PDA

View Full Version : powerbook 12" chimes but no video, dead logic board?

Mr. Bubbles
Dec 23, 2007, 08:38 PM
Well, this is my first mac. it's a g4 aluminum 1.5ghz that I just got a couple weeks ago. The person I bought it from said that it didn't display video, and that the apple technicians he took it to said that the problem was with the inverter board. This seemed perfectly likely to me, because it starts up and even chimes, so I figured, no biggy, Iíll just replace the inverter board with the guide from ifixit.

In the mean time, I decided to order a mini-dvi to vga adapter to hook her up to an external monitor. To my dismay, it would not output video to any of my monitors. This leads me to believe that the logic board has failed.

When i turn it on, it chimes and I can hear the superdrive working. There is also a lot of heat coming from under the hard drive, too much heat if it were actually booting osx. And then the fans come...full blast for about 2 mins I think. then they go off and repeat the cycle indefinitely.

It will not turn off again by pressing the power button (I have to manually remove the battery) and it won't eject the disc in the drive. (btw, can the drive be taken apart and the disc removed manually? it is important)

All of this leads me to believe that the logic board has failed, and that replacing the inverter board won't solve any of my problems. I guess the only reason I still have any hope is because it chimes, but I'm afraid I might end up having to part it out on ebay or worse. Please let me know if this is a classic failed logic board, thanks!

jalagl
Dec 23, 2007, 09:03 PM
I had a similar situation with my Powerbook after upgrading to Leopard. It turned out to be a bad RAM module.

So, my suggestion would be to check the RAM. If the Powerbook has two modules, try taking one out, and then the other, and see if it boots.

Or, take it to an authorized repair center - if it really is the logic board, it may get a little expensive.

Mr. Bubbles
Dec 23, 2007, 09:46 PM
It only has one slot, but it does have a third party Samsung module in it. I could try this, but I'd like to know that it would work before I reassemble. It is currently in 1000 pieces :) Please explain in what ways your situation was similar. I REALLY hope that this is simply bad ram instead of a failed logic board!!!

Mr. Bubbles
Dec 24, 2007, 01:38 PM
Just a little extra information...the caps lock and num lock keys light up, I don't know if this indicates successful booting or not though. Anyone out there had/have similar powerbook troubles? PLEASE help!

simonhead666
Jan 7, 2009, 11:06 AM
I have a similar issue.. no external video from the Mini DVI port either.. I though only iBooks had video issues..
My machine goes through all of the motions of booting up.. even sleeps after 2 or so minutes.. just no video..

There is a company that reballs and reflows video chips out of Chicago.. i have 2 900mHz G3 boards coming in this week repaired ($50USD per board).. I'm considering sending this one off to see if it can be repaired..

and Apple just used to supply the customer with a new board.. it's the third option in every repair guide they have to fix laptops... Hmmm

QuarterSwede
Jan 7, 2009, 11:10 AM
I had a similar situation with my Powerbook after upgrading to Leopard. It turned out to be a bad RAM module.

So, my suggestion would be to check the RAM. If the Powerbook has two modules, try taking one out, and then the other, and see if it boots.

Or, take it to an authorized repair center - if it really is the logic board, it may get a little expensive.
I've had bad RAM modules twice that have caused the same problem.