Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Up to this point I've been relying on Graphic Converter and iPhoto for my editing tools, but I think I'm outgrowing this software. Most photo-editing tutorials are based around Photoshop, so I'd like to be able to use that software.

I can't afford Photoshop right now, but was considering getting Photoshop Elements. Is it worth it for someone planning to use Photoshop in the future but unable to afford it now? In particular, can I use it to learn more advanced techniques that take advantage of my SLR's capability, or is it too "dumbed down" for that?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No way. Elements is a highly capable application that I would seriously think about getting had I not bought PS. PS paid for itself, but if I weren't in a position at the time to pay for PS I would have gone with Elements.

What do you mean by taking advantage of some advanced techniques that your SLR has to offer? What SLR do you have and more importantly what tricks does it to do that one could take advantage of in PS or even PSE?

Also consider this. Aperture and Lightroom are both affordable, even more so if you're a student. Keeping that in mind PSE combined with Lightroom or even Aperture is a nice little combo. I've been told that Aperture is ok for RAW conversion but something like Bibble or Capture NX (if you're using Nikon) is better. Even still, I find Aperture to be a decent raw converter but ignorance in this case is bliss as I haven't done much testing. Consider the combo of PSE and something like Lightroom or Aperture. I consider both to be an assistant to my workflow process and not necessarily a replacement for PS, but for you and your needs I would not rule out some of the features both applications have.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Quite frankly, I'd say that Elements is *too* dumbed down to be considered a serious substitute for Photoshop. If you are a student, you can get a deeply discounted license of Photoshop. If not, I would take a look at a software called "The GIMP". Its not up to photoshop's par but I'd put it a cut above the Elements version.

edit - I wrote this out a while ago and forgot to submit. I guess I disagree with Jessica, but my advice is to download the free trial version (they offer one I'm sure) and see if it fits your style. If you like it, great, if not, no harm done. I'm sure its an excellent piece of software, I just never got a feel for it.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
PS Elements is very capable and I think is a great stepping stone for someone who will need Photoshop in the future. I have never needed the full version enough to upgrade, just doing some image editing and web design. I've been very happy with Elements alone, but then again I don't make my living on graphics.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I agree generally that PSE has matured into a fabulous piece of software. The lack of a universal binary at the moment is really the only major detractor. Gimp is more powerful, but it's also kind of a pain to use (I use Gimp on my Eee and PSE on my iMac).

Of the things that are missing in PSE -- as of 5, it still did not have a channel mixer, although there are free ones that can be added in, ditto for curves, and it did not support actions or automator -- the things that really prevent you from getting a specific effect (channel mixer and curves) can be added in; the latter items really only affect you if you have a workflow.

In PSE3, I actually just used Color Variations to very successfully get the kinds of things I'd get out of a channel mixer. I've been very, very happy with PSE for dSLR post.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Please share with us specifically what is missing from Photoshop Elements that leads you to make this claim, because I don't think this is an accurate statement.

I haven't used it since the 1.0 version that came bundled with an old digital camera so it might have changed since then. I recall it only having a few limited functions when I used it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I haven't used it since the 1.0 version that came bundled with an old digital camera so it might have changed since then. I recall it only having a few limited functions when I used it.

Version 1.0 and 2.0 were really limited... at least from what I've read around FredMiranda. Starting with 3, it became really usable (it's up to 5 :)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Even with the discount I can't afford Photoshop at the moment. If I decide that Elements isn't worth it I'll wait 6 months until I finish writing my thesis (and paychecks start arriving), and then spring for the full version of Photoshop or possibly Aperture/Lightroom.

I'm using my Canon Digital Rebel XT with a few cheapish lenses so I have no need to try and develop the kind of complicated work flows pros use; at this point I'm mostly interested in adjusting levels and exposure, and maybe trying my hand at composite images, such as HDR.

I've downloaded the GIMP and fooled around with that, but I'm not sure I want to spend the time to learn that app if I'll eventually move to Photoshop.

I'm still using PPC hardware, so not having a Universal Binary isn't critical, especially if I'm buying a $100 piece of software.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If money is really tight - one advantage to the Gimp is it's free.

It's a port of a Linux application, and as such has all the usual limitations in terms of a UI that looks like it was designed by a group of chimps - but it IS powerful. Not nearly as powerful as Photoshop, despite what some FOSS folks claim; but it can do quite a lot.

seniorstinky

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
The 6th month deal makes me wonder if it's worth it for you. If it was closer to a year, I'd say do it.

I will say that I found it useful before I upgraded. You will find that some of the things on PSE are not the same as PS.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Can someone tell me if Photoshop Elements handles layers?

What is it about Photoshop that you can't find in Elements?

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
Has there ever been rumors of Apple developing a Photoshop competitor? I'm just curious since they have been slowly encroaching on Adobe's territory with tools like Aperture and Final Cut.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Can someone tell me if Photoshop Elements handles layers?

What is it about Photoshop that you can't find in Elements?

Yes, it can handle layers. As I stated above, the major things of which I'm aware that are not supported to date in PSE are:

- Curves
- Channel Mixer
- Actions
- Automator
- Some CYMK stuff might not be in PSE also.

That's actually all I know of offhand. Of course, any feature that interoperates using more than one CS3 app is also not in PSE....

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Yes, it can handle layers. As I stated above, the major things of which I'm aware that are not supported to date in PSE are:

- Curves
- Channel Mixer
- Actions
- Automator
- Some CYMK stuff might not be in PSE also.

That's actually all I know of offhand. Of course, any feature that interoperates using more than one CS3 app is also not in PSE....

Thanks! Sounds like everything I use Photoshop for can be done in Elements.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The curves tool is in the latest Photoshop Elements for Windows, so I imagine it'll show up in the new Mac version (that's supposed to be out in early 2008).

And while you can't create actions in PSE, you can run the majority of them. I believe that's how the third-party add-ons (such as curves, incidentally) work with PSE.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
^^ That's exciting. I might even think about getting PSE6 then. :) I did some googling re: actions, and from what I can see, the answer seems to be yes and no -- plugins in PSE are not generally exactly like Photoshop actions, although they're similar, and some but not all PS actions can be made to run in PSE. Even better then.

Do you know of anything I didn't put on my list that is not in PSE as of 5 for Windows?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
Let's see... you mentioned the lack of CMYK support; someone else mentioned the lack of HDR tools... the only one I can think of (off the top of my head) is that PSE doesn't have the pen tool. It also seems like the full-blown Photoshop can do more with layers than PSE can.

One advantage to PSE is it's not quite as bloated as Photoshop... :D On my Intel Macbook Pro, CS3 still takes quite a long time to launch. Combine that with the fact that it crashes fairly frequently, and you've got one annoying application. :mad:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
One thing I want to learn is how to use the Levels function on photos I've taken...after looking at PSE's product page I'm not sure whether this feature is available as it is in PS.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The levels tool in versions of PSE I've used is about the same as it is in PS. It also has some "dumb down" autocorrect type tools, but it has the same standard levels tool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.