PDA

View Full Version : How to put broken ibook g4 to good use?

imbored
Dec 25, 2007, 07:37 PM
Hey, I have an ibook G4 with a broken logic board and I'm looking to put it to good use.

When I talked to my local mac repair service (December of last year) they estimated it would cost $500 to replace and install a new logic board, and seeing as how it had been breaking piece by piece for the last year or so (I had to replace both hard drive and CD drive) I opted to buy a new macbook this fall instead.

Aside from the logic board, the ibook is still functional. It is 3 years old, has an 80gb hard drive and 256 ram. I'm trying to put it to good use, and here are my ideas:

1.) Take out the hard drive and put it in a casing and use as an external hard drive. Sell the rest on e-bay. This would free up space on my computer and I'd then be able to dual-boot it :)

2.) Do the same thing as the first one, and try to rig the 15 inch display up as an external display (Don't know much about this, but I imagine it'd be difficult. The ibook display is still in great condition though)

3.) Replace the logic board and try to set up the ibook as a server (http://www.macmod.com/content/view/442/2/) or put linux on it or make it my dedicated media player (http://www.macmod.com/content/view/210/2/).

4.) Something else? Any suggestions?

I'd really rather put it to good use than sell it, so I'm open to any suggestions you might have about modifying it in any way. Thanks for your advice, happy holidays.

P.S. it's a long shot, and I doubt it's possible, but is there anyway I'd be able to boot off my old hard drive via my macbook without disassembling the ibook? Thanks.

iMpathetic
Dec 25, 2007, 07:49 PM
i have an iBook G4 near death myself... so I'm on th same page. What I did with an old clamshell was take the parts and glue them together into a kind of twisted sculpture that looked somewhat like a hippo.

You could also make them into a mobile that hangs above your door, as a sign of the Mac's presence in your household.

Masquerade
Dec 25, 2007, 08:08 PM
2.) Do the same thing as the first one, and try to rig the 15 inch display up as an external display (Don't know much about this, but I imagine it'd be difficult. The ibook display is still in great condition though)

~ my past searches tells me that you need a dedicated display controller and this one is rare and maybe expensive
correct me if i wrong.

option: search ebay for a good deal with the motherboard and turn the ibook as media server, meanwhile use the ibook hd as external hd through a cheap usb case.