PDA

View Full Version : Why did the heck did Apple. . .

MyDesktopBroke
Dec 27, 2007, 11:33 AM
Remove the option to manually turn on the backlight by holding the 'menu' button on the iPod classic? It was such a handy feature as I wear my iPod to bed each night. Every time I want to skip a song I don't want the backlight to come on because it's very bright, but if I turn it off completely I can't see the screen in the morning with out standing in a brightly lit room.The rest of the iPod classic is pefect, I just don't understand Apples choice to remove a feature from an iPod.

Eraserhead
Dec 27, 2007, 11:43 AM
They removed it with a software update for the 5G iPod so you could return to the main menu.

MyDesktopBroke
Dec 27, 2007, 05:34 PM
Yeah, by pressing it, right? But why couldn't they have it turn on the backlight by holding for 2 seconds or something? I can return to the main menu on my old iPod and still turn on the backlight by holding it down. Was there a bug on the 5g iPod(I skipped a few generations) that prevented you from getting to the menu?

milo
Dec 27, 2007, 06:07 PM
Yeah, by pressing it, right? But why couldn't they have it turn on the backlight by holding for 2 seconds or something? I can return to the main menu on my old iPod and still turn on the backlight by holding it down. Was there a bug on the 5g iPod(I skipped a few generations) that prevented you from getting to the menu?

Pressing it for two seconds IS what takes you all the way back.

One press goes up one menu. A long press goes all the way to the top.

Techguy172
Dec 27, 2007, 06:12 PM
They Probably took it out because the new feature is a better one.

zephead
Dec 27, 2007, 07:43 PM
This is one of the things I was sorta peeved about when I bought a 5G iPod. Apple could've at least made it an option in the settings menu.

MyDesktopBroke
Dec 28, 2007, 02:14 PM
Please explain why holding the button for top menu is better than removing a feature that you can't get any more? At most it should only take about 3-4 pushes on the menu button any way. You can get to the top menu faster by pushing a bunch of times than by holding it.

I agree with zep head: why take out a feature when you can leave it in and have options?

milo
Dec 28, 2007, 03:00 PM
Please explain why holding the button for top menu is better than removing a feature that you can't get any more? At most it should only take about 3-4 pushes on the menu button any way. You can get to the top menu faster by pushing a bunch of times than by holding it.

I agree with zep head: why take out a feature when you can leave it in and have options?

I prefer the new way. An option would be nice for those who prefer the old way, but I'd have no use for that. I'd rather have the shortcut to go all the way up.