PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 Alu Power cable explosion?

Albal
Dec 24, 2007, 07:12 AM
Hi,

Was on my PB last night, went to pick the power cable up by the transformer and it emitted a spark, a little bang and then some smoke.

It was very very hot. It was late, and I was slow to react and it remained plugged into the computer after this had happened still charging it as if nothing had happened.

The computer is fine too.

Basically, I'd like to know if anyone has had a similar issue happen to them, and if I should get a new power cord? Or if you think it is okay to carry on using this one.

I haven't plugged it in since last night to see if it works or not, I am worried it will break the lap top.

Thanks for any advice.

duelingdragons
Dec 24, 2007, 01:04 PM
Ya, mine sparked to its death a while ago.

Just get a new one, you'll be fine. The OEM ones are sorta shady.

Albal
Dec 25, 2007, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I just tried to plug it in and see if it worked and nothing. Dead as a Dodo.

Absolutely devastated because it has temporarily bricked my computer!

Saw on the apple store site how many bad comments the power adapter has had. What a load of balls.

heatmiser
Dec 25, 2007, 10:23 AM
Saw on the apple store site how many bad comments the power adapter has had. What a load of balls.

Apple consistently makes some of the worst adapters on the market. If you're in the market for a Macbook/Pro, be sure to read the Magsafe reviews. More than 800 entries on the *same* defect, yet Apple continues to ignore them. Pretty stunning.

Albal
Dec 25, 2007, 12:07 PM
That is bad isn't it.

I was hoping to get a MBP after MWSF, maybe they'll have redesigned the power adapter and computer...

Wonder if it is worth getting a new power adapter for my PB?

I spose it is.