Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Hey guys just wanted to let you guys know my experience with Doom 3 for mac. Well first i downloaded the demo and it seemed pretty cool. SO, i went ahead and got it from the apple store. I was to impatient from buying it from ebay.

My stats: 17'' iMac Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz with 2 Gb Ram.

i installed it by moving the doom3 folder to my applications. Then i began. You NEED the disk inside the mac to make it run. Although they say there are mods to do it so that you don't need a disk but then they say it wouldn't work on leopard, and then, blah blah blah.

After installing i double clicked it and i hear the sound but the screen was BLACK. I thought. WTF??!!? So then i remember there was a patch from the web site to make it universal. So i installed the patch and BOOM. the game started awsome. I wanted the screen to take up the whole screen so i held down the apple button and double clicked it. then checked to have 1440 X 900(i think) That filled up the screen and then it was awsome.

Oh the graphics are GREAT on my computer. NO Lag WHAT SO EVER. The story line is cool, and the bad guys are scary.. As i get more into the levels it starts getting REALLY scary. NO joke. There is a part where your in the bathroom and it's dark and quiet, and you look at the mirror, the screen turns red and then the demons come out of nowhere and start shooting, while you see red.. Scary ****! Or when the pathway is dark and you here a laughing sound and then a whisper of a little child saying help me... I'm telling you this game starts getting scarier and scarier. The darker the rooms you take your flash light and ... Well it's just scary. I'm not talking like you'll have nightmares but it's a great improvement from the previous virsions.

BTW, i dont care if this is a old game, i don't play my games due to how new it is, if it's good game i'll play it...PERIOD.

Well since i started getting more and more hooked on the game i didn't want to get to the end level so soon. Even though i do'nt know how far i am from it. So I past myself. I'll play it for like 30 minutes every 2-5 days. So yesterday i was itching to play it but i didn't want to get to far and didn't have much time to play. I went to Multiplayer mode and SICK!.. I got to play against other members with doom. It was FAST ( i have cable internet from comcast). Really kept me intertained for a good 30 minutes.

The best part is once i beat the game i can play different level of difficulty. And also i can look online for Mods! So i will be looking foward to that.

Anyway if anyone liked the old doom, this is a great upgrade. I think you could get it on ebay for like $30-$45, at the apple store here was $49.99. Anyway i was planning on playing it, beating it, and selling it on ebay. But now, with so many mods, multiplayer mode, difficulty levels.

If you ask me, i rate it a 5 out of 5 star rating.

PS-Please, if you buy it and the screen is black but you hear the sound and you have intel, don't go bashing the game... GO ONLINE AND DOWNLOAD THE UNIVERSAL PATCH. that will take care of the problem!

Thanks.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Congrats on being one of the few people to give this game a positive review. :) It got bashed pretty hard when it came out. For myself, while I didn't like it as much as you, I didn't hate it, either. Check out Quake IV and Prey, which use the same game engine.

--Eric

billmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
...Check out Quake IV and Prey...--Eric

I played the demo for Prey and although the graphics looks AWSOME!, The game was just a little bit discusting. The puss looking thing in the wall and huge cockroach looking creatures with hairs on their back... Nasty

As for Quake IV i'm thinking that will most likely be my next game. I've seen good things on the game and saw someone play it on youtube. I think i just might get it next week. I'll keep you guys posted. in the mean while Doom is SICK! Is there internet player mode for Quake?

oseary

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Columbia, MO
As for Quake IV i'm thinking that will most likely be my next game. I've seen good things on the game and saw someone play it on youtube. I think i just might get it next week. I'll keep you guys posted. in the mean while Doom is SICK! Is there internet player mode for Quake?

Quake is awesome. I played it for the PC before I got my Mac, and totally loved it. You shouldn't be disappointed if you loved DOOM. :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Doom 3's alright... but after 4 hours of seeing the same corridor, the same routine of open door, monster stood behind door, find switch down dark corridor, zombie in corridor, it all gets highly predictable and begins to grate.

The first hours are the best, before the boredom and repetition takes over and the only thing scary is the lack of originality, new ideas, skill or fun.

Quake 4 was an improvement, but only in the same sense that one turd has sweetcorn and one doesn't... ;) ID seem to have lost the ability to produce a decent game or a graphics engine that doesn't render everything with a plastic veneer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.