PDA

View Full Version : Buying To-Go Items with Your iPhone?

MacRumors
Dec 27, 2007, 09:45 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Forbes summarizes (http://www.forbes.com/2007/12/26/apple-patents-iphone-tech-wire-bc_1227appatent.html?partner=yahootix) a recent patent application that has been published which reveals that Apple has been researching integrating future devices with the ability to place on-the-go orders at local stores.In an application with the U.S. Patent Office filed on Dec. 20, the Cupertino, Calif.-based computer and gadget company described a wireless system that would allow customers to place an order at a store using a wireless device such as a media player, a wireless personal digital assistant or a cellphone.
The system would, for example, allow customers to order a drink with the press of a button on their iPhone which would then notify them when their order was ready. The Forbes article suggests that this may put Apple's partnership with Starbucks in a new light.

Apple has already integrated iTunes song purchasing closely with Starbucks. iTunes and iPhone users can already purchase playing music (http://www.apple.com/itunes/starbucks/) at Starbucks with the tap of a button: Say you’re in line at Starbucks. You hear this amazing song wafting from the speakers. You gotta have it. Now. Tap the iTunes button on your iPhone or iPod touch, tap the Starbucks button, and voilà: You see the current song, the last 10 songs played, and featured Starbucks Collections. Preview, buy, and download whatever you like, right then and there. Or, if you’re sipping away with your laptop, buy what’s playing -- exclusively on iTunes.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/27/buying-to-go-items-with-your-iphone/)

Moof1904
Dec 27, 2007, 09:53 AM
Neat-o. This opens up an entire method of instant gratification purchasing. How secure would it be? Could it be easily spoofed by someone nearby, I wonder.

Digitalclips
Dec 27, 2007, 09:55 AM
Maybe same technology could be used to tell you your table is ready too and save restaurants buying as many of those flashing gizzmos ;)

plumbingandtech
Dec 27, 2007, 09:55 AM
Well the iphone web interface WOULD be useful for ordering a half - caf full vente mocha with cinnamon whip cream and chocolate dusting.

;)

Stella
Dec 27, 2007, 09:57 AM
Parts of Asia have had this ability - buying for items via cell phone - for quite a while.

Hopefully this sort of thing will appear more throughout north America soon.

evilyankeefan
Dec 27, 2007, 09:57 AM
Interesting example w/ using Starbucks to order drinks. Unless they have a dedicated barista for iPhone orders, you're really not getting anything faster as it still has to be queued with the other orders.

At least when you order in person, you have an idea of where you are at. An iPhone order and you really have no clue.

Now I have heard some crazy orders at Starbucks, so this might be aimed at those type.

Mistershark
Dec 27, 2007, 09:58 AM
I like this idea better than a bulky table you can fingerpaint with. ;)

Digitalclips
Dec 27, 2007, 09:59 AM
Neat-o. This opens up an entire method of instant gratification purchasing. How secure would it be? Could it be easily spoofed by someone nearby, I wonder.

That reminds me of my high school days when the bitchy Head Mistress 'ordered' a few tons of very ripe cow manure to be dumped in her front yard while she was at work ... hehehe.

ChrisK018
Dec 27, 2007, 10:00 AM
This iPhone I own is putting me into a demographic that I have no desire to be part of.

The Starbuck's gettin' instant iTunes buyin' dweeb set. Eeew.

Poncho
Dec 27, 2007, 10:00 AM
God do I hate Starbucks.

Or maybe it's a different sort of shop in the UK.

Digitalclips
Dec 27, 2007, 10:01 AM
I like this idea better than a bulky table you can fingerpaint with. ;)

I think I read MS are updating that design, it will now come with a tilt detector.

MonkeyClaw
Dec 27, 2007, 10:05 AM
God do I hate Starbucks.

No, its probably just as cliche and fake as it is here in the states. The company tries hard considering their size and I give them credit for that, but their coffee isn't good and the atmosphere in their houses just feels so fake and made up. Much better to go to a local coffee house and support the little guy!

But despite my feelings towards starbucks, I can appreciate the technology behind this idea, the convergence of technology and other unsaid parts of our lives is really fascinating to me.

Poncho
Dec 27, 2007, 10:07 AM
Here's a photo of a Starbucks in Scotland by Jim Jenista. Is it the same as in America? I guess the foam's optional...

Doctor Q
Dec 27, 2007, 10:33 AM
The U.S. is way behind Japan in the use of mobile phones for making purchases. Perhaps this will help the west catch up.

cliffjumper68
Dec 27, 2007, 10:35 AM
This sounds great, I love to get my starbucks hit in the morning. I hope that this includes buying the drink through your itunes account. That would circumvent any need to order or pay at the counter, just pick it up. Nice experience I am sure.
For everyone that does not like starbucks, just go somewhere else and enjoy that venue. It would be cool if this extended to nicer restaurants as well.

koobcamuk
Dec 27, 2007, 10:35 AM
Here's a photo of a Starbucks in Scotland by Jim Jenista. Is it the same as in America? I guess the foam's optional...

I dare you to use that foam and claim ignorance. Maybe you'll even get compo...

EagerDragon
Dec 27, 2007, 10:44 AM
umm, can't find the "another Margarita" application in the iPhone.

Thanatoast
Dec 27, 2007, 10:57 AM
sounds cool. with an easy interface and good selection of retailers i'd be happy to use this service.

of course should it come to be Apple will be hailed as the next Google, primed to rule the world. escepcially if it all goes through your iTunes account.

Apple World Domination, Inc., anyone?

Dec 27, 2007, 11:36 AM
No, its probably just as cliche and fake as it is here in the states. The company tries hard considering their size and I give them credit for that, but their coffee isn't good and the atmosphere in their houses just feels so fake and made up. Much better to go to a local coffee house and support the little guy!

But despite my feelings towards starbucks, I can appreciate the technology behind this idea, the convergence of technology and other unsaid parts of our lives is really fascinating to me.

What is wrong with Starbucks? Love the coffee (ok a little expensive, but my wife hits them every day).....

Dec 27, 2007, 11:39 AM
Interesting example w/ using Starbucks to order drinks. Unless they have a dedicated barista for iPhone orders, you're really not getting anything faster as it still has to be queued with the other orders.

At least when you order in person, you have an idea of where you are at. An iPhone order and you really have no clue.

Now I have heard some crazy orders at Starbucks, so this might be aimed at those type.

Yeah, I agree you almost need a dedicated Barista. Hmm.... The slow down is usually the fact that there is only 2 cahs registers. Now if they can integrate that with Credit/Debit card payment and a Tiff of your receipt - then it would make the line move faster.

Kinda like this... As for the crazy orders, well.... Maybe if you order directly from your phone (and they have a screen or printout of the order - rather than remembering 5 orders they are making at once) - then maybe they will not forget I ordered soy with whip.

Dec 27, 2007, 11:41 AM
God do I hate Starbucks.

Nothing is wrong with Starbucks - ok maybe one thing. They use T-Mobile which means you have to pay for wireless, where as most places offer "FREE" Wifi.

plumbingandtech
Dec 27, 2007, 11:50 AM
Kinda like this... As for the crazy orders, well.... Maybe if you order directly from your phone (and they have a screen or printout of the order - rather than remembering 5 orders they are making at once) - then maybe they will not forget I ordered soy with whip.

This would be nice in that it would remember your "favorites" and as you say, not mess up the order.

One Click ordering -> my favorite -> beamed to barrista -> paid from my itunes account (or CC) -> not have to wait in line -> just wait in the area where they call your name.

Sounds awesome to me.

genoco
Dec 27, 2007, 11:51 AM
http://www.genoco.com/images/interactive_quickOrder_t.jpg
Ha, I came up with this idea few months ago, oh well...
See more HERE (http://www.genoco.com/link/interactive_quickOrder.html)

headhighguy
Dec 27, 2007, 11:55 AM
Well, that would eliminate waiting in line, right? So with people ordering drinks online, you would have less people waiting in line. That also means less people spend time waiting in the Starbucks store, and therefore won't use the Starbucks iTunes Wi-Fi music store as much. I don't think thats in Starbucks' and Apple's best interest. Usually retailers aim for customers spending as much time as possible in the store.

I can see online ordering working for restaurants, etc. but not in Starbucks.

Popeye206
Dec 27, 2007, 11:56 AM
Ahhhh... the fiendish plan is coming together! :D

When Apple announced the Starbucks deal, it made sense that soon you would be able to use your iTunes account or other digital wallet to order and purchase other items... both at Starbucks and I would suspect other places too in the near future.

I think this is a beautiful model and I hope it comes to light. On the other hand, it will be interesting to see how criminals try to exploit it.

Anyway... does anyone get the idea this is going to be a fun filled MacWorld??? Maybe even "one-up" last years HUGE announcements?

P.S. why didn't I buy Apple stock 10 years ago when it was under $5 a share???? UGH!

plumbingandtech
Dec 27, 2007, 12:00 PM
headhighguy, see my step by step above as to how I think it would work.

This new way of ordering would not decrease the time spent drinking and browsing the itunes store from your iphone IMO.

genoco, you need to send this to apple now and tell them to hire you!!

FCPnewbie
Dec 27, 2007, 12:02 PM
Our society is getting ridiculously removed from personal interaction. Now you're telling me you can go to a public place and order a personalized beverage without having to speak to anyone... why does this scare me?
Maybe I'm showing my age a bit (30) but is it good to be so personally detached? I'm curious to see where this is heading as a society.

And yes, I do appreciate the irony of me typing this message as a mostly anonymous user in a message board.

jbernie
Dec 27, 2007, 12:05 PM
Ok, it sounds neat, but I wonder what the security is like for this? I mean, if you lose/misplace the iphone, how easy is it for someone to make purchases on your behalf? ok, so it isnt like they can go buy a weeks worth of groceries or something.

But is the purchasing ability linked to the phone account, the sim?

mowenbrown
Dec 27, 2007, 12:07 PM
I tend to avoid SBUX in the morning, but... if I could order my drink of choice while I was a few blocks away and have it paid for by my iTunes account and just grab it that would be interesting. Although, it seems like drinks would pile up in the bar that way.

Although, it seems to really make the whole package work Apple would be better served by jumping on the SBUX/T-Mobile bandwagon. Get your iPhone from T-Mo, pay a few bucks extra to use the hot-spot service, and then you can sit it the store all day surfing the web, buying music and ordering drinks all day. Isn't apple only tied to AT&T for the current model? Could iPhone 2.0 be available on multiple carriers?

My local coffee shop (free wi-fi limited to 1HR or not) will always win when I have time to sit and read the paper, but for the above I would gladly trade in my T-Mo powered BB 8800 for a T-mo powered iPhone to use on travel and durring the week....

FCPnewbie
Dec 27, 2007, 12:07 PM
On the other hand, it will be interesting to see how criminals try to exploit it.

I was wondering the same thing.

why didn't I buy Apple stock 10 years ago when it was under $5 a share???? UGH!

I was trying to think of a pithy way to say "same thing as my comment above" but I couldn't come up with anything. Drat.

Random Ping
Dec 27, 2007, 12:24 PM
I think we are just starting to see the possibilities of the iPhone. Along the the lines mentioned in the article, I would love to see Delicious (http://www.delicious-monster.com/) integrated into the iPhone (maybe once the SDK comes out). Use the iPhone's camera to take a picture of a product's barcode, and then iPhone contacts a database and pulls up lots of details on the product (e.g., reviews, video previews, etc.).

Apple is getting pretty good at making it easy to separate me from my money.

MonkeyClaw
Dec 27, 2007, 12:33 PM

Yep, looks identical. And the foam looks like our fire extinguishers but yea, looks identical. Its like fake culture, really annoying at least to me anyways...

iSee
Dec 27, 2007, 12:45 PM
I think we are just starting to see the possibilities of the iPhone. Along the the lines mentioned in the article, I would love to see Delicious (http://www.delicious-monster.com/) integrated into the iPhone (maybe once the SDK comes out). Use the iPhone's camera to take a picture of a product's barcode, and then iPhone contacts a database and pulls up lots of details on the product (e.g., reviews, video previews, etc.).

Apple is getting pretty good at making it easy to separate me from my money.

Your idea's better than the one from the main story.

I'm pretty doubtful Apple's idea will get much traction in real life. If people were very interested in this sort of thing we'd see a lot more signs. This is just a logical extension of kiosk ordering, after all, and there isn't a lot of that around.

Orng
Dec 27, 2007, 01:07 PM
This is pretty cool, but not cool enough to make Fourbucks coffee any less over-roasted, over-priced, and over-rated.

I'd probably use it at GOOD coffee shops though, if I had the option. And if I could even buy an iPhone in this country. Be nice for Sushi too, and other meals I don't want to wait for. If I could order dinner mid-afternoon to have it ready at 5:30, that would be awesome.

If only there was a way to do that with the technology available on my desk right now.... :D

question fear
Dec 27, 2007, 01:07 PM
Although, it seems to really make the whole package work Apple would be better served by jumping on the SBUX/T-Mobile bandwagon. Get your iPhone from T-Mo, pay a few bucks extra to use the hot-spot service, and then you can sit it the store all day surfing the web, buying music and ordering drinks all day. Isn't apple only tied to AT&T for the current model? Could iPhone 2.0 be available on multiple carriers?

No, the contract is supposedly for any iPhones for 5 years. There's no way AT&T signed a 5 year contract on one version of a cell phone. Cells get updated at least once a year, and you'd have a hard time finding a phone that came out 5 months ago, let alone 5 years ago. They've got the exclusive on all iterations in the USA for 5 years.

And let's not forget that AT&T owns wifi hotspots too. And that T-Mobile needs revenue where they can get it. So between those two, plus Starbucks desire to gain more incremental revenue from people hanging around all day, someone's coming up with a way to lure iPhone owners into paying.

dicklacara
Dec 27, 2007, 01:23 PM
Parts of Asia have had this ability - buying for items via cell phone - for quite a while.

Hopefully this sort of thing will appear more throughout north America soon.

The Following URL shows a series of Flash videos that demonstrate how this could work (plus a lot more).

http://www.kddi.com/english/corporate/kddi/ubiquitous/en_b_select.html

The site is several years old, and you may have some difficulty loading the Flash movies,

Stick with it, tho, as it is worth the effort.

This is all possible, Today!

halhiker
Dec 27, 2007, 01:27 PM
Ahhhh... the fiendish plan is coming together! :D

P.S. why didn't I buy Apple stock 10 years ago when it was under $5 a share???? UGH!

The real question is why didn't you buy it when it was at $40 a few years ago or at $100 six months ago? And at $200 today?

tkidBOSTON
Dec 27, 2007, 01:40 PM
God, this is the future I've been waiting for. No more checking to see if I remembered my phone, ipod and wallet before leaving the house. Oh, man, forgot the keys.

If I can do everything from once device, I'd be happy. Grab the iphone, leave the house. :)

offwidafairies
Dec 27, 2007, 01:51 PM
this idea seems quite progressive

twoodcc
Dec 27, 2007, 01:57 PM
i think this is pretty cool. makes the starbucks partner look better

Popeye206
Dec 27, 2007, 01:57 PM
Our society is getting ridiculously removed from personal interaction. Now you're telling me you can go to a public place and order a personalized beverage without having to speak to anyone... why does this scare me?

You definitely have a point... I'm in my mid 40's - love technology, but already see with the younger generation how computers have helped our children become more removed from personal interaction with others. Heck, my step son who is 22, would rather chat on his Macbook until 3am with his buddies (which none of them he has ever met) than go out and have a real life. He has no friends locally. He can't stay away from it and I'd say he's addicted to it. Whats worse... he is not good with people in person. I see this out of so many in his age group and younger.... typing their lives away (as I am now! LOL!). Oh wait... I have a life away from this thing! Thank goodness! But it is sad too.

This is like the theory Faith Popcorn put out in her book about how technology will cause people to cocoon away from others. Is this what we're coming too? A virtual life where we talk to everyone and know no one?

With that said... I do love the idea of what this will bring... but you can't help but pause and think about what it means in the long run.

ChrisK018
Dec 27, 2007, 02:12 PM
God, this is the future I've been waiting for. No more checking to see if I remembered my phone, ipod and wallet before leaving the house. Oh, man, forgot the keys.

If I can do everything from once device, I'd be happy. Grab the iphone, leave the house. :)

Don't forget your wallet and keys yet-- you're getting ahead of yourself... but the keyless car iPhone iCarKey deal with BMW and the Driver's iLicense with California is right around the corner I'm sure.

BornAgainMac
Dec 27, 2007, 02:12 PM
Enable it at an Apple Store. Then poof, you can purchase your Macbook Pro or XServe without even waiting in line.

jrichrd
Dec 27, 2007, 02:17 PM
Apple/Starbucks really need to address the T-Mobile/Non-free wi-fi access that is currently in place before they get carried away with any new crazy ideas. Its a disgrace that T-Mobile hotspots are still in place, they need to kick out T-Mobile and/or pay them enough to provide free wi-fi access.

For the iPhone user who wants access at the local Starbucks they must not only pay at&t but also sign up a revolving monthly account with T-Mobile and/or pay the one-time usage fee.

My thoughts are that Starbucks is currently locked in some kind of contract with T-Mobile hence the lack of traction on this as Apple must be aware that its iPhone customers are currently frustrated with this. It benefits all parties to offer free wi-fi.

... Ironically Seattle's Best, also owned and operated by Starbucks offers free wi-fi! ... weird.

Random Ping
Dec 27, 2007, 02:30 PM
This is just a logical extension of kiosk ordering, after all, and there isn't a lot of that around.

I wonder if the idea of not having to get off your butt and interrupt your conversation with someone or leave your laptop will make it more likely to people to place an order?

Imagine having finished your first cup of coffee 10 minutes ago but you are still sitting there enjoying a conversation with a pretty girl (or guy). To get another shot, just whip out your iPhone, order your second Mocha, ask the pretty friend if they want one, submit your order. When the coffees are placed on the pick up counter, you get up for 5 seconds, grab the order, sit back down, and carry on the conversation with minimal interruption.

Or maybe you are writing a paper for your class, and you have run out of caffeine. You can either leave your laptop unattended for 15 minutes while you wait in line, place your order and pay, and then wait for them to make it, or you can pack up your laptop to go wait in line (at which point someone takes your spot), or you can order it on your iPhone and then wait until the order is up. That only takes 5 seconds to pick it up, so you don't worry about your laptop.

I am not a Starbucks fanboy, so I don't know if this would be of value or not. It is just a thought.

BlakTornado
Dec 27, 2007, 02:33 PM
You definitely have a point... I'm in my mid 40's - love technology, but already see with the younger generation how computers have helped our children become more removed from personal interaction with others. Heck, my step son who is 22, would rather chat on his Macbook until 3am with his buddies (which none of them he has ever met) than go out and have a real life. He has no friends locally. He can't stay away from it and I'd say he's addicted to it. Whats worse... he is not good with people in person. I see this out of so many in his age group and younger.... typing their lives away

Wow. That's me but I'm 15 :O

I don't go out and socialize with friends - mainly because most of them don't live locally (despite being able to meet them a bus journey away) and because I really dislike just hanging around on street corners, intimidating the general public with my presence.
Then again, most of the stuff I do as a hobby (Stop Motion animation, Music Making) revolves around computers so I kinda have an excuse :P
But I have realised that I spend way too much time on my iMac (Yeah, I spent £1009 out of my own pocket after 9 months of saving on this thing but that's no excuse to spend every awake moment on it)... mainly because my eyes are really starting to suffer due to it (I wake up each morning and have to spend a few minutes to see whether or not they've gotten any worse).

I'm bad, but I know I'm not as bad as some people who only use their computer for non-productive things like playing computer games and just talking to people (At least most of the people I talk to have some benefit to my career - like I talk to other animators and we share tips and stuff)... But I do agree that it's very saddening and in the next ten or twenty years, we'll see a world full of people too socially retarded to actually make contact with each other that isn't awkward in some way.

Random Ping
Dec 27, 2007, 02:33 PM

And pray you never lose or break your iPhone. ;)

halhiker
Dec 27, 2007, 02:39 PM
Maybe I'm showing my age a bit (30) but is it good to be so personally detached? I'm curious to see where this is heading as a society.

And yes, I do appreciate the irony of me typing this message as a mostly anonymous user in a message board.

Waiting in line to get a much needed caffeine fix is not my best time for human interaction, to say the least. Unless strangulation of the bee-yatch in front of me ordering a 1/2 caff soy latte extra hot no foam with 2 shots of sugar free vanilla and a sprinkle of cinnamon is considered personal interaction.

Once I have my coffee in hand I will be a much happier soul and glad to sit down and have a conversation. Just get off your damn cellphone!

Random Ping
Dec 27, 2007, 02:39 PM
I do agree that it's very saddening and in the next ten or twenty years, we'll see a world full of people too socially retarded to actually make contact with each other that isn't awkward in some way.

I had a "Richie Rich and Casper" comic back in the 70s (?) where this was the plot line. However, I don't think that this is necessarily a bad thing, people will just interact differently.

I have greater concerns that the chatterbots will get so good that many people will have online friendships without every knowing that their friend is only a piece of software on a machine.

jman2003
Dec 27, 2007, 02:52 PM
headhighguy, see my step by step above as to how I think it would work.

This new way of ordering would not decrease the time spent drinking and browsing the itunes store from your iphone IMO.

genoco, you need to send this to apple now and tell them to hire you!!

I totally agree with you, That is amazing for someone that does not work for Apple and is not being paid to do that. You should really send that to Apple and get then to hire you like plumbingandtech said.

MacFly123
Dec 27, 2007, 03:03 PM
http://genoco.com/images/interactive_quickOrder_t.jpg
See more HERE (\"http://genoco.com/link/interactive_quickOrder.html\")

Dude, that is some very very nice work :) You should be working for Apple with me :) hehe!

genoco
Dec 27, 2007, 03:39 PM
thanks! Maybe I should....:)

iSee
Dec 27, 2007, 03:41 PM
I wonder if the idea of not having to get off your butt and interrupt your conversation with someone or leave your laptop will make it more likely to people to place an order?

Imagine having finished your first cup of coffee 10 minutes ago but you are still sitting there enjoying a conversation with a pretty girl (or guy). To get another shot, just whip out your iPhone, order your second Mocha, ask the pretty friend if they want one, submit your order. When the coffees are placed on the pick up counter, you get up for 5 seconds, grab the order, sit back down, and carry on the conversation with minimal interruption.

Or maybe you are writing a paper for your class, and you have run out of caffeine. You can either leave your laptop unattended for 15 minutes while you wait in line, place your order and pay, and then wait for them to make it, or you can pack up your laptop to go wait in line (at which point someone takes your spot), or you can order it on your iPhone and then wait until the order is up. That only takes 5 seconds to pick it up, so you don't worry about your laptop.

I am not a Starbucks fanboy, so I don't know if this would be of value or not. It is just a thought.

I agree that this is better than kiosk ordering, as you point out. Another reason is that kiosks generally have really poor GUIs and I'll bet Apple supply a nice one to vendors. It would be consistent and familiar to the iPhone/iPod ower, too. Also, integrated easy payment would greatly simplify things (though that is likely to raise the cost and who is going to pay that service fee?). And, no waiting in line if the kiosk is already in use.

Hrm, that's a lot of ways this is better than kiosk ordering, but I still think that if people were ready for this we'd see a lot more early versions of it than we do now. Take the movie theater near me. It has some kiosks for ticket purchases. What could be easier? Just pick from one of ~10 movies, a time and a quantity. But people don't even look at the kiosks unless the ticket line is really long.

iSee
Dec 27, 2007, 03:43 PM

Prior Art!

So much for Apple's patent application!

bonGeek
Dec 27, 2007, 03:49 PM
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2291

"Mr. Jack, you are Unwired!", I wrote this article, and it was published in San Jose Local Business News Paper, you can read it in detail on the above captioned website.

tkidBOSTON
Dec 27, 2007, 03:58 PM
Don't forget your wallet and keys yet-- you're getting ahead of yourself... but the keyless car iPhone iCarKey deal with BMW and the Driver's iLicense with California is right around the corner I'm sure.

I'm not, I'm not... But I wish I could and this sounds like it might be the first real step in that direction.

And pray you never lose or break your iPhone. ;)

I already pray that I don't break or lose my iPhone. But these days I have to pray I don't forget my keys or leave my wallet as well. Having one thing to worry about is where I want to be.

And I get that my ideal sounds terrible to some people. They don't want all their information in one place. And thats fine. But I do. And I think other people will climb on board as well. I feel like the resistance to this would be much like the resistance I'd imagine there was to credit cards replacing cash.

But who knows. I guess time will tell.

Aussie John
Dec 27, 2007, 03:59 PM
I just dont get it - how do you download the coffee?

jbernie
Dec 27, 2007, 04:07 PM
http://genoco.com/images/interactive_quickOrder_t.jpg

To expand on this idea, and I like it alot already. Have it go the extra mile, for each beverage provide a description with the ingedients and the nutrition information and it would be perfect. As a diabetic it is a pain to find carbohydrate info on some foods.

Select starbucks icon > select beverage type > select Info > and have the description and nutrition info presented. Have a back button....Ooo wait a minute... making it too hard.. use the iphones gesturing. Could you have it so you move your finger to the right across the selection for more info and then move finger to the left for back?

I think once they can get the human interface fingured out ie provide a name or something so you don't get accused of queue jumping etc, and a way for starbucks to easily receive/process orders. Then I could see this being quite popular.

sippykup
Dec 27, 2007, 04:51 PM
http://waitinginlinesucks.com

TurboSC
Dec 27, 2007, 04:57 PM
Maybe same technology could be used to tell you your table is ready too and save restaurants buying as many of those flashing gizzmos ;)

hahah that'd be a great idea... I wonder why they don't have a system where they could at least send you a text message, those blinking coaster things scare the hell out of me sometimes.

muncyweb
Dec 27, 2007, 04:59 PM
Can we get any more lazy? Perhaps we could program the iPhone to make our beds in the morning.

Maccus Aurelius
Dec 27, 2007, 05:19 PM
This doesn't beat my thermos coffee helmet, not by a long shot :p

FCPnewbie
Dec 27, 2007, 07:22 PM
While we're busy dreaming features into the iPhone, why don't we add the iDefibrillator that can jumpstart my heart after my massive coronary at age 30 because I sat on my ass all day doing nothing but chatting with "friends" and ordering coffee.
Can we also include the iScale app that helps me keep track of the weight I've put on per day sitting in my over-sized chair doing nothing and make it somehow calculate my body fat percentage and trigger an alarm when I reach critical Rosie O'Donnell levels.
While we're at it, let's add the iLoathe app that repeats over and over how much I hate my life cause I'm such a fattie and have no real friends. Maybe iLoathe can also automatically download depressing music from Starbucks and motivational videos by Tony Robbins.

trevelyn
Dec 27, 2007, 08:03 PM
Neat concept. However... would be completely useless to me at Starbucks. I know plenty of people find Starbucks to be a wonderful place and their drinks to be just as nice. I do not. I've sampled a lot of their drinks, including their green teas. I must say... it's one of the nastiest places one can buy a drink from.

I suppose I'm spoiled. I'm used to having my tea imported on a monthly basis and I have yet to find anything in the US to equal. I think it also has a lot to do with psychological point of view. I have always linked Coffee with the idea of stress, 9-5 jobs, etc. Tea on the other hand... specific tea, really, has always reminded me of things that are just the opposite. Including memories of great times. heheh :p

quigleybc
Dec 27, 2007, 08:20 PM
The U.S. is way behind Japan in the use of mobile phones for making purchases. Perhaps this will help the west catch up.

At least in the U.S you are allowed to own an iPhone

bloodycape
Dec 27, 2007, 08:27 PM

This a good point as this is old news in Korea and Japan. Hell you can swipe your phone to get on a subway in those places.

AidenShaw
Dec 27, 2007, 08:31 PM
At least in the U.S you are allowed to own an iPhone

And, fortunately, we can choose not to....

springerj
Dec 27, 2007, 08:48 PM
umm, can't find the "another Margarita" application in the iPhone.

Gosh. Now you got my interest. Starbucks I can wait in line for.
Maragaritas should be ordered sitting down and delivered, so you don't get lost.

TimothyG
Dec 27, 2007, 09:10 PM
Once they announced the iPhone/iPod touch partnership with Starbucks, I figured something like this would surface. I just wonder what company is next to partner with Apple like Starbucks.

In any case, it would be cool to have payment via iTunes login. That would be a nice feature.

jbernie
Dec 27, 2007, 09:24 PM
Once they announced the iPhone/iPod touch partnership with Starbucks, I figured something like this would surface. I just wonder what company is next to partner with Apple like Starbucks.

In any case, it would be cool to have payment via iTunes login. That would be a nice feature.

How about an iDrive connection for BMW? Kinda like a remote control. Though it better be a low power connection, maybe a bluetooth connection so you have to register or something, otherwise some people could have an awful lot of fun fooling with your setting while in traffic. ie Grandpa suddenly listening to the death metal station with the volume set to 11. :)

MacFly123
Dec 27, 2007, 11:24 PM

Love your work, just thought you might want to know I think there are a couple typos on your website page on the 9th website, it says FIGURIE, I think you meant FIGURINE right??? It's on the listing of number nine and on the page for number nine too.

Sorry, I am OCD with design stuff lol, I thought you might want to know :) Really love your work :)

TurboSC
Dec 28, 2007, 01:38 AM
wow. Brilliant work! I love that mockup bro. Not too over the top, very Apple... Are you a graphic designer? or just do it for fun?

MrSmith
Dec 28, 2007, 04:30 AM
In a similar vein, I've just taught my daughter which button to press so she can bring me my wake-me-up coffee in bed in the morning.

madmax_2069
Dec 28, 2007, 06:27 AM
lol nice ideal, i hope they call it iOrder

rtdunham
Dec 28, 2007, 08:14 AM

for the same reason you won't buy it now: even though one analyst has predicted the stock will go to $600/share in 18 months, you know the stock price could fall, too. When it was at $5 the stock probably seemed like no more of a bargain than it does today. Hindsight's great, but not of much use in calculating future investments.

rtdunham
Dec 28, 2007, 08:18 AM
... I would love to see Delicious (http://www.delicious-monster.com/) integrated into the iPhone (maybe once the SDK comes out). Use the iPhone's camera to take a picture of a product's barcode, and then iPhone contacts a database and pulls up lots of details on the product (e.g., reviews, video previews, etc.)...

that's a great idea. an iPhone app waiting to be written by the delicious monster folks. a legitimate, useful extension of the hardware.

lazyrighteye
Dec 28, 2007, 12:03 PM
Could be HUGE.

MacPanda
Dec 29, 2007, 06:02 AM

Hey, where is the muffin menu?

peace,

macpanda.

savanahrose
Dec 30, 2007, 12:52 PM
Nothing is wrong with Starbucks - ok maybe one thing. They use T-Mobile which means you have to pay for wireless, where as most places offer "FREE" Wifi.
My daughter was in McDonalds and they say wifi but you have to pay 5 bucks for it. Over at Books a Million if you don't have their card they charge you. Since I have a card I don't worry about that one.

Which places have it free of charge other than hotel rooms?

GuillaumeB
Dec 30, 2007, 08:12 PM
I just dont get it - how do you download the coffee?

lol HILARIOUS :)

eric55lv
Dec 30, 2007, 10:19 PM
that seems covient im busy and sont have time to get lets say eggs order them and pick them up so its really neat

Orng
Jan 8, 2008, 07:30 AM
that seems covient im busy and sont have time to get lets say eggs order them and pick them up so its really neat

Wow, you are a busy person... Too busy to string together a coherent sentence!
:)

AJsAWiz
Jan 8, 2008, 11:37 AM
Wow, you are a busy person... Too busy to string together a coherent sentence!
:)

Your response was hilarious! ROTFL