PDA

View Full Version : Help Warranty Question

Wizxon
Dec 23, 2007, 08:35 PM
Ok, so earlier today I took a trip to the Apple Store to ask about my 5th Gen iPod Video who's battery could not hold a charge for more than 3 hours. And they told me I can get it replaced for $70 IF I didn't have it covered by a warranty. (I wasn't sure about the warranty at the moment)

But here is my problem, I bought this iPod video from my semi-acquaintance for $40 (I know cheap, I suspected something immideatly)

So I had decided to think about it, and I wandered onto the site and typed in my serial number and it said the Warranty isn't over until Feb. 2008. So I was like "Oh yeah! I can get it replaced for free!"

I told my mom, but she quickly said that I had no proof of purchase, but I was wondering if they could just pull up the number and see the date of purchased.

BUT, my mom said even if they did that they might see I didn't purchase it and I might get into trouble :eek:

But, I was wondering since I purchased it from my 'friend' and if I try to get it replaced with his warranty will they allow that?

I am really confused now.

apachie2k
Dec 23, 2007, 08:42 PM
Ok, so earlier today I took a trip to the Apple Store to ask about my 5th Gen iPod Video who's battery could not hold a charge for more than 3 hours. And they told me I can get it replaced for $70 IF I didn't have it covered by a warranty. (I wasn't sure about the warranty at the moment)

But here is my problem, I bought this iPod video from my semi-acquaintance for $40 (I know cheap, I suspected something immideatly)

So I had decided to think about it, and I wandered onto the site and typed in my serial number and it said the Warranty isn't over until Feb. 2008. So I was like "Oh yeah! I can get it replaced for free!"

I told my mom, but she quickly said that I had no proof of purchase, but I was wondering if they could just pull up the number and see the date of purchased.

BUT, my mom said even if they did that they might see I didn't purchase it and I might get into trouble :eek:

But, I was wondering since I purchased it from my 'friend' and if I try to get it replaced with his warranty will they allow that?

I am really confused now.

I'm pretty sure you aquired your iPod legally, so that would transfer any apple care that is on it, and they do check your warranty status at "the bar" so you should be alright...:D

Wizxon
Dec 23, 2007, 08:48 PM
But, now that I think about it, what would happen if he DIDN'T purchase it legally?

I remember when I first plugged it in to my PC my 'friends' name didn't come up it was someonelse's...

Now what if that previous person my friend could've stolen it from reported it to apple? Or am I just worrying to much?

dethl
Dec 23, 2007, 11:58 PM
Apple should replace the battery free of charge if the iPod is still covered in the warranty. Just looked at the AppleCare Protection Plan and on Section 1, Part a, subsection (ii):

Under APP for iPod, Apple will, at its option, repair or replace the affected Covered Equipment if, ... (iii) during the Coverage Period, the capacity of the covered iPod battery to hold an electrical charge has depleted fifty (50%) percent or more from its original specification, after being fully charged and the covered iPod playing music with all settings reset.

If 3 hours is the best you can get from your 5g you should be able to get the battery replaced.

Wizxon
Dec 24, 2007, 11:49 AM
Thank you all very much :)

I am now sure they'll replace it for free. Have a nice day, and happy holidays folks!