Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Hi,

I have a Macbook, and I want to buy a audio interface of some sort and an external hard drive. But there being only 1 Firewire 400 port, I need to choose between getting a Firewire interface and a USB external, or the other way round. I won't be working with more than 2 inputs at once. What are the pros / cons of each set up? What will best fit my needs?

Thank you!

JJJ

JSchwage

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2006
Rochester, NY
I'd recommend getting an external hard drive that has both the USB and Firewire interface. But I'd recommend using the Firewire interface for the hard drive most of the time and use USB for your audio.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Firewire will give you better performance generally - although the specs are similar, real world performance is noticeably better on firewire (yes, even firewire 400).

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Firewire will give you better performance generally - although the specs are similar, real world performance is noticeably better on firewire (yes, even firewire 400).

I know, and if I had more than one port I would get a firewire interface and a firewire hard drive, but the point is I don't.

Basically, If a USB audio interface in enough for what I want to do, then I'll go with that and a firewire hardrive.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
If you are getting an external HDD I would go with one with both USB or Firewire connectors. Most PCs dont have firewire and if you need to transfer stuff between your mac and other PCs it might prove valuable down the road.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
If you are getting an external HDD I would go with one with both USB or Firewire connectors. Most PCs dont have firewire and if you need to transfer stuff between your mac and other PCs it might prove valuable down the road.

I agree with getting an external HDD with both USB and Firewire connectors, but this does not answer my question. I need to use both an audio interface and an an external HDD at the same time, but a macbook has only 1 firewire port.

Maybe if I put it differently :

Assuming that Firewire is the prefered connection, would you give priority to an audio interface or an external HDD?

Cheers

JJJ

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Assuming that Firewire is the prefered connection, would you give priority to an audio interface or an external HDD?

yep, it's no problem putting both devices on the same bus. check w/ the manufacturer regarding which device should be "in the middle", as it were, but i suspect it'd be the interface.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
yep, it's no problem putting both devices on the same bus. check w/ the manufacturer regarding which device should be "in the middle", as it were, but i suspect it'd be the interface.

They actually advise against putting both on the same bus. Which brings me back my question. Would you give firewire priority to the audio interface or the external HDD? (the other would use USB)

Thanks

JJJ

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
They actually advise against putting both on the same bus.
which piece is it?

Would you give firewire priority to the audio interface or the external HDD? (the other would use USB)

ah, i mis-read your question before.

definitely firewire for the hard drive. for only 2 channels, USB is fine for an interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.