Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Architect4122

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Hello all,

I recently bought the Canon 40D (hehe, and wrapped it for under the tree). However, before I start taking photos, and importing them onto my comp I'd like to know what the best route to take would be.

I know iPhoto (from previous experience) will jump on it and want you to import them into it.

I've also read posts regarding how to get your photo library from aperture into lightroom, and vica-verca.

So, seeing as I will be test driving both Aperture and Lightroom (probably at the same time) how should I import my photos?

Should I download them directly to my backup drive, then copy them over to my computer and have each program yank them from that? I've read about referencing photos, but I don't have either of the apps right now to check it out in their help menus.

Any advice, suggestions, or links to tutorials or helpful threads would be great. Thanks!

ps. I will be working alot in RAW.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I would just have a select amount of photos, maybe around 50, to help you play around with Aperture and Lightroom. Otherwise the previews will take up quite a bit of space and there's no point wasting more time with one of the programs if there's a chance you won't be using it in the long run.

What I would do, is if you're using all 3 would be to use Lightroom to import them onto your computer into a folder hierarchy and then import them from there into Aperture but reference them. Then in iPhoto use the "View Aperture Library" to grab photos and put them in iPhoto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.