PDA

View Full Version : new 12" PB shows full charge at 99%

QCassidy352
Oct 3, 2003, 07:51 PM
yes, the battery has been calibrated... it did reach 100% before, but now is stuck at 99% and isn't charging to full. The LED ring on the adapter is green (i.e. fully charged).

It's not really a big deal to lose 1% but I don't want the problem to get worse. Plus the PB is brand new.

Which is more likely: that the indicator is just reading wrong, or that the battery is not fully charging? anyone experienced this? thanks.

QCassidy352
Oct 3, 2003, 08:16 PM
uh... now i let it run down to 98%, plugged it back in, and it still says the battery is fully charged. please help!

alxths
Oct 3, 2003, 08:24 PM
I remember someone else posting about having the exact same problem with his pb, not too long ago.. you might want to try a quick search.

yoda13
Oct 3, 2003, 08:39 PM
I had this same problem when I first got my Powerbook, and not long thereafter, the battery failed and wouldn't hold a charge at all. Once I replaced the battery, everything has been alright to this point (knock on wood). Though, sometimes when I unplug it and plug it back in real quick, it gets confused and thinks that 99 or 98 % is a full charge.

Normally, after I put it to sleep and leave it for a while, it is ok again

Daveman Deluxe
Oct 3, 2003, 09:03 PM
I suspect this is just to prevent your battery from bursting into flames. I think the lithium polymer batteries are actually not supposed to start recharging until they've gotten below 96%. This is to prevent overcharging which can lead to the battery catching on fire.

I may be wrong though, and if so, a thousand pardons.

MacManDan
Oct 3, 2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
I suspect this is just to prevent your battery from bursting into flames. I think the lithium polymer batteries are actually not supposed to start recharging until they've gotten below 96%. This is to prevent overcharging which can lead to the battery catching on fire.

I may be wrong though, and if so, a thousand pardons.

Daveman is correct. To keep the battery in the prime of its life, it uses a little bit of charge (down to 95%) and then will charge it back up to 100%. Then it'll use a little bit of charge until it reaches 95% .. and so on. This prevents overcharging, which is a fire hazard, but it also keeps the battery in use (which is good for it for a long life). If your battery does this, it's a good thing!

QCassidy352
Oct 4, 2003, 01:45 PM
thanks so much. Wow, I was really worried there was something wrong with my new baby! :D I feel much better now.