PDA

View Full Version : Heat/Cold effects on iPod - leaving in vehicle

safetyobc
Dec 26, 2007, 09:10 PM
Starting in February, I will have to travel from my home, park my vehicle for 5 days (Sunday night through Friday night). The drive is 2 hours to, and 2 hours from. I cannot take the iPod with me the 5 days, it must remain in my vehicle. I will be doing this for 22 weeks.

I would like to be able to keep up with my podcats, etc. So I thought I could take my iPod along. However, if the heat/cold will cause damage to it, I would rather leave it at home.

I will be in Central Arkansas. Starting February, temps usually don't get below 25 degrees F. Usually the normal is around 35 to 40 for lows this time of the year. But they can dip into the 20's occasionally.

However, as Spring and Summer approach, outside temps could reach 100 + (especially into June and July). Temps inside a vehicle will be much higher, obviously.

I have a 5G iPod and an iPod Touch. Would either of these be advisable to keep in the vehicle or would it be best just to leave them at home to prevent the temps from causing damage?

Thanks for any information,

safetyobc

Big-TDI-Guy
Dec 26, 2007, 09:14 PM
Hi temps are more of a problem then low temps - but what really concerns me is humidity. Any moisture in your car, and it might not play well with your ipod. (especially if the car is just "sitting" there for a while)

It should tolerate temps generally better if not in active use - and not left in the direct sun. Avoid anything over 120 - as that could start to cause problems.

davedecay
Dec 27, 2007, 02:28 PM
How about putting it into an insulated cooler? You could also put the iPod into a sealed plastic container first, as an added cushion of air insulation. Then cover the container with a white cloth in hot months, and a black cloth in cold months, to help reflect/absorb heat from light.