Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebpayne

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
My old PowerBook 12" 1.5GHz (two years soon) is falling apart. It gets far far too hot on my lap, the whole thing is wonky and moves from side-to-side and the CD-felt has fallen off. Oh and the HDD failed last year so multiple screws are missing as well. I take it around with me everyday - it is falling apart and needs replacing soon.

The two options I can currently see are either an Asus EeePC with Xubuntu or a cheap MacBook. The EeePC is small, light and will do what I want on the move (internet, typing, IMing) with the advantage of being £220! Obviously, no OS X is bad but it seems a good option. The other one is to get a MacBook - it's larger than my current one but has better shell, is much more powerful and a better screen. I can run all the Mac applications I know as on the PowerBook but a significant investment is required.

I own a MBP 17" as my main machine I tend not to take around with me too much due to the bulk but like the power of the thing. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Get the Asus.
You already have a Powerful mac laptop, and you want something lighter and compact, Linux is great, way more customizable than OSX or Windows with pretty much all the same features.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I have the ASUS. I liked it so much, I bought another.

I have not booted up my Macbook since I got them.

I do have a Macbook Pro, though, for the times when only OSX will do.

Check the community forum; http://forum.eeeuser.com to read about all the pros and cons. And where to get hold of one (they're pretty scarce).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I have an Eee also, and really enjoy it. :) It has some minor kinks, but it's generally quite good. Be aware that Xubuntu on the Eee is still a bit of a work in progress... one or two things still don't work exactly right. That'll get resolved very soon, but it is an issue at the very moment.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yeah, I got mine when they first came out (about seven weeks ago)... with the rumors of a lighter Mac notebook solidifying, waiting is definitely reasonable, although they are not likely to be direct competitors. I have a hard time imagining whatever Apple has planned as costing less than three times what the Eee costs. The Eee is basically a fun experiment that's turned into a very usable notebook that is so much more accommodating to my briefcase than any other notebook I've owned.

Incidentally, my Christmas project was to install Ubuntu on it and encrypt the SSD. It works beautifully. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.