Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Actaeon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Belgium
Hello,

I have a MBP (july 2007) with boot camp XP SP2 installed. I recently upgraded to Leopard but there was a week or so between installing leopard and wanting to upgrade my boot camp drivers. I did work with boot camp after I installed Leopard and everything worked just fine untill my CD/DVD drive was no longer recognised. I checked system 32 and the driver seems to be in the right place.

When I open system management screen there is a yellow exclamation point next to the CD/DVD-drive.

Now as you can tell, this is a sticky situation since I cannot update the drivers because the DVD-drive doesn't recognize my DVD's.

I was thinking about copying the setup.exe from the Leopard DVD in the mac partition and then copying it to my desktop on the windows partition via the Finder and thus upgrading it. Will this work?
Anyone got a suggestion?

Thanks!

Actaeon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Belgium
no it still doesn't work, still the same exclamation point next to the device. I tried to update the driver in the properties window and pointed it to the driver disc I burned when I installed BC but it doesn't even recognize that there is a cd present in the drive.

It did recognize "new hardware" when I booted.

EDIT
I found out that it is missing a component of GEAR software inc. So I browsed their site and I am downloading the driver, maybe it is fixed then.

EDIT2
nope still doesn't work

I have an idea but I'm not sure if it will work:
What if i copied the setup.exe from the leopard dvd to my mac desktop and then copy it to the dekstop of my windows partition, will I be able to run the setup and update the drivers in this way?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The thing is that Window recognizes the optical drive without any additional drivers.

What software have you installed on the MacBook?

Actaeon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Belgium
I managed to get the drive working again by altering some files in the registry, it seems to be a known issue in windows going by the name "code 31".

the following screenshot shows that you have to delete the Lowerfilter and Upperfilter files in the folder shown below. After you delete the two files, you have to reboot and everything should be fine again.
topic_02125.gif

Thanks for the reply's

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I managed to get the drive working again by altering some files in the registry, it seems to be a known issue in windows going by the name "code 31".

the following screenshot shows that you have to delete the Lowerfilter and Upperfilter files in the folder shown below. After you delete the two files, you have to reboot and everything should be fine again.
topic_02125.gif

Thanks for the reply's
I have some vague recollection of the Lower/Upperfilter issue.

Do you believe there was some software that caused this?

Actaeon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Belgium
I can't really put my finger on a certain piece of software, I'm usually very cautious about what I install and how I handle my windows partition and I can't recall installing something bad, but hey, it's still windows so what do you expect. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.