PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for good headphones for $100 + or -

safetyobc
Dec 24, 2007, 12:18 PM
I am looking for some good headphones to use with my 5G iPod, iPod Touch and my Macbook Pro.

I have $100 to spend but could put $20 or so with it if needed but would like to stay around the $100 mark.

Thanks,

safetyobc

ethernet76
Dec 24, 2007, 12:21 PM
http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-budget/80-150/

SpookTheHamster
Dec 24, 2007, 12:50 PM
First, are you looking for headphones or earphones? Second, what sort of music are you into?

I bought a set of Jays d-Jays to replace my e3cs and they're the best in-ear phones I've listened to (this is compared to Shure e2s, e3cs and e4s, as well as Etymotic er6s). The isolation is great and the sound quality is absolutely amazing for all the genres I've played through them. They're also the most comfortable IEMs I've come across, they're tiny and they come with a good selection of rubber plugs.

For the ultimate sound from them, get a set of Etymotic triple-flanges and you have a set of earphones that can compete with $500 phones.

Don't be fooled by the low price, they're seriously good phones.

I don't know so much about headphones, but I do know that I love Grados.

Schnebar
Dec 24, 2007, 12:53 PM
I got the Grado sr 80

but the Grado sr 60 is also supposed to be good too.

Check them out.

safetyobc
Dec 24, 2007, 03:27 PM
I think I would prefer headphones. I have listened to the Bose ones they have on display at Target. They sound pretty decent. I was just looking for something to listen to all types of music and also when I watch movies on my Macbook Pro. I listen mainly to rock, but I also like rap and country as well as some occasional pop. I listen to pretty much anything.

I also like watching movies on my MBP, mostly action type films.

However, I also listen to tons and tons of podcasts as well as video podcasts so one that do a decent job with voice is a plus. But my main focus is music and movies.

apsterling
Dec 24, 2007, 04:05 PM
I've got a pair of Shure E2C's, which work allright for me, but they're earcanal headphones, so they might not be what you're looking for.

macbattle
Dec 24, 2007, 04:54 PM
Maylar one X3 you will not regret it.

maccanuck2006
Dec 24, 2007, 06:49 PM
vmoda vibe. Spectacular sound for about 100 beans. I have the version for the iPhone with a microphone (vibe duo).

http://www.v-moda.com/collection/modaphones/vibe.aspx

aross99
Dec 24, 2007, 07:59 PM
I like the Sennheiser HD100's. They fold up into a nice case for portability, and they sound really good for open-aire headphones. Can't beat the price for about $50...

safetyobc
Dec 24, 2007, 08:04 PM
I have seen nothing but rave reviews for the Grado SR60's and SR80's. I am leaning heavily toward the 80's right now. I'll probably placing my order on the 26th or 27th. Still reading on others though.

SpookTheHamster
Dec 26, 2007, 08:59 AM
You won't regret Grados

xxstatic
Dec 26, 2007, 09:25 AM
Check out the iGrado's, I have a pair and they are top notch for "on the go" ipod use imo.

safetyobc
Dec 26, 2007, 06:17 PM
I have decided on the Grado SR80's. However, I am curious if there are any difference in the Grado SR80 and the Grado Prestige Series SR80.

Is the Prestige Series any different? I see that Amazon has both sets for the same price, but different name (one with "Prestige Series" and one without). Either way, I'll probably order from B&H, but theirs say "Prestige Series" also.

Thanks,

safetyobc

anirban
Dec 26, 2007, 06:24 PM
I just purchased Etymotic ER4P for $150- great earphones if you are not a basshead. I would definitely recommend it.

Schnebar
Dec 26, 2007, 06:35 PM
I have decided on the Grado SR80's. However, I am curious if there are any difference in the Grado SR80 and the Grado Prestige Series SR80.

Is the Prestige Series any different? I see that Amazon has both sets for the same price, but different name (one with "Prestige Series" and one without). Either way, I'll probably order from B&H, but theirs say "Prestige Series" also.

Thanks,

safetyobc

Yeah I think I ran into that question when I bought mine.

Anyways mine says prestige series.

If there is a difference which I don't think there is, it is always better to error on the ones that say Prestige Series.