PDA

View Full Version : 15" APPLE POWERBOOK G4 Questions about laptop

MacBookLover
Dec 26, 2007, 06:22 PM
Hey I just bought at 15" APPLE POWERBOOK G4 laptop online. I'm new to macs but yeah. It didn't come with an operation system or a power cord. Here are the specs I was told it came with:

From my understanding I'll need the Power Cord, New Harddrive, and Operating System and ill be all set correct?

How is this laptop for surfing web/email?

I also Purchased it for 200$ is this a fair price?

15" APPLE POWERBOOK G4
NOTEBOOK LAPTOP

Power Mac G4 500MHz CPU with 256 MB RAM, 15" Active Matrix Screen, No Drive, Touchpad Pointing Device, 56.0K (OnBoard), Fast Ethernet (100Base-X) Network Adapter, Integrated Sound System with Speakers, Carrying Case Not Included, One PCM Slot, 500MHz Motherboard, Drive 1: IDE 12.0 GB HD, Removable Drive 1: CD-RW DVD Combo, 8 MB VRAM (OnBoard) Video RAM,

TSE
Dec 26, 2007, 06:32 PM
How much did you pay for that?

MacBookLover
Dec 26, 2007, 06:34 PM
I also Purchased it for 200$ is this a fair price?

I posted it.

TSE
Dec 26, 2007, 06:37 PM
Oh, sorry.

I think that wasn't really a bad deal, but not a good one at all either. My mother has the same exact model except it is a 1 GHZ version one, and it has gone through 3 defective screens. I would definately put one of those screen protectors in between the keyboard and screen whenever you close it, as soon as she started using those, all worked fine.

Get atleast a 60 GB Hard Drive with 7200 RPM, and definately upgrade the RAM to atleast 1 GB, which happens to be max.

With the hard drive, the ram, and buying Mac OS X Tiger, the total is going to come down to atleast 350 dollars including the computer, not to mention you will probably need to buy iLife and other software, so it is getting expensive, but overall it is a great computer.

Good luck.

MacBookLover
Dec 26, 2007, 06:48 PM
Oh, sorry.

I think that wasn't really a bad deal, but not a good one at all either. My mother has the same exact model except it is a 1 GHZ version one, and it has gone through 3 defective screens. I would definately put one of those screen protectors in between the keyboard and screen whenever you close it, as soon as she started using those, all worked fine.

Get atleast a 60 GB Hard Drive with 7200 RPM, and definately upgrade the RAM to atleast 1 GB, which happens to be max.

With the hard drive, the ram, and buying Mac OS X Tiger, the total is going to come down to atleast 350 dollars including the computer, not to mention you will probably need to buy iLife and other software, so it is getting expensive, but overall it is a great computer.

Good luck.

oh cool thanks for the response. Is that the only thing I can upgrade? Just the RAM/HD on this laptop? 350$ in the end is not a bad deal at all.. I just don't want my other laptop all over the place. This one will be used for travel etc.

Where is the best place to get the hard drive?

same with OS?

JSchwage
Dec 26, 2007, 06:54 PM
oh cool thanks for the response. Is that the only thing I can upgrade? Just the RAM/HD on this laptop? 350$ in the end is not a bad deal at all.. I just don't want my other laptop all over the place. This one will be used for travel etc.

Where is the best place to get the hard drive?

same with OS?My favorite place to buy computer hardware is newegg.com. You can find OS X Tiger on eBay. Make sure it's either the retail version or the version made especially for the Powerbook G4.

MacBookLover
Dec 26, 2007, 06:56 PM
I actually work at a company that has hard drives.. does it need to be a specific apple HD?

I have 40gb 60gb and 80 gb slip laptop harddrives..

I just dont know if they will fit?

MacBookLover
Dec 26, 2007, 07:01 PM
An example is this drive:

Fujitsu 60GB
Model: MHT2060BH
Part No: CA06500-B616
Satadrive

Will this drive work??

If anyone knows let me know!

Techguy172
Dec 26, 2007, 07:04 PM
An example is this drive:

Fujitsu 60GB
Model: MHT2060BH
Part No: CA06500-B616
Satadrive

Will this drive work??

If anyone knows let me know!

Yes that will work just fine.

MacBookLover
Dec 26, 2007, 07:53 PM
Awesome!!!

masse
Dec 26, 2007, 08:43 PM
Got the machine in signature for under 400...so yeah, not the best deal.

TheStu
Dec 27, 2007, 03:36 AM
Awesome!!!

No, its not awesome, that drive will not work.

At the bottom of your thing there, you said it was a SATA drive. The old PowerBooks used ATA drives. You need a 2.5" 9.5mm ATA hard drive.