PDA

View Full Version : Pics of the infamous 15" anomalies

filmmaker2002
Oct 4, 2003, 12:14 AM
Here is a pic of the spots on my screen. I'm getting her replaced this week though. Those of you who are unaware of this problem, be sure to keep an eye on your 15" AlBook display. I didn't notice them until the 3rd day I had mine...and they are getting worse.

Out damn spots (http://homepage.mac.com/filmmaker2002/PhotoAlbum15.html)

stoid
Oct 4, 2003, 12:18 AM
I post a picture of my 15inch Aluminum PowerBook for the thread, but it looks great, and functions even better.

filmmaker2002
Oct 4, 2003, 12:27 AM
Oh, I love my Powerbook...there is nothing better out there. I was playing MOHAA today at the coffee shop across the street from my condo on Wifi, used bluetooth through my phone to check my email and chat with some friends while sitting in Political Science 242, edited a wedding and burned it onto DVD during Journalism/Mass Comm 542, and impressed all my friend with my backlit keyboard. I love this damn thing. I just wish my screen was defected.

G5orbust
Oct 4, 2003, 01:03 AM
hmm... white spots? I wish I could have a higher res picture to look at. have you tried gently massaging the areas in question? This sometimes releases stuck pixels and probably wont hurt to just see if it works. Pick the most remote and/or smallest of the spots and just try it out.

filmmaker2002
Oct 4, 2003, 01:22 AM
Nope, massaging doesn't work. I tried it. It's gotta be a defect in the LCD fabrication or assembly or something. It's almost as if the spots are burining into the screen, hence the brightening over time.

stoid
Oct 4, 2003, 01:26 AM
There has already been a great deal of discussion on the white spot issue. It is a residue of glue used in the manufacturing process. Call Apple and they will send you a new laptop without the spots.

filmmaker2002
Oct 4, 2003, 01:30 AM
I already have a new one with my name on it once it gets to my Apple store. Just posting the pics to show those who don't have a clue what many of us new Powerbook purchasers are talking about.

stoid
Oct 4, 2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by filmmaker2002
I already have a new one with my name on it once it gets to my Apple store. Just posting the pics to show those who don't have a clue what many of us new Powerbook purchasers are talking about.

Sorry, filemaker, I misunderstood, I didn't realize that you were just showcasing the error. Hope the new laptop works out for you.

filmmaker2002
Oct 4, 2003, 01:42 AM
It's cool :cool:

machem
Oct 4, 2003, 02:35 AM
It's cool :cool:

Hey, FM, am I correct in assuming that you still have the defective 15, and you have a replacement coming into an Apple Store, and you are going to do the exchange when it gets there?

If so, how'd you manage that? You had a BTO, correct?

Cheers

filmmaker2002
Oct 4, 2003, 10:26 AM
I originally ordered a BTO. But after hearing about the numerous problems, I decided to just get mine at the Apple Store, and if there were problems, I could get her exchanged without having to give up my Powerbook for 5-7 business days.

machem
Oct 4, 2003, 02:28 PM
I originally ordered a BTO. But after hearing about the numerous problems, I decided to just get mine at the Apple Store, and if there were problems, I could get her exchanged without having to give up my Powerbook for 5-7 business days.

Well, my RMA box is coming Monday or Tuesday. Sucks, but in two weeks it won't matter.

Time to make some redundant backups!

iJon
Oct 4, 2003, 02:46 PM
personally i would be excited to get the special edition polka dot powerbook. but yeah that would get annoying, good to hear apple is taking care of it.

iJon