PDA

View Full Version : Proud 17" AlumaBook 1.33 Owner's Thread

pimentoLoaf
Oct 3, 2003, 11:07 PM
Isn't it the niftiest digital thing (http://www.apple.com/powerbook/index17.html) you've every owned? (Other than an iPod, of course.)

Powerbook G5
Oct 4, 2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
Isn't it the niftiest digital thing (http://www.apple.com/powerbook/index17.html) you've every owned? (Other than an iPod, of course.)

I don't have the 17", but I absolutely love my 15" AlBook to death. They are really well made machines for sure and I can't see myself being able to part with this. I literally get excited to do my homework just so I have an excuse to be using it more often.

LimeLite
Oct 4, 2003, 12:13 AM
Can you run Xbench on it and give us the scores? Or can someone point me to the results of an xbench test on one? The newer ones, obviously.

WinterMute
Oct 4, 2003, 07:39 AM
The great thing about the 17 is that it's still a very unusual computer in the marketplace, I had a TiBook when they first arrived, and once the processor speeds started to climb and the superdrive arrived, I felt a bit left behind. My 17 is the original 1Ghz, it's a fabulous machine that still draws attention when unveiled in public and, as you say, its nifty:D

kwajo.com
Oct 4, 2003, 08:33 AM
nifty, nifty, nifty! my 17-inch is the apple of my eye (pardon that last line). I love the looks it gets in public, and the ability to cart it off to the radio station and do mixes on a big screen live on air. it really is the best of both worlds (desktop/laptop). the airport reception is great, and i get good battery life too; sometimes over five hours of typing notes, closer to 3 when doing photoshop or audio. I have dual monitors at home, and I carry it around often. anyone who tells you it is too heavy to carry is a pansy. It weighs less than 7 pounds for pete's sake! a shoulder strap makes me forget it's there. truly a marvelous machine. :cool: :D

johnnyjibbs
Oct 4, 2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I literally get excited to do my homework just so I have an excuse to be using it more often.

Excited to do homework? That could bode well for me when my 12" PB (now shipping) arrives! :)

kwajo.com
Oct 4, 2003, 08:40 AM
oh yeah, i forgot. i just saw this other 17-inch notebook http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-3122_7-30422520.html make syou appreciate the size of the powerbook doesn't it?;)

WinterMute
Oct 4, 2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by kwajo.com
oh yeah, i forgot. i just saw this other 17-inch notebook http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-3122_7-30422520.html make syou appreciate the size of the powerbook doesn't it?;)

God, what a hound, I guess you could screw trucks to it and use it for a skateboard:D

I don't even notice the extra weight now, and TiBooks feel flimsy in comparison.

Gus
Oct 4, 2003, 10:59 AM
Did you read the user reviews? All of them complained about weight (9.9 lbs.!), but my favorite from the "Pros" list was this:
"_Screen = nice and big temperature = nice and cool- 3 fans and plenty of cooling fins"

3 fans! My Lord. Also, it only gets 1 hr. 35 min. of battery life with energy saver options. My goodness, how could anyone think that was a good PORTABLE machine? Of course, portability is where it's at for me. That's why I bought the 12"er.

Poor Wintel people. :)

Regards,
Gus

Powerbook G5
Oct 4, 2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Gus
Did you read the user reviews? All of them complained about weight (9.9 lbs.!), but my favorite from the "Pros" list was this:
"_Screen = nice and big temperature = nice and cool- 3 fans and plenty of cooling fins"

3 fans! My Lord. Also, it only gets 1 hr. 35 min. of battery life with energy saver options. My goodness, how could anyone think that was a good PORTABLE machine? Of course, portability is where it's at for me. That's why I bought the 12"er.

Poor Wintel people. :)

Regards,
Gus

Heh, my friend saw my PowerBook and insisted it was huge compared to his Celeron...I told him to bring it over and it was twice as thick (2.1") he said mine was heavy but it is at least 2 lbs. lighter as well. I swear, he is smoking something. He tried telling me he had a DVD burner, too, even though it isn't even a CD-R drive. I swear, some PC users seem to try to believe so hard that they have better computers than they really do that they sometimes believe themselves.

pimentoLoaf
Oct 4, 2003, 11:25 AM
In my case, I upgraded from a 15" Toshiba bought six months ago. WinXP is a bug-laden crash-oriented mess, and I had problems with it straight from the box.

Odd was that Tosh pulled the design (Satellite 2430) only a few months after release. So there must have been numerous users with problems.

(To be fair, though, an earlier Tosh, a Satellite 4080xCDT lasted a full four years before retirement earlier this year. It was built like a tank and gave great service. Dunno why quality-control nosedived since...)

FlamDrag
Oct 4, 2003, 12:14 PM
I too own an original 17" PB - it's GREAT - and worth the insane wait that came along with it. Much like the Dual G5 owners are sitting through right now.

I LOVE this machine and wouldn't trade it for any other portable around.

However, I will never refer to it as an Alumabook. :)

pimentoLoaf
Oct 5, 2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by FlamDrag
However, I will never refer to it as an Alumabook. :)

Why?

S.Snake
Oct 5, 2003, 10:25 PM
I'm on the 1 ghz, but still the coolest machine I've ever gotten my hands on! All the other laptops I see these days seem so puny, I'm hooked on the widescreen now

robotrenegade
Oct 5, 2003, 11:38 PM
17 PB is the best laptop i have ever owned.:D :D

pimentoLoaf
Oct 17, 2003, 03:40 PM
If you need a nice bag, then this one from Tamrac (http://www.tamrac.com/469.htm) will fit nicely.

What are the rest of you using?

beerguy
Oct 17, 2003, 04:47 PM
When I see that Toshiba and the 17" from Dell m60, all I can think of is:

http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/kaypro/kaypro.jpg

pimentoLoaf
Oct 17, 2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by beerguy
... image of Kaypro...

:eek: :eek:

I almost bought one of those things. Got an Apple //e instead.

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 17, 2003, 04:54 PM
this was said earlier but i would like to repeat it--- how about a xbench score for that 1.33 powerbook??? just wondering how it compares to a quicksilver with a 1.33. my score was 113.76

VladDracul
Oct 17, 2003, 04:57 PM
I've had mine for three months and I think I'm in love :D

I have a Kesington bag. It's a nice bag, it even has a very cool drawer in the bottom. I'd love to get my hands on the Brenthaven backpack, but I think it is insanely expensive at $180 :mad:

g808
Oct 21, 2003, 05:20 PM
I finally gave into temptation and bought a new BTO 17" PowerBook. I tacked on the Apple Care, Wireless Mouse, and Brenthaven backpack.

Now the waiting game begins. Hopefully I won't have to wait as long the 15" orders. It does say "same day" ship. I'm crossing my (itchy) fingers.

thumper
Oct 25, 2003, 11:37 AM
i just got my 17"pb last week, i love it too, it is sooo freakin SWEET, lite up keyboard is better then i though, it really is handy!

i just wished it had a 128 graphics card like most new PC notebooks :(

thumper
Oct 25, 2003, 11:41 AM
one more thing, THERE WAS NO DEAD PIXELS !!! weee hooo.. i was so scared of that!

and i had NO trouble using this powerbook on the plane, every review i read they say its too big to bring on the plane... which is just stuiped i had a good inch on each side of me and is fit on the tray

Dr_Maybe
Oct 25, 2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by thumper
i just wished it had a 128 graphics card like most new PC notebooks :(

I suppose you mean a 128MB graphics card. Why would you want that? What are you going to use it for? Those 128 MB in stead of 64 MB are only good for bragging. It doesn't have any real world use or effect.

Does anyone of you know of a faster mobile graphics card than the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600?

Schiffi
Oct 25, 2003, 06:45 PM
Hell, my 15 TiBook is still a crowd pleaser. Esp. with dual monitors. I'm glad of all the good al reports. The only beef I have with my Ti is that all the ports are on the back. Oh well, hopefully the purchase of a Bookendz dock will make portability better. I also hate when people say, "Hey nice Laptop..... Oh it's a Mac, I don't like Macs." Very annoying.

Powerbook G5
Oct 25, 2003, 06:48 PM
I hate that, too...they love it like mad until they see the Apple logo and suddenly it is "crappy".

bousozoku
Oct 25, 2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
Why?

Maybe he won't say Alumabook because you can spell the metal Aluminium or Aluminum, but it's not Alumanium or Alumanum. ;)

The machines look sweet but the 1.33 GHz machine I've tried at CompUSA seems so much slower than the 1 GHz.

I can't imagine that 9.9 pounds is that horrible. My Wallstreet was 7.7 and was awful as a computer. Besides, I used to carry a luggable PC with plasma display (IBM PS/2 model 70) and that thing was 28 pounds. :D

VIREBEL661
Oct 25, 2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by beerguy
When I see that Toshiba and the 17" from Dell m60, all I can think of is:

http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/kaypro/kaypro.jpg

EXCELLENT!!! I used one of these in the 80's! Runs on CP/M... For those here that don't know, DOS was a ripoff (and poorly done) clone of CP/M.. DOS was just simply the cheapest OS Bill Gates could buy at the time, and because of it, most people are stuck with a C: drive and a crumby operating system! Weird!

THE PIECE OF TOSHIBA LUNCH TRAY! OMG - it's like a vision of the future circa 1975!

cubist
Oct 25, 2003, 08:42 PM
This is the 17" Alumibook 1.33 gloaters thread, eh?

Well, I'll have you know my 500MHz (snif) powerbook is plenty fast enough for my miniscule, insignificant (snif) computing needs. Yes, I've got plenty of time on my hands to sit around and wait (snif)...

pimentoLoaf
Oct 25, 2003, 10:36 PM
All ports on a 17" are on either side, with nothing in the back.