Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
Hey, I am looking to buy a new iMac after MacWorld and am looking at the 2.0 Ghz model. It looks pretty good except the the graphics card it a little bit less powerful then its higher range brothers. I have been wondering for some time now how it preforms in world of warcraft and I have seen little to no information on this subject after searching. So I was wondering how it would preform I am going to be running Kara and a lot of higher scale raids on it a lot however I have absolutely no problem putting everything on its lowest setting I couldn't care less how it looks as long as it works. Thanks.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
I had the exact same question when I was thinking of purchasing my imac. I ended up going with the 2.4ghz 20 inch model, and it runs WoW like a dream. Anyways, alot of the feedback that I got was that it would be better to dish out teh extra $200 and go for it. You get a WAYYYYY better video card, more HD, and I forget the other part of it.

Good luck.

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
I had the exact same question when I was thinking of purchasing my imac. I ended up going with the 2.4ghz 20 inch model, and it runs WoW like a dream. Anyways, alot of the feedback that I got was that it would be better to dish out teh extra $200 and go for it. You get a WAYYYYY better video card, more HD, and I forget the other part of it.

Good luck.

Yeah hey thanks I might end up getting the 2.4 but uhh idk I want it now!! :D it would only take a little bit longer to get the money for it I guess and my birthday is in Jan so I haven't accounted that and I have 1025$ now (I got a deal for the 2.0 900$ I could get the 2.4 for 1125$ too btw) but idk now that I look at it its only 100$ more I may as well save for it but I think if the 2.0 does what I need it won't matter much the only thing I am concerned about is the games otherwise I believe the 2.0 will be great. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Wilson1984

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2007
2.0 ghz
250 gb HD
128 meg vid card

2.4 ghz
320 gb HD
256 vid card

Go with the upgrade for sure. Esp for gaming.

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
Your talking me into it hehe I'll look over my finances tomorrow and decide however I started this thread to see the performance of the 2.0s GPU I mean if its not that bad Ill save the money but I could use the bigger hdd too.

Mushrooshi

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
Demo runs OK on my Macbook (not pro) 2.16ghz 1gbram with the crappy graphics card on medium settings.

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
HEHE well I went over how much money I have and apperently it's 23.25$ off of the cost of the 2.4 20' iMac :cool: :D :p so I think I know what iMac I am getting. Hehe Im happy thanks for the help.

miller218

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
Gratz, I think you'll be a lot happier with the 2.4. Get another gig of memory ASAP, it should only be 30-40 bucks.

HEHE well I went over how much money I have and apperently it's 23.25$ off of the cost of the 2.4 20' iMac :cool: :D :p so I think I know what iMac I am getting. Hehe Im happy thanks for the help.

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
Gratz, I think you'll be a lot happier with the 2.4. Get another gig of memory ASAP, it should only be 30-40 bucks.

Thanks I think I will be too and I will try and get the extra GB as fast as I can but I'm not going to have much in the way of cash after the iMac although if I can find it for 30-40 it will come soon enough.

Coder

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Victoria BC
I just got a mid-range iMac (2.4Ghz/1GB RAM/2600 Pro 256MB) and it plays WoW beautifully. There are 2 options which greatly reduce the framerate - Full Screen Glow, and turning multisampling above 1x. The glow effect is very subtle and cuts framerates in half or more. Multisampling is not quite as big a framerate hit, and while it does smooth jagged edges a little bit, the iMac screen has pretty high pixel density and the jaggies are not that noticeable most of the time. I don't think it's worth enabling multisampling on the iMac.

Otherwise, all options are maxed out, playing at 1680x1050, and it's usually 50+ frames per second, occasionally dropping to 30 or so in busy areas. The colors and detail are fantastic, and it looks much better than on my old PC with a 7600GT and generic 19" widescreen LCD. The stock 1GB of RAM is plenty for most areas, but it will stutter a bit in the major cities, and I do plan to upgrade to 2GB.

I would definitely spend the extra money for the mid-range iMac though, the base model with the 128MB 2400XT will not allow you to crank all the settings to high and still get really smooth framerates.

This iMac is easily the best computer I've ever had, and I'm really happy with how WoW plays on it.

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
I just got a mid-range iMac (2.4Ghz/1GB RAM/2600 Pro 256MB) and it plays WoW beautifully. There are 2 options which greatly reduce the framerate - Full Screen Glow, and turning multisampling above 1x. The glow effect is very subtle and cuts framerates in half or more. Multisampling is not quite as big a framerate hit, and while it does smooth jagged edges a little bit, the iMac screen has pretty high pixel density and the jaggies are not that noticeable most of the time. I don't think it's worth enabling multisampling on the iMac.

Otherwise, all options are maxed out, playing at 1680x1050, and it's usually 50+ frames per second, occasionally dropping to 30 or so in busy areas. The colors and detail are fantastic, and it looks much better than on my old PC with a 7600GT and generic 19" widescreen LCD. The stock 1GB of RAM is plenty for most areas, but it will stutter a bit in the major cities, and I do plan to upgrade to 2GB.

I would definitely spend the extra money for the mid-range iMac though, the base model with the 128MB 2400XT will not allow you to crank all the settings to high and still get really smooth framerates.

This iMac is easily the best computer I've ever had, and I'm really happy with how WoW plays on it.

Wow nice thanks yeah since I only have about 23$ left before I can get a 2.4 iMac I think I'll get that.

Its almost like required I mean it's not very much money to go for the 1500$ one. Only thing now is paying for tax (you have to pay tax online correct? :D) but my birthday is the 14th I may be able to scrounge it by then. I'm excited and dont want to wait but whatever.

Coder

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Victoria BC
At Future Shop (in Canada), most Macs are on sale this week and the iMac I bought was $100 off - maybe you can find a deal like that and get yours a little earlier :)

Or if you can get one at educational price, it's also about $100 less.

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
At Future Shop (in Canada), most Macs are on sale this week and the iMac I bought was $100 off - maybe you can find a deal like that and get yours a little earlier :)

Or if you can get one at educational price, it's also about $100 less.

Yeah uhh I'm getting it at about uhh 25% off :eek: also I am being made to wait otherwise I would try and find pennies for tax.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I can see from your sig that u have a 2.33 MBP, i guess the iMac 2.0 will be slightly slower

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.