PDA

View Full Version : Ipod can not sort album by year? :(

statikcat
Dec 26, 2007, 08:06 PM
I have searched around and not found a solid answer.

Is it possible for the Ipod to sort albums by year instead of alphabetical? In Itunes you can change this option so you can browse artist' albums chronologically instead of alphabetically. Is this possible on the Ipod?

Thanks!

statikcat
Dec 27, 2007, 01:16 PM
Nobody knows? I dont believe it.. ;)

davedecay
Dec 27, 2007, 02:25 PM
I don't think so, but you could create playlists based upon year.
(probably not what you want to do, but hey...)

statikcat
Dec 27, 2007, 02:53 PM
Thats too bad. It does not look like you can sort anything. Just have to use the artist/album sorting. Would be nice if there was a menu that sorted playlist by different tags (like the columns in itunes). Surprised it is not an option.. Oh well maybe it will be added later. I still love it reguardless!

Yr Blues
Jul 1, 2008, 08:54 PM
I have a discography of a band that plays out of order.

iPod = fail and I've owned 4 of them including the first one when it came out.

eh.jay
Jul 10, 2008, 10:28 AM
Hey, I've banged my head against the wall on this issue too. They only solution, until Apple gets around to fixing this problem, is to name each album starting with the year (e.g. Album: 2007 Systematic Chaos, 2005 Octavarium). That will "force" the ipod to list things chronologically rather than alphabetically. It's just sort of annoying to have every one of your album titles begin with a year.

eh.jay
Jul 10, 2008, 10:30 AM
another alternative would be to begin each title with a letter (e.g. Album: a Systematic Chaos, b Octavarium). Still looks dumb, but at least it won't take up as many characters as the date will.

musicelect
Jul 10, 2008, 12:22 PM
You can force iTunes to sort your albums however you want. By default it uses the album name, ignoring any beginning "The" or "A". You can see how this works by looking at the sorting options by right clicking on a song and selecting get info and then clicking the sorting tab.

To force iTunes to sort an artist's albums by year:
Select a song by the artist and right-click and select get info, or apple-i. Select the sorting tab. In the "sort album" field enter the year of the album before the album title(i.e. 2008 Viva La Vida). Click OK. You'll see that the song has just created another instance of that album in the browser list. Find this new album instance and right click on the song again and select "Apply Sort Field" > "Same Album". iTunes will automatically place all songs with the same album title in this date-associated album list. If you do this to all the songs by an artist the albums will be sorted by date in iTunes and will be reflected on iPods and iPhone devices as well (they will play albums by year).

Sure it's a slow process, but it's the only way and it works.