PDA

View Full Version : Options to play iTunes music on non-iPod MP3 players?

loudasthesun
Dec 28, 2007, 07:11 AM
I have a 3rd generation iPod (the one with 4 buttons on top of the wheel, no click wheel, black/white screen)... it's pretty damn old and I'm looking to replace it with a new MP3 player, but I don't want another iPod.

The only thing stopping me right now is the fact that you can't play iTunes-purchased music on non-iPod MP3 players. Unfortunately I never foresaw this problem, and so I have quite a bit of music bought from iTunes. I did a little bit of researching and it seems one way to circumvent this is to burn each album on a CD and rip them back into MP3 format. Are there any other options?

And before anyone says it, I'm set on buying a non-iPod MP3 player so buying an iPod is not an option.

On a side note, does anyone else here have a non-iPod MP3 player they're happy with? I have a couple ones in mind but I'd like to know what other Mac users use, and how compatible they are with iTunes (and OSX in general).

Much Ado
Dec 28, 2007, 07:13 AM
Rip to CD and then re-import, yes.

Why the iPod hate?

LeftoverCrack
Jan 15, 2008, 10:17 AM
i have this same issue.
i dont like ipods because of their limited use with only itunes. and because i cant use napster with them.

maxrobertson
Jan 15, 2008, 04:03 PM
Didn't Napster go DRM free? So can't you now?

LeftoverCrack
Jan 21, 2008, 12:00 AM
only for 'purchased ' tracks. the normal subscription tracks are all DRM still. which is a shame.

r.j.s
Jan 21, 2008, 12:03 AM
There are some programs out there that will automatically simulate burning a cd and then reimport them for you. And there are some that will do it using a CDRW too. That may make it a bit easier to convert your library.

bloodycape
Jan 21, 2008, 03:40 AM
I know there is a few mp3 that support ACC plus tracks so if you have any of those that is one option. There also use to be a itunes drm software that stripped the drm out of the music, but I forget its name.

If you want a fair and unbaised reviews and answers on all your dap needs try dapreview.net. They can also help you find software to strip out the drm.

aross99
Jan 21, 2008, 08:53 AM
As far as I know, the burn/rip cycle is the way to go to strip the DRM. There were some other software options to strip the fairplay from the file, but I don't know how effective they were.

I would start burning, and then rip them back onto your new player...

MyDesktopBroke
Jan 21, 2008, 08:53 AM
If you want, you can use Audacity to record the songs as .aifc files, which iTunes can convert to mp3/acc.

aethelbert
Jan 21, 2008, 08:43 PM
Is it possible to do the burn/rip stuff while keeping the track titles, artist, album art, etc? Which program would I use to do this (on OS X)?

FrenzyBanana
Jan 22, 2008, 01:08 AM
I have a 3rd generation iPod (the one with 4 buttons on top of the wheel, no click wheel, black/white screen)... it's pretty damn old and I'm looking to replace it with a new MP3 player, but I don't want another iPod.

The only thing stopping me right now is the fact that you can't play iTunes-purchased music on non-iPod MP3 players.

i think ipod is the best mp3 player
with videos, movies, pnodcast and up to 160gb disk space capacity
with online store. and itunes the best way to put files on mp3 player

what are the non ipod mp3 players?
is that a psp? nds? why them if you have an ipod
is that a pc mp3 player? theres itunes
you can use ipod on car stereo too

Nadav
Jan 22, 2008, 02:04 PM
i think ipod is the best mp3 player
with videos, movies, pnodcast and up to 160gb disk space capacity
with online store. and itunes the best way to put files on mp3 player

what are the non ipod mp3 players?
is that a psp? nds? why them if you have an ipod
is that a pc mp3 player? theres itunes
you can use ipod on car stereo too

My friend has an mp3 player called the archos which has a 160 gb hardrive, touch screen, larger display than the touch, internet, and its for the same price as the touch. The only thing thats worse about it is that its thicker than the touch, but I'll stay with my current video iPod. :cool:

bloodycape
Jan 22, 2008, 11:29 PM
with the dock the Archos 605 can also record straight from your tv, can do voice recording, and view all the videos on youtube. Then again it also does divx and other video and audio formats the Touch is not able to do.