empty folders and double folders it will check everything on your iMac to make sure it is in good condition(TechTool Platinum).

https://macosx.com/tech-support/mac/cursor-jumping-around/15482.html

AaronX
Oct 22, 2009, 06:27 PM
I get this problem sometimes, but not very serious. I just searched for it because I was curious. I'm using a mid 2009 MBP touchpad.

Seeing how both touchpads and mice get it, it looks like a software problem. Maybe some conflict.
On my Windows laptop, sometimes the touchpad would become unresponsive. I think this is due to accumulated static. I swipe the whole touchpad with a finger (like wiping dust off it) and that helps.

Perrumpo
Oct 22, 2009, 06:35 PM
I get this problem sometimes, but not very serious. I just searched for it because I was curious. I'm using a mid 2009 MBP touchpad.

Seeing how both touchpads and mice get it, it looks like a software problem. Maybe some conflict.
On my Windows laptop, sometimes the touchpad would become unresponsive. I think this is due to accumulated static. I swipe the whole touchpad with a finger (like wiping dust off it) and that helps.

My old MBP was having this problem once. For a good while, actually. It would also take several seconds for the display to turn on after waking up. I finally took it in one day, and they didn't know what was wrong. As soon as I was about to leave, the Genius decided to try one more thing: resetting the display. Amazingly, it worked like a charm for both issues.

AaronX
Oct 22, 2009, 06:58 PM
How do you reset the display?

Perrumpo
Oct 22, 2009, 08:25 PM

You know, I'm not sure if he just reset the PRAM or what. I had never heard of resetting the display before, and I usually try resetting the PRAM as part of my own troubleshooting. It was like a year ago, so I can't remember if I had tried it myself or not. Maybe someone on here knows!

smn568
Nov 25, 2009, 01:59 AM
Hey guys!

How I resolved the jumping cursor issue is quite different from all the other suggestions I read here so I thought I'd let you know in my case it was caused by a faulty battery.

After weeks of using my MackBook without any trouble, my cursor suddenly started acting strange. Typing would become increasingly difficult during user sessions, with text being selected, replaced and deleted at random. It would also take increasingly long for text to appear on the screen after having typed it.

After consulting a Mac service desk, it turned out my battery (which had already stopped functioning a good while back) was slightly deformed, sort of bulging upward. Since it sits directly underneath the trackpad it therefore started to physically interfere with the trackpad and possibly the entire keyboard (since it is one big unit) from down below.

Resolution: replace the battery or just leave it out for the time being!

Hope this helps!

CDevauld
Dec 1, 2009, 10:18 AM
I have been having the same issues on my MacBook... cursor seems to have a mind of it's own. Jumps around while typing, highlights, deletes, selects things without my fingers anywhere near the trackpad. Very frustrating!!
After searching many forums and looking it up, I may have an answer for some.
Btw- for me it had nothing to do with my mouse, or accidentally touching the trackpad. Also reset PRAM a few times. And trackpad was clean.

TRY THIS:
In System Preferences, under Trackpad, not only selected "Ignore accidental trackpad input", ALSO selected "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present".

It has worked for me for 5 days now, when this issue occured daily.

This leads me to believe there is a definite issue with the trackpad. Just read the previous post about the battery which certainly could be the issue here.

Hope this relieves some of your cursor anguish!

speedracer3000
Dec 11, 2009, 09:49 PM
I am on Snow Leopard and I can't find the "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present" option (?)

I am testing out the theory with the battery by basically taking the whole thing out on my macbook and so far (in the last 30 min or so) it hasn't jumped. It used to jump pretty much every few minutes so I am hoping the battery solves it.

I have been having the same issues on my MacBook... cursor seems to have a mind of it's own. Jumps around while typing, highlights, deletes, selects things without my fingers anywhere near the trackpad. Very frustrating!!
Btw- for me it had nothing to do with my mouse, or accidentally touching the trackpad. Also reset PRAM a few times. And trackpad was clean.

TRY THIS:
In System Preferences, under Trackpad, not only selected "Ignore accidental trackpad input", ALSO selected "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present".

This leads me to believe there is a definite issue with the trackpad. Just read the previous post about the battery which certainly could be the issue here.

Ronnihall
Dec 17, 2009, 05:09 AM
I tried what CDevauld suggested and it seems to have worked. I am totally delighted. Thank you!

TRY THIS:

zups
Jan 9, 2010, 10:28 AM
Just came across the same problem with my MBP. The problem was not a battery issue or a setting in preferences. Turns out that there was an issue with the hardware on either side of the trackpad that when pressure is put on it, as slight as resting my wrists on the computer it would cause the cursor to jump around. I am getting this fixed this week, but if you are still having this problem on your MBPs try typing and pressing around on a few spots. On mine it seems to happen most often at the top/left of the track pad. Hope this helps.

Kilamite
Jan 9, 2010, 10:38 AM

Well, putting the display to sleep then turning it on again is probably what he means, which is done via this command:

CTRL+SHIFT+EJECT

Back on Leopard, my display would go funny after I woke it, so resetting the display in this sense sorted it out.

macsnjets
Jan 22, 2010, 02:29 PM
Just came across the same problem with my MBP. The problem was not a battery issue or a setting in preferences. Turns out that there was an issue with the hardware on either side of the trackpad that when pressure is put on it, as slight as resting my wrists on the computer it would cause the cursor to jump around. I am getting this fixed this week, but if you are still having this problem on your MBPs try typing and pressing around on a few spots. On mine it seems to happen most often at the top/left of the track pad. Hope this helps.

I have the same problem with my 1.83 MBP. putting pressure just to the left of the trackpad acts as a mouse click and causes the cursor to jump. Is it safe to say you're under warranty cuz I know I'm way beyond that point ? What was the fix ?
Thanks

Kimberly S.
Jan 26, 2010, 11:22 AM
Ok, I was having a problem with my cursor doing funky things, such as: highlighting words, erasing what I just typed, moving all over the place etc. I never touched the touchpad but my wrists would be laying on either side of touchpad and with that little pressure was cause the cursor to jump all over the place.

I have a MBP running OS X 10.6.2

I called Apple Support, thinking I would have to bring it in, and use my Apple Care for the first time. But I was wrong! :)

These are the instructions he gave me and my computer is working like a dream!!

Ok first thing shut down your computer from the apple icon.

Once it's off remove the power cord and turn over the computer and remove the battery.

Turn the computer over again and hold down the power button for 10 sec. (yes do this without the battery and the power cord attached)

Now attach the power cord.

Here comes the tricky part: As soon as you turn on the computer make sure
you hold down these 4 keys all at the same time. COMMAND, OPTION, P, R

And wait for the first chime, continue to hold and wait for the second chime and then release.

So far it's working for me. I am a very fast typist and I can't believe I have suffered for the past 2 weeks with this and it was this easy to fix. Apparently it resets something.

I hope this helps all of you. Please feel free to post if this has helped.

Best of luck!
Kimberly S

Kimberly S.
Jan 26, 2010, 11:27 AM
Ok, I was having a problem with my cursor doing funky things, such as: highlighting words, erasing what I just typed, moving all over the place etc. I never touched the touchpad but my wrists would be laying on either side of touchpad and with that little pressure was cause the cursor to jump all over the place.

I called Apple Support, thinking I would have to bring it in, and use my Apple Care for the first time. But I was wrong! :)

Once it's off remove the power cord and turn over the computer and remove the battery.

Turn the computer over again and hold down the power button for 10 sec. (yes do this without the battery and the power cord attached)

Now reinstall the battery and attach the power cord. DO NOT TURN ON YET!

And wait for the first chime, continue to hold and wait for the second chime and then release.

So far it's working for me. I am a very fast typist and I can't believe I have suffered for the past 2 weeks with this and it was this easy to fix. Apparently it resets something.

Best of luck!
Kimberly S

Anne Sobotta
Jan 26, 2010, 07:49 PM
I feel very sure it's a virus. Someone (or something -- a bot of some sort) is trying to take control remotely of my cursor. Whoever suggested that is right-on...

This has been happening on my macbook too.

First time it happened was a month ago, when I was typing an email in Thunderbird. Very strange, could hardly have control of the cursor.
About 24 hours later I received a security warning from Facebook telling me that "We have detected suspicious activity on your Facebook account and have temporarily suspended your account as a security precaution. It is possible that malicious software was downloaded to your computer or that your password was stolen by a phishing website designed to look like Facebook.".

Hummm... Could that be related?

The cursor still jumps from time to time, mostly when I am using Thunderbird, and today for the first time in Firefox.

Anyone experienced this?
Could this be a virus (I runned ClamXav and no virus was found) or a trajan????
What can be done?

Tks

Anne Sobotta
Jan 26, 2010, 08:01 PM
PS: I just did a test - turning airport off and it happened all the same.

I'm using a wireless connection all the time but it's encrypted for my computer only, it's not a password-based one. However when it happened for the first time I wasn't on a wireless connection, regular cable, and I was in another country. I don't know if this makes any difference...

So, virus or trajan, or not????
weird...

Anne Sobotta
Jan 26, 2010, 08:13 PM
Hey Kimberly,

it seems we were typing at the same time. I'll try what you suggest..; Fingers crossed!!

Kimberly S.
Jan 27, 2010, 11:43 AM
Hey Kimberly,

it seems we were typing at the same time. I'll try what you suggest..; Fingers crossed!!

Anne did it work for you? If you truly believe you have a virus, I would google Mac virus etc. I am sure there is a program that would be to help you locate it. Keep me posted.

Good luck.

Anne Sobotta
Jan 28, 2010, 10:39 AM
Well, I did it all!
Run MacScan, no virus found.
Asked the Facebook support team.... they gave me a totally fishy answer

Then did what Kimberly explained, all seems to be fine. But most importantly now that I removed the battery I can see that the trackpad and its clickable area (don't know what it is called!) works much better. So I think it was a hardware problem, with the battery sort of pressing the trackpad up.

Kimberly S.
Jan 28, 2010, 01:51 PM
Well, I did it all!
Run MacScan, no virus found.
Asked the Facebook support team.... they gave me a totally fishy answer

Then did what Kimberly explained, all seems to be fine. But most importantly now that I removed the battery I can see that the trackpad and its clickable area (don't know what it is called!) works much better. So I think it was a hardware problem, with the battery sort of pressing the trackpad up.

So it worked? Yay!!! I'm so happy that it got fixed!

Thank you for keeping me posted. I love when I can help someone. I always believe in paying it forward.

luther jackson
Feb 18, 2010, 11:16 AM
I have a MacBook Pro that is about 8 months old. I loaded Snow Leopard OS (now with version 10.6.2) about 30 days prior. I had the "dreaded jumping cursor" problem. I worked with an "Apple Expert" via phone and seemed to have fixed the problem. In essence, he talked me through some resets of the system that corrected the problem. It involves some complex moves, so I would advise you go through them in case there are unforeseen issues that arise while doing this. But IT IS WORKING (so far). I was paralyzed without this solution.:)

longtall
May 4, 2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks Kimberly, although your solution doesn't seem well commented-on here, its the one that finally worked for me. It bugged me a great deal to have the cursor jump around the page whilst typing.... and it was not always obvious where it put the misplaced text either.
As soon as you turn on the computer make sure you hold down these 4 keys all at the same time. COMMAND, OPTION, P, R
Following Kimberly's instructions above, I waited for the second chime and released the keys at that point. I was then greeted with a folder icon containing a question mark center screen. Waiting the longest time without touching any keys, I eventually couldn't stand it any more and rebooted. When I tried again I released them after the first chime. Success!
Apparently it resets something.
Yep, it resets the NVRAM (Non Volatile RAM) and it works!
Since trying this out I've not had one nervous cursor jump or twitch.. happy chappie.
BTW I also removed the battery (and left it out as I mostly run it on mains power).. so that may or may not have contributed to the success of removing the jumping cursor problem.
2009 MacBook Pro running OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)

longtall
May 8, 2010, 08:40 AM
Footnote to above post. Second start didn't work without the battery, so I had to put it back in. Works fine, cursor still behaving so far.

riscy
Jun 9, 2010, 10:21 AM
Ok, I have had this problem recently on my MB and did some reading up. I agree with others it is the battery, I took mine out and it is very distorted - bulging top and bottom, now I am on the hunt for a replacement. I had some thoughts about why the cursor was moving randomly, in my case the top of the battery is swollen (as it the bottom - white outer part) and I think that the inner part is pushing on the underside of the touchpad, and the outer part is making it unstable, depending on what surface you have it on. So any movement will move the cursor as the Mac thinks the touchpad was touched. I was typing in OpenOffice today and teh cursor kept jumping up and down lines. Also, about the randomness of the problem, I think that heat may be an issue - at present I can use mine for a few hours then the touchpad starts acting up, because the battery has heated up and expanded slightly, I assume. I am just posting these thoughts so that others who have this problem will think to have a look at their battery, as I did, then just replace that at a much lower cost than the palmrest.

macqwerty
Jun 26, 2010, 11:26 AM
Hey guys!

How I resolved the jumping cursor issue is quite different from all the other suggestions I read here so I thought I'd let you know in my case it was caused by a faulty battery.

After weeks of using my MackBook without any trouble, my cursor suddenly started acting strange. Typing would become increasingly difficult during user sessions, with text being selected, replaced and deleted at random. It would also take increasingly long for text to appear on the screen after having typed it.

After consulting a Mac service desk, it turned out my battery (which had already stopped functioning a good while back) was slightly deformed, sort of bulging upward. Since it sits directly underneath the trackpad it therefore started to physically interfere with the trackpad and possibly the entire keyboard (since it is one big unit) from down below.

Resolution: replace the battery or just leave it out for the time being!

Hope this helps!

This was exactly the problem for me. Thanks for the help!

minh.tran71
Jul 19, 2010, 12:22 PM
I'm running a mbp with latest leopard, which had been working like a dream for the year since I bought it, then it went crazy on me two days ago in the midst of work. Cursor flew all over the place, opening files, throwing things in the trash, etc. I was sure it was a virus or something of that sort. Ran several anti-virus programs, but nothing. Then, after reading this forum and remembering someone mentioning about power (sorry, can't remember who..but BLESS YOU!!!), I decided to dim my keyboard key lights down to zero. Immediately, everything went back to normal! Amazing! Of course, the root of the problem is not yet solved...I'd like to light up my keys every once in a while, right? But at least, I can get on with work until I can get the mbp back to speed. Hope this might help a few of you out there.

MDMac
Jul 19, 2010, 12:38 PM
This used to happen to me when using my white macbook c2d. The battery was exceptionally swollen and it was affecting the functionality of the trackpad/button. I would be typing and the cursor would move to a different location at random. The mouse button would register whenever it felt like.

Needless to say the problems ceased to exist once I replaced my overweight battery :p

Good luck!

beachnbum
Jul 24, 2010, 04:10 PM

Now reinstall the battery and attach the power cord. DO NOT TURN ON YET!

Best of luck!
Kimberly S

This random cursor jumping and odd behavior just started this morning, (MacBook, [Santa Rosa] late 2007 running Snow Leopard/4 Gig RAM) but I've noticed the battery is bulging for a few months now. I applied your instructions to the letter, and now, at least a few minutes of typing into GMail to my niece with whom I stay in touch, and having the cursor problem all day, and giving her my troubleshooting ideas as I mailed her (none worked; I thought it was a WiFi router hack etc.:confused: About a dozen restarts. WiFi on/WiFi off. Tried in Pages (same problem) and other typing programs. Same issue. Used Camino and GMail. Same problem as in Safari. Yahoo mail, both browsers, same issue.:eek::eek:

Finally googled the issue and this thread is about the third stop. So far, works like a charm. (Crossing fingers). Of course, after reseating the battery, it bulges even more. Eventually I may have the resources (capital) to replace it. Until then, THANKS FOR SOLVING!

JP

wyre
Aug 2, 2010, 04:11 PM
You guys shouldn't be using these batteries... they are dangerous. If they've swollen enough to affect the trackpad functionality they're pretty far gone. I'm not being an alarmist -- it's not safe to use a bulging battery ... take it out of the computer ASAP . You can run the computer with the power cord. Take the battery back to the store.

norman21
Aug 10, 2010, 03:55 PM

For me, turning off wireless cured the problem (so far - 1 hour and counting). Not sure what I would do if I needed the wireless - fortunately I have ethernet too.

MacLemon
Aug 25, 2010, 07:31 PM
I had the annoying as hell, just shoot me problem with my cursor too. It jumps all over the sentence, paragraph, deletes stuff, back spaces...I SCREAM at it and bang my head on my desk. I reset PRAM, change preferences, did disk utility, reloaded software - all that. Then I got a replacement install CD that was white, not gray. The problem went away IMMEDIATELY on install. NEVER a problem. Then the hard drive crashed, had to install my FOURTH hard drive in four years...and couldn't find the disks! So I used the old install disks - the grey ones....and the cursor problem is BACK with a vengeance. So, my guess is if you reinstall your OS with the WHITE disks - not the gray crapola that came with it - your problem will stop. The mac store probably used one of these crappy cursor disks when they mucked around with your mac. If it works, let me know. Then send me a copy of the install disk that works.

It took ten minutes of retyping and messing with the freaking cursor to type this!

orlando2483
Aug 26, 2010, 08:30 AM
This same problem appeared on my iMac around 6 months after I purchased it at the Apple Store. I dealt with it for so many months and became very very frustrated :mad: because Apple Care people and genius bar could not give me an answer. They replaced almost all the guts inside like twice.

My third visit they decided to replace the board and power supply again- 8 days later I got a call from the genius bar saying that they would replace my machine for a new one. They gave no explanation why they were doing so, but I did not wasted a fraction of a second saying YES!.

They were very nice when I came to the store because they issued me a credit for my iMac ($1500) and I was apple to buy a 15" MacBook Pro with Anti-glare and i7 (paying the difference of course). I also got a free printer and i-Pod Touch since I am a student. :D

:apple:No more crazy mouse. I bought like 3 mice in total-with no solution.

BStyle105
Sep 14, 2010, 11:03 PM
I have a MacBook Pro that is about 8 months old. I loaded Snow Leopard OS (now with version 10.6.2) about 30 days prior. I had the "dreaded jumping cursor" problem. I worked with an "Apple Expert" via phone and seemed to have fixed the problem. In essence, he talked me through some resets of the system that corrected the problem. It involves some complex moves, so I would advise you go through them in case there are unforeseen issues that arise while doing this. But IT IS WORKING (so far). I was paralyzed without this solution.:)

So I had the incredibly annoying jumping cursor problem too. I though it may be a an issue with Word but after resetting the PRAM the problem seems to have gone away, at least for now. I am using a Macbook which is about four years old so the battery bulge issue could be there but for the time being resetting the PRAM seems to have done the trick.

delphi
Mar 1, 2011, 03:02 PM
I have had this very same, very nasty problem of the cursor jumping while typing on my MacBook off and on since I bought it. Today I took the battery out and plugged it in to work on... and NO... absolutely NO problem! It's been driving me batty ever since I got this about 3 years ago. I tried resetting the PRAM several times and the settings in Sys Pref... and it still had a life of its own. FINALLY I am in control!

The battery does not appear to be warped, but it must be hitting under the keypad somehow:). I don't know if I should invest in a new one... or just plan on plugging in and taking it out. The greatest benefit is that its SO much lighter. I should probably get something to keep the empty space clean. Suggestions?

spirochete
Apr 20, 2011, 10:20 AM
Just a note to encourage any Macbook Pro 15" or 17" (pre- Unibody models) users experiencing odd trackpad problems to remove the battery and take a good careful look at it.........

Hold it level and edgeways on to see whether there is any bulging evident on the top or bottom surfaces.... (put a straight edge across it?). LOTS of these machines had battery problems ( and some are still out there), where the battery begins bulging - which, if on the inner surface, can start to put pressure on the back side of the trackpad causing all manner of strange behaviour. In bad examples the trackpad becomes virtually 'unclickable'.

Run the machine without the battery ( ie on the power adapter), to see if the problem is resolved.

If yours does show signs of bulging - get rid of it PDQ for a new one.

Worth the check.....

:)

JH

onthecouchagain
Apr 20, 2011, 10:41 AM
I have the opposite problem... sometimes my trackpad won't be responsive for a few seconds. The cursor doesn't move despite me using the trackpad. After a moment, it goes back to normal. Seems to happen randomly.

adrian1480
Apr 20, 2011, 11:04 AM
had the same problem pop up "for no reason" on my imac ... then I got to thinking, what have I added lately ... OnyX! I removed OnyX and I no longer have a cursor skip. Maybe that was it. Maybe not. But so far, no skips or jumping.

wait, what? Onyx doesn't run in the background. It's not on unless you turn it on. It's is not only unlikely, but impossible for Onyx to be the culprit.

unless you're talking about a different onyx than the maintenance utility.

ack7121
Apr 28, 2011, 03:19 PM

Wow, that's amazing. The same problem has been driving me to distraction on my Macbook with Snow Leopard, and I found that just pressing on the casing on either side of the trackpad caused a whole line of the preceding message to be selected! If this is an age-related hardware problem I am not sure it would be worth getting fixed. An alternative might be just to use an external keyboard, to avoid any possibility of leaning on the case while typing.
By the way I couldn't find the "Ignore trackpad when mouse is in use" option on the Snow Leopard trackpad system prefs.

roboknight
May 11, 2011, 05:36 AM
Hello all,

I thought I would post this here since it is somewhat related, but so far, can't seem to find anyone with a similar problem (or at least no one else has piped up). I have a MBP 2.2 Ghz with an i7. Should be the latest model as of early 2011 (Got it this year). When the system goes to sleep, the mouse cursor ends up in the upper left. When I return, Dashboard is always showing and the cursor, as I have said, is in the upper left. I haven't had this problem on any other MB or MBP I have used. Since I don't use Dashboard, this is particularly annoying, but the main concern is that this might be degenerative. I've been seeing this happen sometimes now as the MBP goes to sleep if I'm near the MBP and before it seemed that it was sometime after it had gone to sleep. I saw the post here and was wondering if anyone else had seen the same, or better yet, if anyone has fixed a similar issue. So far, looks like I'm an outlier.

I know I can fix the Dashboard issue by either removing Dashboard from the hot-corner or moving it to another corner, but the mouse cursor still drifts after the system goes to sleep. It can't be an accidental trackpad touch, so I'm wondering what it could be. I know it doesn't make a difference if the system is grounded or not (If used the brick plug as well as the 3 pronged extension cord, I've seen references to that maybe being an issue). So I'm not sure what is happening on sleep that would cause the thing to drift like that.

shark7llc
Jun 20, 2011, 06:42 PM
First off, thank you all for your collective posts, this helped me resolve the issue.

Symptoms: I found that my Macbook mouse would move around erratically sometimes when I was typing some text in, and I was definitely *not* touching the trackpad. I also found that the button was not as "clickable" as it sometimes is.

Problem: I noticed a correlation between when I moved the Macbook around and also when it is really hot. I found that the battery on the back of the Macbook is right up next to the back of the trackpad. I suspected that the heat from the battery was causing some weird behavior.

Solution: Turn off the computer and take the battery out. Then I put painters tape (the blue stuff, you can use masking tape if you want) on the area over the back of the trackpad. Make sure you don't put it over the two square sides of the button, cause then the button won't click. It's no big deal if you do, since you will realize the problem and cut the tape accordingly. Now the key is take some aluminum foil and fold it in half and place it over the tape. You can now put the battery back on, and power it back on and the problem should be gone!

Why it worked: The heat from the battery caused faulty operation of the circuitry on the back of the trackpad. The tape was put there so there is a layer between the aluminium foil and the trackpad. Basically aluminum foil is poor conductor of heat but it does conduct electricity, so you need a layer there to make sure you don't create a short circuit.

Other solutions that did *not* work: Cleaning the trackpad, clicking on "Ignore accidental... " on Settings->Trackpad, updating OS.

Happy Clicking!

shark7llc
Jul 21, 2011, 02:35 AM
First off, thank you all for your collective posts, this helped me resolve the issue.

Symptoms: I found that my Macbook mouse would move around erratically sometimes when I was typing some text in, and I was definitely *not* touching the trackpad. I also found that the button was not as "clickable" as it sometimes is.

Problem: I noticed a correlation between when I moved the Macbook around and also when it is really hot. I found that the battery on the back of the Macbook is right up next to the back of the trackpad. I suspected that the heat from the battery was causing some weird behavior.

Solution: Turn off the computer and take the battery out. Then I put painters tape (the blue stuff, you can use masking tape if you want) on the area over the back of the trackpad. Make sure you don't put it over the two square sides of the button, cause then the button won't click. It's no big deal if you do, since you will realize the problem and cut the tape accordingly. Now the key is take some aluminum foil and fold it in half and place it over the tape. You can now put the battery back on, and power it back on and the problem should be gone!

Why it worked: The heat from the battery caused faulty operation of the circuitry on the back of the trackpad. The tape was put there so there is a layer between the aluminium foil and the trackpad. Basically aluminum foil is poor conductor of heat but it does conduct electricity, so you need a layer there to make sure you don't create a short circuit.

Other solutions that did *not* work: Cleaning the trackpad, clicking on "Ignore accidental... " on Settings->Trackpad, updating OS.

Happy Clicking!

Ok, so the problem is back. This again appears to happen in high heat situations. I will have to try another fix to cool the battery down or maybe a better insulation for the trackpad. If someone finds a solution to this please let me know.

porraboy
Jul 21, 2011, 04:05 AM
Ok, so the problem is back. This again appears to happen in high heat situations. I will have to try another fix to cool the battery down or maybe a better insulation for the trackpad. If someone finds a solution to this please let me know.

Yep... VERY annoying... especially when you're doing high precision mouse stuff. *painful*

Mermaid2
Sep 7, 2011, 06:46 AM
Same problem! Cursor jumps all over the place??? Is it a programing problem or a hardware problem???

delphi
Sep 8, 2011, 05:55 AM
The battery was definitely the problem... For me. Take it out and plug in the power cord and try it. It works! I ordered a replacement battery on eBay and have not had ANY more problems... I wish I had replaced it a long time ago to miss all the aggravation !

Mermaid2
Sep 8, 2011, 07:47 AM
I could not figure out why it was intermittent, then yesterday I noticed it only happened when I rested my hands next to the mouse pad to type. If I keep my palms above the the computer when I type the cursor does not skip.

Kind of a pain in the A****. So it seems to be a hardware problem. Does anyone know what THAT is??? And what can be done about it???

Liam Ocean 1
Oct 2, 2011, 09:12 PM
It may be that Voiceover is activated and on silent with no captions showing. There is a function in voiceover that allows the mouse to track what the voiceover is saying. Hence jumping around. So if you've had a problem with voiceover this could be related to it. Secondly there are additional mouse settings that are under "Universal access". You can find that through spotlight as well as Voiceover. These two things combined could be effecting the mouse or either may seperately. I hope this helps. My mouse was jumping from an arrow to a pointer randomly after my 2 year old had banged on my keyboard. I found Voiceover was activated and the mouse was acting strangely. Adjusting these things fixed the problem for me.

jeffk
Aug 23, 2012, 04:24 PM
Dated 8/22/12
Had a problem today with Magic Mouse disconnecting and reconnecting.
Solution 1 - change the batteries (low batteries can cause twitchy and erratic mouse behavior)

Next I used another mouse to access the bluetooth device to get it to reconnect and suddenly I had both Firefox and Safari browsers jumping up and down when trying to browse, this did not allow me to get to the top of the window to access the URL or web address bar. Twitchiness continue to occur within the finder windows when trying to access Mac Utilities to see if Malware had been installed.

Interestingly enough, I thought I had been the victim of some malware hack as this happened to me on a PC previously.

Solution 2
Step 1 - I deinstalled the Magic Mouse as a Device from the Bluetooth preference and device management window.
Step 2 - I turned off the mouse and then turned it on again
Step 3 - I reinstalled the "$&^%*" Magic Mouse and No More problem

So I posted this here and I hope this helps others.

:)

Buzzaki
May 21, 2013, 08:29 AM
I realized that the problem was the trackpad, and that the behavior of the cursor was uncontrolled trackpad manipulation. I did two things, and I fixed it.

1) Go to the trackpad setup in system preferences, and uncheck all of the gestures you don't use (for me, it's about 90% that I didn't even know existed). It takes awhile to get them unchecked, considering that your cursor is dancing all over the place and the windows are expanding and contracting all by themselves.

2) This will sound primitive, but I shut down the computer and pressed my full body weight down on the trackpad in different places, like I was smooching out a pie crust.

Fixed.

The reason your cursor is behaving this way is because the battery underneath the trackpad is dislodged. Try to press it back into place. It worked for me.

leman
May 21, 2013, 09:14 AM
If there is something like an undead thread in this world, then this here must be one ^^