Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rema

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
hi all i'm a final year graphics student based in uk, i designed a website
(online portfolio) of my work, around easter and have updated it a few times during the course of the year.

As its coming to the end of my degree and i soon be looking for work i'm not
sure whether to redesign the whole thing or just update further

any thoughts on the work and the actual site would be great the impression
you get, how it runs on your system, usability would be great let me know ok

My site

thanks guys blessings

rema.

astrostu

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
(1) I don't see the point of the initial "click to enter" page. I waited a minute and thought that it just hadn't loaded all the way since all there was was the hot pink bar with white text.

(2) Much of the functionality is slow or doesn't seem to work. For example, I click on "PHOTOS" and it loads for a bit and all that's changed is that now there's a hot pink (apparent) progress bar. Nothing else. I click on one of the rectangles in the "progress bar" and nothing happens. Then about 20 sec. later, an image shows. This is very confusing. And the meaning of it sometimes being hot pink and sometimes green (like on some of your "WORK" pages makes it even more confusing.

(3) The color scheme is not very professional. Hot pink text/lines on black and then a darker green for some text is hard on the eyes and to me looks unprofessional.

(4) On your Links page, it should be "FRIENDS' SITES," not "FRIENDS SITES."

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
The first image of each section should load automatically. One shouldn't have to click one of the pink boxes in order for this to happen. They have stated that they want to see your professional work, for instance, by clicking on "professional." An additional click is redundant, and makes the user think that the site isn't working properly.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I think what you are trying to achieve, simplicity, is good; however, you've made the site too abstract.
I'm not bothered by the colors all that much since they seem to be your signature color.

-I should not have to click to enter as stated before.
-There should always be a picture or text on the content section within each section otherwise it gives the appearance that it is unfinished or broken.
-I don't like clicking on the rectangles to see the next project or picture. Not many people will know to click them and just leave the page. Make thumbnails or give an indication that they are the navigation controls.

It's just too abstract. Otherwise, keep up the good work.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
Need to work on your usability a tad and make your navigation less then two clicks to information. People are stupid. Also, why all images? Google will not like your site much.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Need to work on your usability a tad and make your navigation less then two clicks to information. People are stupid. Also, why all images? Google will not like your site much.

I tend to agree, simplicity is a very good thing in any project but you need a nice balance between what works and easy functional intuitive navigation (users are morons and can get the simple things wrong). And add more text google seo will love you for it.

Get rid of the the click to enter it's kind of redundant, I would also label each page better for orientation for the user, I would also combined all of your best work into one heading not Personal/Uni/Commercial (most people will only go to the commerical), limit your artwork to 10 to 15 of your best work and add a PDF CV (this worked for me very well).

And good luck in you future graphics career :cool:

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I like it a lot apart from the "click to enter" and having to click on a series of tiny rectangles to see pictures.

Generally I don't think people like clicking on things without some indication of what they might get before-hand, and a little red rectangle doesn't really sell an individual piece.. People risk missing your best work by idly clicking and skipping past?

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
hi, you're clearly a talented graphic designer. Unfortunately, though not a talented web designer! Have you got friends/contacts at uni on a web design/computer sci course who could help you design a page? Human computer interaction is a huge topic and you need to look at the way people will interact with your website more.

Go to the computerarts website and check out their tutorials for building a portfolio website, they could help you.

PS - i hate it when i click on "contact" on websites and my mail app loads. V Intrusive. Put a web form on that page instead, or even just an email and mailing address, phone number etc

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
honestly in my opinion its too much hassle to get to things, if I'm looking through several hundred portfolio sites (like some businesses will be) I wouldn't spend more than a couple of seconds getting to the work. Needs to be more fluid and direct. Also personally I'm not keen on the green and pink.

waynesun

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
Splash pages should be left in the 90's. The website needs to be more usable (in terms of attracting clients - only a notable designer can get away with a design like that). I like the fact that your site isn't cookie cutter. You try to maintain your own way, but it won't help very much if the client cannot get past the first page. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.