PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum vs. Titanium

BiPolar
Oct 5, 2003, 04:48 PM
Has anyone noticed heat problems in their new aluminum pb's? I had heard that the original 12'' ones got a little hot nad I was wondering if the changing all of them to aluminum has spread the problem.

Gus
Oct 5, 2003, 09:01 PM
The bottom of my 12" PB (1 Ghz model) gets hot, but not the palm rest likde the previous one seemed to. I haven't really noticed it being a big deal. It hasn't gotten so hot to be uncomfortable.

Regards,
Gus

idea_hamster
Oct 5, 2003, 09:04 PM
It's my understanding that the high-speed G4 chips are all going to run very hot.

Until the Powerbooks get a 90nm-process G5 chip, the high-speed models are all going to have hot bottoms.

My guess is that the metal case actually reduces the temperature of the spot nearest the chip by conducting heat away and spreading it over a larger area.

Counterfit
Oct 5, 2003, 09:18 PM
Which is most likely one of the reasons for the move to aluminum. Better heat transfer and lower cost, for only a slight weight and "coolness" penalty. Not that aluminum is crap, just not as exotic as titanium...

fraeone
Oct 6, 2003, 12:52 AM
A 90nm G5 is still going to run hot.

MacBandit
Oct 6, 2003, 01:24 AM
The current model of G4s (7447 or 7457) being used in the new Aluminum PowerBooks run at half the wattage of the old G4s (10watts vs. 20watts). This means less heat production.

QCassidy352
Oct 6, 2003, 01:33 AM
my 12" 1 Ghz albook doesn't get hot, just a little warm. No more so than the ibook it replaced, truth be told. I would never even think about it if not for the long-standing heat issue with the Rev. A 12" that always gets mentioned.

ColoJohnBoy
Oct 6, 2003, 02:51 AM
When I'm on my 1GHz TiBook for more than a little while, or I'm playing graphics-heavy games like The Sims or SimCity 4, it can get incredibly hot. Not hot enough to burn me or anything, but hot enough that I have to take it off my lap and close it down for a little while.

Everybody with the 15" Aluminum PowerBook, though, has said that it never gets more than just a little warm.

BiPolar
Oct 6, 2003, 09:01 AM
Wonderful! Now all I have to do is save up some money to buy one!

yamabushi
Oct 6, 2003, 09:26 AM
Has anyone tried the Nexus laptop heat-pipe cooler? My impression is that it could work well with the aluminum powerbooks.

MacBandit
Oct 6, 2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by yamabushi
Has anyone tried the Nexus laptop heat-pipe cooler? My impression is that it could work well with the aluminum powerbooks.

Well from all reports about the aluminum laptop they have no need for it because they get warm but never hot.

yamabushi
Oct 6, 2003, 10:09 PM
I wonder if it might help increase battery life a bit? Doesn't the Powerbook use a fan for cooling? Cooler might mean a hair faster as well.

MacBandit
Oct 6, 2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by yamabushi
I wonder if it might help increase battery life a bit? Doesn't the Powerbook use a fan for cooling? Cooler might mean a hair faster as well.

As I was saying earlier the new chips produce half the heat the old ones do and due to that the fans shouldn't be running all that much. The reports on the new Aluminum Powerbooks I have read seem to confirm that.

The best way to save battery life and extend the backlight life of the LCD at the same time is to turn the brightness down to your minimum acceptable level. This can increase your battery life significantly in some situations. Also adding ram helps since the hard drive needs to be accessed less often.

dennis88
Oct 7, 2003, 03:11 AM
Mine is not hot at all!
Apple did a great job with this one.