Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2007
California
I am developing a cross platform game using portable libraries and C++. My next computer is most likely going to be a Mac. My current development environment is Visual Studio C++ 2005 Express on XP. Because I've done quite a bit of stuff in the Linux world, I an fairly familiar to the Unix tool chain and very comfortable with the command line.

Which build environment should I use on the Mac? XCode or straight command line? Like I said, I am very comfortable with the command line(vim ftw), but is XCode good enough to be a great alternative to Visual Studio and for C++ programming?

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Probably not. If you're doing Cocoa stuff, Xcode is pretty good (particularly as of 3.0), but it's not particularly impressive as a C++ IDE.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I am developing a cross platform game using portable libraries and C++. My next computer is most likely going to be a Mac. My current development environment is Visual Studio C++ 2005 Express on XP. Because I've done quite a bit of stuff in the Linux world, I an fairly familiar to the Unix tool chain and very comfortable with the command line.

Which build environment should I use on the Mac? XCode or straight command line? Like I said, I am very comfortable with the command line(vim ftw), but is XCode good enough to be a great alternative to Visual Studio and for C++ programming?

All Apple software (that is everything that is shipped by Apple), including the operating system, the iLife applications, the iPhone software, everything is developed using XCode. So if it is good enough for Apple, it should be good enough for you. Personally, I prefer XCode to Visual Studio.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
When you compile in Xcode, it just invokes GCC anyhow, and Xcode's included with the operating system, so it's really a matter of personal preference as to whether you prefer Xcode or another editor that may or may not be able to organize files and invoke the compiler.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.